GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,612 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Patchistory» Forums » General

Subject: Will it always be 3+ hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone comment on how long Patchistory takes to play for experienced players? Will it always be 3+ hours? I read or heard somewhere that someone's intro game took four.
As much as I want to try out this game I have to be realistic. Only the "best game ever!" will get repeat plays if it takes this long to play (and learn). I really like Nations, but I've only played it twice and I got it as soon as it arrived.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on who you are playing with. Advice if you are concerned with play time: don't play with people with AP, as they extend play times of all games. Actually, just consider AP the enemy in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can usually do the 2 player game in 2 hours or less. 3+ players is still 3+ hours for us even after several plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
We can usually do the 2 player game in 2 hours or less. 3+ players is still 3+ hours for us even after several plays.

same here and with 4 players even longer !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 4-player games usually take ~2 hours.

The Management step (when the bulk of the decision making is done)can be, and should be, performed simultaneously be all players. This continues to be true until about 2/3 of the way through the game, until it becomes necessary to know what people are doing on their turns. At this point we usually do our Management steps in turn-order.

But whenever you can, just do Management at the same time. You'll cut an hour off the game-time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 4p in about 2.5 hours, but only with experienced players. It requires some discipline (people need to make it clear when they're finished with their management phase) but it's doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It took our 4 player game about 4hrs as well.
Infact, in the 2nd half we had to speed through as we were way over time, so if we played normal speed, it would have taken 5+ hours.

I really enjoyed the game, but it was definitely way too long.
Will be looking at ways to speed it up otherwise it will rarely hit the table again regardless of how good it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.