GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Council of Verona» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 1st time with the Ccuncil of Veronna rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
[ImageID=medium1727393]

We went to a friends house the other night to play some games around 7:30 PM. That was sort of late to our standards (yes we are not in our 20's anymore).

And we were not even able to get to gaming right away because their 2 daughters would not go to bed even with the white noise makers that were tactically positioned between the 2 bedrooms and the kitchen area where we we waiting.

And since the girls are cuties there was no push to tuck them in and tie them down. Of course, I mean coerce them to stay in their rooms meeple

But finally they did relent to sleep and after some brief chatting we were off and gaming. Yeah.

We played a few games of Wits and Wagers which I thought was fine. Everyone seemed to understand it and the game quality was good.

Later, after we finished playing that, I was hoping to get an actual Euro game in. It would have been a shame to me to come all that way and go through the night without having something truly unique hit the table!

Still, now we were tired and it was near the end of the night. Our neurons could simply not tolerate something even moderately complex. Maybe I could have, but others no way.

To be honest, it was not clear to me whether I would even get the folks there to play one more game and one person was already on me about the unfounded complexity of the rules without even looking at them - lol.

When I took it out of the box I could see that the game components were appealing and some immediately started looking at the cards. And specifically looking for Romeo and Juliet! This was going to work out I thought.

Let's get one thing straight right now - this game is S I M P L E and wonderfully so. It is also very elegant.

So I explained:

1. It does not matter how many cards are in the Exile or the Council sides at the end of the game, but ONLY if the card is activated.
2. When a card is activated at the end of game then you total up the number of player points on the card
3. This game plays very fast
4. This game is pretty much self-explanatory due to the text on the cards alone

So we each played our 3 cards, decided where to put our point markers and if to use our abilities. I loved it!

* When I first unwrapped this game I struggled whether I should sleeve the cards or not. And now since I can see us playing this game a lot in the future when there is not much time left in an evening and people's brains are tired I am definitely all for sleeving these cards.

After all - the cards are lovely.

Summary - I am very glad that I bought this game and will be teaching it to many others. It is pure Euro loveliness !!!

IMO this is a game that every gamer needs to have in their collection and since the price point is so low - you owe it to your self!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it's just a set of tokens and some rules, I highly recommend the poison expansion - it's in the geekstore. Totally worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for checking it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Woof! Woof!
mbmbmbmbmb
The poison expansion makes the game 100% better. Two thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.