GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Mundus Novus» Forums » General

Subject: +3 card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious if anyone else feels the card that gives you +3 to being the trademaster is just a tad too powerful. In our games the person who has that seems to easily control the trade master almost the whole game... when someone wins that card you can just feel the air come out of everyone else around the table.. the game feels already lost.

I may just remove it from the game, or sticker it to be +1 or something. Even that would be a valuable card. +3 is just a bit crazy, imo.

Just my 2 cents... or, if I had that card, I guess a nickel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a fairly good card, but so is the guy that allows you ignore all events- I suppose I feel that the overpowered nature is somewhat situational.

I think that the conquistador cards are the most unequal / unbalanced of the development cards, so you should feel free to customize your game by removing/altering certain ones or replacing them with more ships or merchants.

Cheers,

-Jordan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed... the conquistador cards in general do seem to be the most 'situationally overpowered'... but I forgive most of them because the situations in which they are overpowered vary greatly... except for that dreaded +3 to being the Trademaster card.

I've seen the guy that lets you ignore all events sit in queue the whole game, unbought (right next to the guy that lets you form sets and straights in the market for coins) because there were either no events or only events people didn't care about visible in the queue . But the +3 card is always very, very good to have. If you can make yourself the trademaster 80% of the time (and make your opponents lay down all their best cards just for the chance to possibly take it away from you) you are going to have a very easy game.

Not that I'm complaining... I love it when that happens. I just hate it when it happens to someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Karvounis
Greece
Moschato
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it's an overpowered card. Many times a player wants to trade the common, low cards like 1,2,3 and it's easy to lose the Trade Master token even with +3. I have played the game about 4 times but it usually gave a relativelly small bonus to the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.