GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » General

Subject: How much luck is in this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
My group loves co-op games, so I was thinking of buying Ghost Stories, but I hear that it is brutally difficoult.

Personally I don'd mind that it's hard, but I prefer losing because we played poorly and not because a random card comes out that says "a character dies".

Eldritch Horror does this often, when it randomly kills characters or inflicts random damage without a good reason.

This would be especially a problem because some players in my group can get quite angry and frustrated when this happens.

Is this the case with Ghost Stories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well (imo of course) there's luck, because you draw ghosts at random. And dice rolling for exorcisms.

But even when I lose, I always feel that I could have done something different to turn it around.

Sometimes it looks like an impossible situation, but you can use a location in a way you hadn't thought of, and you get thru it.

It's hard, but it's also relentless. One of two slips, the board gets full, and then it's hard to recover.

It's also my favourite co-op...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Eldritch Horror does this often, when it randomly kills characters or inflicts random damage without a good reason.

I own both and can't remember Ghost Stories doing something like that, whereas EH definitely

It's a major difference between the 2. Ghost Stories is relentless, but in small doses each time. EH goes for the shotgun approach.

I've given up on 2 games of EH now, but none of GS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how much you rely on randomness. You have to plan for the worst-case scenario - 2 tiles are haunted? Assume the next ghost will haunt the 3rd tile. Don't have tao tokens to kill a ghost? Don't assume the dice alone will kill it.

The chances of rolling the color you want is 1/3 for each dice. Since you roll 3 dice, you can never rely on more than 1 die rolling in your favor on your turn. That's part of the fun, when you unexpectedly roll triple colors and you still have tokens to help kill the next ghost. The strategy is using village tiles, sharing tokens and working with fellow ninjas - utilizing all parts of the game that don't rely on luck.

I would say a lot of the excitement is when you choose to boldly take a chance on luck at a critical moment - WUFENG is out. We are down to 1 health. 3 ghosts till the end of the game. AHHH, Can you roll 2 colors to end the game (maybe 3 for the green ninja)? Everyone will be exhausted and beat down, but somehow, you are standing, praying, everyone is yelling! Wahoo, how will this epic turn play out? At that moment, you won't care that there's luck knowing that you worked together and did your best. For better or worse, I've had a lot of great memories with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm. I think GS has quite a lot of luck. The ghost deck can be shuffled in a way that makes it almost impossible to win. More often than not you are dependent on the dice because you run out of (sensible) other options. When you have to throw the curse die, there is a chance that nothing happens... but there is also a chance that you lose all your tokens at once, which is sometimes very painful. Moving the ghost to the green taoist? Killing the ghost before you have to throw the curse die? Viable options, but sometimes there is just no chance to do that. In GS there are a lot of situations where you can't get around the luck aspect. You have to be okay with that, but if it was different, the game could come into a solvable state and this is even less desirable.

As for EH: In what situation does the game give out random damage? Afaik you always have some sort of test roll or some turns in advance in order to avoid certain things. Never have I ever drawn a card that just dealt damage.
I remember cards however in Mansions of Madness where you open a door and the "door"-card said that your investigator just felt into another dimension and is devoured ^_^

achasteen wrote:
ninjas

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn B
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While there is randomness in Ghost Stories, I haven't heard anyone complain about it.

Ghosts appear based on random card flips, but this doesn't feel as random to me as card flips in, say, Pandemic. Possibly this is because you have to work through pretty much all the ghosts in the pile anyway. And nothing else comes out of the pile: its just ghosts all the way down.

The most swingy thing that happens in the game is when a random card flip or curse die roll causes a village tile to be haunted. When 2 village tiles get haunted, you are exposed to loosing the game based on a random card flip or die roll. But unless you were already getting overwhelmed, someone should have - and probably could have - un-haunted a village tile if they had wanted.

When you try to exorcise a ghost there is a die roll and this is random, but you can mitigate the randomness by collecting tao tokens. I would never count on an exorcism where I need 2 or more die roll results. In any case, failure doesn't actually hurt the player: it just means the exorcism failed.

Ghost Stories is one of my favorite co-operative games. When I've introduced it to others, it has gotten a mixed reception, but no one has ever complained to me about the randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game well over 100 times. It looks like there is a lot of luck, but it's deceptive. To me, the whole game is about mitigating luck: setting things up so you don't need a lucky break at all. Players have a lot of agency in doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
It looks like there is a lot of luck, but it's deceptive. To me, the whole game is about mitigating luck: setting things up so you don't need a lucky break at all. Players have a lot of agency in doing that.

This nails it. Luck is involved, but it isn't quite that important as teamwork and planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers! It looks like this game might be a good fit for my group!

Anduin wrote:
As for EH: In what situation does the game give out random damage? Afaik you always have some sort of test roll or some turns in advance in order to avoid certain things. Never have I ever drawn a card that just dealt damage.
I remember cards however in Mansions of Madness where you open a door and the "door"-card said that your investigator just felt into another dimension and is devoured ^_^

achasteen wrote:
ninjas

shake

There are certain Mythos Cards that deal 3 damage/sanity to all characters, and there's one card that has the leading investigator choosing another character, and that character is devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: How much luck is in this game?
Answer: 50%....in my experience only bad luck is associated with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.