GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,770 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The X-Files» Forums » General

Subject: Will The X-files be released this year. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know here that the release date has been pushed to October, from initially a July release date it has currently been pushed 3 months, does anyone know the reason behind such delays and should we expect any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I found weird, is that they have an unfinished prototype at GenCon. If the game isn't finished yet, I think it is a bit crazy to put a release date on it and to move it all the time.

Let's hope October is realistic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i wouldn't assume that because they have an prototype at Gencon means the game isn't being manufactured or it is unfinished. The prototype is show because they don't have a manufacturing copy yet. My guess is something got delayed with fox approving the content, licensors are sometimes slow at approving content. They are busy or they have strong opinions about how to represent things etc, so it can slow down a release. It takes a few months to manufacture and ship a game. They also have to check a proof of the content to make sure there is no defects or mistakes in the published version. So it is very possible that it will release on time for october. It all depends on where in the process the game is. Hopefully it won't delay over a year like Galaxy Trucker the 2nd expansion. The game looked pretty complete/finished from the Gencon demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Myers
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Apparently they are waiting on approvals from Fox. That's probably why we haven't seen any of the final components yet. They may be ready but they cannot be shown yet. So hopefully that won't affect the release more than it already has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are people hypothesizing that it is FOX taking literally months to approve some art or text on cards, seriously it was meant to be released in July, surely the first things that would have been done was getting approval from FOX on what art and text can be used, a 3 month+ delay seems excessive just for some art and text approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Myers
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
locherbread wrote:
are people hypothesizing that it is FOX taking literally months to approve some art or text on cards, seriously it was meant to be released in July, surely the first things that would have been done was getting approval from FOX on what art and text can be used, a 3 month+ delay seems excessive just for some art and text approval.
Well they can't approve the art until it has actually been made, so that can't be the 'first' thing they do. Also you would have to assume that they would want to look at the final production prototypes, so that would push it further towards the end of the production cycle. At that point in production it is easy to assume that an additional delay from Fox would have a series of knock-on delays that would affect the release date.

Truth is, we're all just speculating. But the last I heard about a month or so ago is that they were waiting on Fox. If you've heard something different, please share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
constantkarma wrote:
locherbread wrote:
Well they can't approve the art until it has actually been made, so that can't be the 'first' thing they do. Also you would have to assume that they would want to look at the final production prototypes, so that would push it further towards the end of the production cycle. At that point in production it is easy to assume that an additional delay from Fox would have a series of knock-on delays that would affect the release date.

Truth is, we're all just speculating. But the last I heard about a month or so ago is that they were waiting on Fox. If you've heard something different, please share.

You are probably right FOX are perhaps being very stringent on what can and cannot be used, which is dragging out the production, but still delay upon delay is not good for business, neither is showing your game at Gencon using what looked liked prototype material, not exactly inspiring confidence towards the October release.

Then you have FFG at the other end of the spectrum, showcasing Star Wars Imperial Assault for example, which wont be released till 2015 yet looked like a release version and they would need Disney's approval on content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Murray
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Art is fully approved.Game is underway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a game can easily take two months just in manufacturing + shipment from manufacturer, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an October release. Really, I would not expect at all a 2014 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Murray
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
rmaia wrote:
a game can easily take
ust in manufacturing + shipment from manufacturer, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an October release. Really, I would not expect at all a 2014 release.

Please don't hold your breath til October.That may be dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locherbread wrote:
constantkarma wrote:
locherbread wrote:

You are probably right FOX are perhaps being very stringent on what can and cannot be used, which is dragging out the production, but still delay upon delay is not good for business, neither is showing your game at Gencon using what looked liked prototype material, not exactly inspiring confidence towards the October release.

Then you have FFG at the other end of the spectrum, showcasing Star Wars Imperial Assault for example, which wont be released till 2015 yet looked like a release version and they would need Disney's approval on content.

I have worked with licensors many times or been with companies that have waited approval for art and text, and sometimes it takes months, even with prodding, asking, begging and keep asking for approval, they still take their time. Sometimes it comes back perfect other times they have suggestions and then the whole thing starts again. As crazy as it sounds it happens all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf_ripper wrote:
locherbread wrote:
constantkarma wrote:
locherbread wrote:

I have worked with licensors many times or been with companies that have waited approval for art and text, and sometimes it takes months, even with prodding, asking, begging and keep asking for approval, they still take their time. Sometimes it comes back perfect other times they have suggestions and then the whole thing starts again. As crazy as it sounds it happens all the time.

Why would they have the initial release date as July if they didn't have approval from Fox? now it looks likely the game wont even be released in 2014 - very disappointed, I hope those who do purchase it find the game they are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent message to IDW Games on facebook and got these answers today:

(Me) - Have FOX given you final approval so that the game is sent to production?

(IDW Games) - Yep!

(Me) - So the timeline that the game will come out in October is right?

(IDW Games) - Should be set for October. Production 4 weeks, shipping two states 2 weeks, shipping to distributor 1 week. That said, this is all now the part we can't control, so it's a cross our fingers and wait situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swYck wrote:
I sent message to IDW Games on facebook and got these answers today:

(Me) - Have FOX given you final approval so that the game is sent to production?

(IDW Games) - Yep!

(Me) - So the timeline that the game will come out in October is right?

(IDW Games) - Should be set for October. Production 4 weeks, shipping two states 2 weeks, shipping to distributor 1 week. That said, this is all now the part we can't control, so it's a cross our fingers and wait situation.

He only mentions shipping to "the States" as in the great old USA the only country that matters, I would not hold your breath for an EU release this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there's that other big Boardgame-Faire in October in Germany maybe they are that generous and show up there with some games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.