GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Collective OP2 - Full Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Little
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our Collective OP 2 event this past week, and I wanted to post our full session report again.

This event had very interesting results because some of our newer players did very well this time and some of our veterans did very poorly. I think this event requires a very straightforward approach and the veterans got too tied up trying to game the system that they ended up over-thinking it.

Will's list was interesting, and I liked the concept of weakening ships to make it easier for the cube to destroy them, but I think the relatively few dice the Cube is throwing out when there are a bunch of ships on the board just aren't very effective at destroying ships. The vast majority of matches very few ships were destroyed during the hour time limit.

Hopefully this will provide a little bit of insight into what lists are and aren't effective.

My takeaway from this event is that more ships and dice is generally better than fewer ships with effective dice. That bonus you get at the end of each round for each ship that hit as long as all your ships fired really adds up.

Results
1. Glen
2. Andrew
3. Stephen
4. Will
5. Justin
6. Lance
7. Ricardo
8. Nick
9. Chad
10. Jeff
11. Alex
12. Charlie
13. Scott

Lists
Glen
Record:
1. Win(+1) vs. Nick
2. Win(+1) vs. Justin
3. Win(+1) vs. Will

Total BP: 13
Total FP: 61

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 72 || Round 2 - 82 || Round 3 - 83

List
Resource: Federation Attack Fighters (20)

Constitution Class (20)
Donatra (5)
Ship SP: 25

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Ship SP: 12

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Ship SP: 12

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Clark Terrell (1)
Ship SP: 21

K’T’inga Class (22)
K’Nera (4)
Tritium Intermix (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Andrew
Record:
1. Win(+1) vs. Alex
2. Loss vs. Will
3. Win(+1) vs. Chad

Total BP: 11
Total FP: 360

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 75 || Round 2 - 43 || Round 3 - 107

List
Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)

Soong (38)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (4)
Mr. Spock (6)
Elizabeth Shelby (3)
Tom Paris (5)
High Energy Sensor Sweep (6)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10)
Ship SP: 79

3rd Wing Attack Ship (22)
Dominion Captain (0)
Seskal (4)
Photon Torpedoes (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 119

Stephen
Record:
1. Bye
2. Win(+1) vs. Alex
3. Win vs. Lance

Total BP: 7
Total FP: 111

Cube Damage: Round 1 - n/a || Round 2 - 47 || Round 3 - 34

List
Resource: Command Tokens (5)

Jem'Hadar Battle Cruiser (32)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Captured Intelligence (3)
Amat'Igan (3)
Sensor Array (3)
Ship SP: 48

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Dukat (5)
Invaluable Advice (2)
Boheeka (2)
Cloaking Device (4)
Ship SP: 37

Maquis Raider (20)
Michael Eddington (4)
Lon Suder (2)
Focused Particle Beam (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Will
Record:
1. Win(+1) vs. Charlie
2. Win vs. Andrew
3. Loss vs. Glen

Total BP: 7
Total FP: 282

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 86 || Round 2 - 43 || Round 3 - 47

List
Resource: Fleet Captain Independent (Klingon) (5)

Borg Sphere (38)
Khan Singh (4)
Fleet Captain (0)
Superior Intellect (0)
Borg Tractor Beam (7)
Janice Rand (2)
Crosis (4)
Goval (0)
Ship SP: 55

R.I.S. Apnex (14)
Weyoun (5)
EM Pulse (5)
Emergency Medical Hologram (2)
Varel (4)
Ship SP: 30

Gavroche (22)
Michael Edington (4)
Hijack (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Justin
Record:
1. Win(+1) vs. Scott
2. Loss vs. Glen
3. Win vs. Jeff

Total BP: 7
Total FP: 42

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 63 || Round 2 - 48 || Round 3 - 67

List
Resource: Hideki Class Attack Fighters (20)

U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Dmitri Valtane (3)
Ship SP: 40

Vor'cha Class (26)
Worf (3)
Ship SP: 29

I.K.S. B'Moth (24)
K'Nera (4)
Kunivas (2)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 119

Lance
Record:
1. Win(+1) vs. Chad
2. Win vs. Ricardo
3. Loss vs. Stephen

Total BP: 7
Total FP: 30

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 63 || Round 2 - 41 || Round 3 - 31

List
Resource: Fleet Captain Dominion (5)

Jem'Hadar Battleship (34)
Gul Dukat (5)
Fleet Captain (0)
Captured Intelligence (3)
Ixtana'Rax (2)
Ikat'Ika (5)
Boheeka (2)
Ship SP: 51

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gelnon (3)
Dorsal Weapons Array (3)
Shroud (1)
Tetryon Emissions (3)
Ship SP: 34

IRW Vorta Vor (18)
Livianna Charvanek (4)
Direct Command (2)
Tal (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 113

Ricardo
Record:
1. Win vs. Jeff
2. Loss vs. Lance
3. Win vs. Alex

Total BP: 6
Total FP: 175

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 56 || Round 2 - 41 || Round 3 - 63

List
Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Ship SP: 39

Jem'Hadar Battle Cruiser (32)
Gul Dukat (5)
Amat'Igan (3)
Ship SP: 40

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship (20)
Gul Damar (4)
First Strike (2)
Seskal (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 119

Nick
Record:
1. Loss vs. Glen
2. Loss vs. Jeff
3. Win(+1) vs. Charlie

Total BP: 6
Total FP: 162

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 32 || Round 2 - 30 || Round 3 - 67

List
Resource: Flagship Independent (Dominion) (10)

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Borg Queen (6)
Flagship (0)
Once More Unto The Breach (6)
Cheat Death (6)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (7)
Borg Assimilation Tubules (8)
Ship SP: 79

Maquis Raider (20)
Michael Eddington (4)
Lon Suder (2)
Focused Particle Beam (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 119

Chad
Record:
1. Loss vs. Lance
2. Win(+1) vs. Charlie
3. Loss vs. Andrew

Total BP: 6
Total FP: 64

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 39 || Round 2 - 67 || Round 3 - 35

List
Gor Portas (26)
Gul Danar (2)
Ilia (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Energy Dissipator (5)
Ship SP: 43

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Donatra (4)
Counter Attack (3)
Lojour (3)
Miles O'Brien (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (5)
Energy Dissipator (11)
Ship SP: 47

U.S.S Yeager (22)
Federation Captain (0)
Elizabeth Shelby (2)
Photon Torpedoes (4)
Ship SP: 28

Total Build SP: 118

Jeff
Record:
1. Loss vs. Ricardo
2. Win(+1) vs. Nick
3. Loss vs. Justin

Total BP: 6
Total FP: 60

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 47 || Round 2 - 56 || Round 3 - 60

List
Resource: Counter Attack Die (5)

USS Voyager (30)
Rudolph Ransom (2)
Elizabeth Shelby (2)
Follower of Khan (2)
Ilia (4)
Ship SP: 40

Negh'Var (30)
Martok (5)
Crosis (6)
Interphase Generator (4)
Ship SP: 45

Gavroche (22)
Michael Eddington (4)
Hijack (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Alex
Record:
1. Loss vs. Andrew
2. Loss vs. Stephen
3. Loss vs. Ricardo

Total BP: 4
Total FP: 287

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 30 || Round 2 - 20 || Round 3 - 53

List
Resource: Flagship Klingon (10)

I.K.S. Maht-H'A (28)
Martok (5)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (4)
B'Elanna Torres (5)
Ilia (5)
Tom Paris (5)
Quantum Torpedoes (7)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Advanced Weapon System (5)
Advanced Weapon System (5)
Projected Stasis Field (5)
Ship SP: 79

3rd Wing Attack Ship (22)
Cardassian Captain (0)
Seskal (4)
Photon Torpedoes (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 119

Charlie
Record:
1. Loss vs. Will
2. Loss vs. Chad
3. Loss vs. Nick

Total BP: 4
Total FP: 89

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 24 || Round 2 - 41 || Round 3 - 26

List
Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)

I.K.S. B'Moth (24)
K'Nera (4)
Photon Torpedoes (4)
Tritium Intermix (4)
Ship SP: 36

Negh'Var (30)
Gowron (4)
Flagship (0)
Klingon Boarding Party (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 44

IRW Vorta Vor (18)
Livianna Charvanek (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (4)
Advanced Cloaking (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Scott
Record:
1. Loss vs. Justin
2. DROP

Total BP: 1
Total FP: 1

Cube Damage: Round 1 - 41 || Round 2 - n/a || Round 3 - n/a

List
Resource: Flagship Romulan (10)

Valdore (28)
Donatra (4)
Flagship (0)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (4)
Ship SP: 36

Romulan Bird of Prey (16)
Romulan Captain (0)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Ship SP: 22

Romulan Bird of Prey (16)
Romulan Captain (0)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 21

I.K.S. B'Moth (24)
Klingon Captain (0)
Kunivas (2)
Photon Torpedoes (4)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 119
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In all fairness, I got one very unlucky roll that broke my combo in my 2nd round which probably cost me 2nd place (an outcome of < 0.5%). And the biggest hinderance to my fleet was slow play in the last round :-P (I don't know how many rounds the other matches went but we only barely got through 5).

I took a nearly identical list (and of course the experience from this venue) and went 3-0 at Coliseum with all 3 bonus points. So It is definitely a viable idea. Plus, more fleet points!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Little
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
In all fairness, I got one very unlucky roll that broke my combo in my 2nd round which probably cost me 2nd place (an outcome of < 0.5%). And the biggest hinderance to my fleet was slow play in the last round :-P (I don't know how many rounds the other matches went but we only barely got through 5).

I took a nearly identical list (and of course the experience from this venue) and went 3-0 at Coliseum with all 3 bonus points. So It is definitely a viable idea. Plus, more fleet points!


I know you mentioned that flying your blind buy ship off the map would have been more beneficial than not in your matches, did you find that to be true at Coliseum as well?

From wandering around and watching all the matches it looked like very few of them went over 5 rounds. Did anybody at Coliseum run a swarm at all?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very slight mistake in recording Will's list here. Varel should cost 4, not 2. The total for the ship is correct though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Little
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Knightime32 wrote:
There is a very slight mistake in recording Will's list here. Varel should cost 4, not 2. The total for the ship is correct though.


Good catch, fixed it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I fought a 3 Klingon Build, a 2 Klingon Build, and a 3 Romulan build (all +blind)I did fly my blind off the board in the first round so it meant the 4 ship builds were having all their ships fired upon, and the damage ramp up was quicker after the first 2 kills. All the games ended with like, 15 minutes to spare after I got my damage lead (which often took ~ 10 rounds). noone did the 5 ship thing though, but i switched out for Jammed Communication to help deal with Donatra-Terell-Flagship shenanigansjust in case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
delta_angelfire wrote:
noone did the 5 ship thing though

I'm surprised that no one did. I believe three of the four players at our venue had five ships. I think you'll find that they can generate a lot of hits.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recognize this might be a problem with ME, not the game, but I don't like mixed messages in my games. If I'm playing a cooperative game, I expect my opponent to play in that spirit. I was lucky that my own OP was exactly that. I didn't see any messing with opponents going on, just dogged dedication to outdo your opponent's damage on the BCT.

When it's not a cooperative game, by all means pound me into the table if you can. But people who make alliances with me in games had better come through because if they don't I'll never believe them or ally with them again. I don't play Diplomacy by the way, or any game where double dealing is the normal tactic for playing.

I'm not going to get my wish, but if I did, I'd make the cooperative game rules such that any attempt to mess with your opponent's ships in any way would be prohibited.

Which is why I said in another post that I may not play OP3. I just don't think the average "competitive" player will be able to resist using that 12 dice attack against their opponent from the BCT regardless of the consequences.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerimy O'Mary

Texas
msg tools
I went 0-3 and 3-0 with relatively the same build. First time was 120pt, no blind, and my initial flight scheme on round 1 was overly complicated and relied on correct setup and precise maneuvers (lol which I didn't do), and quickly learned to dense-pack them and do a group broadside.

First Build:
List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Sar (1)
Ship SP: 25

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gelnon (3)
Flagship (0)
Ship SP: 27

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Donatra (5)
Ship SP: 29

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Dukat (5)
Ship SP: 29

Total Build SP: 120

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


I went 0-3 with this one, lost to a 4-ship Klingon build (with one RIS Vo), one mainly federation, and one full Fed ship yo-yo fleet with cross-faction captains. Lost 103-106 on damage the second, and 145-155 on the last...

Second Venue was 90 point with the blind buy and also required faction pure:

List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Sar (1)
Ship SP: 25

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Evek (2)
Flagship (0)
Ship SP: 26

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Dukat (5)
Ship SP: 29

I.K.S. B'Moth (24)
K'Nera (4)
Kunivas (2)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


I drew the B'Moth (obviously), Kept them dense packed and broadsiding at range 2 until the B'Moth was going to go out of arc and instead ran it into the BCT, and didn't have to worry about his arc again. By that point I was typically far enough ahead that the loss of one wasn't going to impact me greatly. Scored 92-129-96 in damage in the three rounds, and went 3-0. For actions I usually target locked, Gul Dukat's free BS, and if I didn't spend the target lock with one of the others, they would BS as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NukeWasted wrote:
I went 0-3 and 3-0 with relatively the same build. First time was 120pt, no blind, and my initial flight scheme on round 1 was overly complicated and relied on correct setup and precise maneuvers (lol which I didn't do), and quickly learned to dense-pack them and do a group broadside.

First Build:
List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Sar (1)
Ship SP: 25

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gelnon (3)
Flagship (0)
Ship SP: 27

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Donatra (5)
Ship SP: 29

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Dukat (5)
Ship SP: 29

Total Build SP: 120

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


I went 0-3 with this one, lost to a 4-ship Klingon build (with one RIS Vo), one mainly federation, and one full Fed ship yo-yo fleet with cross-faction captains. Lost 103-106 on damage the second, and 145-155 on the last...

Second Venue was 90 point with the blind buy and also required faction pure:

List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Sar (1)
Ship SP: 25

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Evek (2)
Flagship (0)
Ship SP: 26

Cardassian Keldon Class (24)
Gul Dukat (5)
Ship SP: 29

I.K.S. B'Moth (24)
K'Nera (4)
Kunivas (2)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 120

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


I drew the B'Moth (obviously), Kept them dense packed and broadsiding at range 2 until the B'Moth was going to go out of arc and instead ran it into the BCT, and didn't have to worry about his arc again. By that point I was typically far enough ahead that the loss of one wasn't going to impact me greatly. Scored 92-129-96 in damage in the three rounds, and went 3-0. For actions I usually target locked, Gul Dukat's free BS, and if I didn't spend the target lock with one of the others, they would BS as well.


When you ran into the BCT did they assess damage to you? They did to me, I wondered if the rule was right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I recognize this might be a problem with ME, not the game, but I don't like mixed messages in my games. If I'm playing a cooperative game, I expect my opponent to play in that spirit. I was lucky that my own OP was exactly that. I didn't see any messing with opponents going on, just dogged dedication to outdo your opponent's damage on the BCT.

When it's not a cooperative game, by all means pound me into the table if you can. But people who make alliances with me in games had better come through because if they don't I'll never believe them or ally with them again. I don't play Diplomacy by the way, or any game where double dealing is the normal tactic for playing.

I'm not going to get my wish, but if I did, I'd make the cooperative game rules such that any attempt to mess with your opponent's ships in any way would be prohibited.

Which is why I said in another post that I may not play OP3. I just don't think the average "competitive" player will be able to resist using that 12 dice attack against their opponent from the BCT regardless of the consequences.


I see where you are coming from on here, one of my opponents assimilated my Shelby on my Yaeger, didn't really affect anything in the long run the ship lasted well into the later round, but it was annoying to say the least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you ran into the BCT did they assess damage to you? They did to me, I wondered if the rule was right.


You do not take damage for running into the BCT. It is just like bumping a ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Quote:
When you ran into the BCT did they assess damage to you? They did to me, I wondered if the rule was right.


You do not take damage for running into the BCT. It is just like bumping a ship.


It mattered in OP1 and now OP3, but I did not see the rule for it in OP2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.