GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damaged Engine Crit and Turning while Stressed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damaged Engine: "Treat all turn maneuvers (but not blank maneuvers) as red maneuvers."

So, my opponent's ship had an active stress token and a "Damaged Engine" crit card. He attempted to do a soft three turn which the crit card indicates is to be treated as a red maneuver.

Would this mean that my opponent would then be subjected to me choosing his movement for him (as the rule states) because he attempted a red turn maneuver while he was already stressed? Or does this rule not apply when it starts out as a natural white turn but becomes red due to the crit card?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystical_1 wrote:
Damaged Engine: "Treat all turn maneuvers (but not blank maneuvers) as red maneuvers."

So, my opponent's ship had an active stress token and a "Damaged Engine" crit card. He attempted to do a soft three turn which the crit card indicates is to be treated as a red maneuver.

Would this mean that my opponent would then be subjected to me choosing his movement for him (as the rule states) because he attempted a red turn maneuver while he was already stressed? Or does this rule not apply when it starts out as a natural white turn but becomes red due to the crit card?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Two things:

If he had chosen a turn maneuver, then you could have chosen his maneuver for him - whether the maneuver is red because of the dial or because of the crit card.

But what you call "soft turn", the game calls "bank" - and the card doesn't say anything about "blank" maneuvers, but about "bank" ones, too. Your opponent chose a bank three, the crit card does not make banks red, so he gets to do what he chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if it had been a sharp "turn" than it would have immediately constituted a red turn under previous stress and the rule would apply. Thanks!

I didn't know there was a difference between a bank and a turn, thought a turn was a turn, either sharp or soft.

That's good to know, but he wasn't realy arguing about only that, he was arguing about when the crit takes affect, the timing. He said that because its a white turn on the counter when he does it, it isn't a red move under stress no matter what degree of turn/bank it is, so the rule wouldn't apply.

He was saying that only after he finishes his move, does the card crit make it a red move; so having previous stress evoke the rule. His move was a white one because it was white on the counter; the crit card doesn't apply until after his turn/bank has been made.

Anyway, this guy should have been a lawyer; keeps trying to find little loopholes in everything, lol. Thanks for the time and help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
When Damaged Engine makes a maneuver red it makes it red even before you reveal the dial. There is no timing issue.

When in doubt, read and interpret the card text as literally as you can.

You can usually only receive one stress token from your own initiative. But there are ways to give other players pilots more stress tokens in some pilot skills/upgrades/epic ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, that was the heart of his argument and you destroyed that part of it, as well. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.