GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,502 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Impulse» Forums » General

Subject: You're winning Impulse... how? [vote] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 7 plays, I'm far from picking up all the nuances of Impulse. But I have noticed that there have been some themes to my wins. Are you seeing the same thing?

Poll
What are the most common ways that you've won your games?
REFINE : Minerals into points commonly wins it for me
MEGA-FLEET: Rampaging around the board with a big fleet, crushing everything, scoring big battle points
TRANSPORT SWATTING: I swept through my opponents puny transports for the bulk of my VPs
ELIMINATION: I just took 'em out of the game for the win
SECTOR CORE: Controlling more gates, and winning the battle against the clock
TRADES: Trading is often the key to victory for me
SABOTAGE: I spammed a sabotage card and cranked out my victory
      41 answers
Poll created by Phuntom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard to cite a single factor in my games. I've won all the games I've played, and honestly, I very nearly got wiped out every time.

But we were also playing combat wrong, so I guess I just shouldn't vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...I guess I just shouldn't vote."

Unfortunately this goes for me as well. I simply don't have the plays in yet to place an informed vote.

I will follow with great interest the results of this poll tho. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:

This poll is very unscientific of course, but I wonder if TRADE isn't the action that pushes people over the tipping point? Points from trading seem so... incidental.

One game, my opponents did early trades. I thought it was a mistake to spoil so quickly cards. But it made a pressure on me of about 8 Pv late. So i had to take risk espcially in battle , and i finally lost. It can be very risky, because trade need to get off cards, and card advantage is very important for me in this game. But it can make a quick win.

From now, most of my game was won by scoring core (patrol 2 or 3 gates). But, according knowledge of the game, it change (we are doing more battle now )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had 1 game so far, but in it I managed to Research a card that let me Trade 1vp size 3 card. Eventually, I had it boosted by +1. In one turn I used my tech to Trade two size 3 cards and then Explored to put an "Execute one of your techs" card on the map which then let me Trade another 5 points. So that was 11 points in one turn.

I guess that was helped by the previous turn which had me draw 5 cards.

I get the feeling that one's choice of strategy needs to be very responsive to which cards end up in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
I get the feeling that one's choice of strategy needs to be very responsive to which cards end up in play.

That might end up being the beauty of this design, the fact that the various strategies are balanced against each other perfectly, based on the card sequence and your opponents response.

No doubt there will be a growth curve of strategies that become obvious as plays unfold...

In my only 4p game, my rh-opponent is a naturally attacking player, and always goes after me to boot. The cards were there for him at the beginning, but he failed to adjust when command an build cards failed to continue to flow. That allowed me to stay alive, eventually recover and win with a 10-point refine.

Great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Meyer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:
Don't want to bias the voting by pointing this out... but after 10 votes I am shocked, SHOCKED, that so many have said TRADE (5).

This poll is very unscientific of course, but I wonder if TRADE isn't the action that pushes people over the tipping point? Points from trading seem so... incidental.

I have had at least two games where trading played a big role in my points and one where it was a big part of an opponent's score.

As stated above, it comes down to what cards you have (especially starting cards). Boosted cards, like Trade 2 size [1] cards from the deck, can be decent regular point scorers. In a two player game a Trade [1] (color) card from your hand can be good on the impulse if you have 5 or 6 points worth of that color in your hand, since you will get to activate it twice.

Of course, trading like that is only good if you have lots of big cards in your hand that you can trade and those cards don't combine very well to make more efficient scoring combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've played 7 games so far with 2-5 players.

Though some early games had a lot of wins via combat, most wins have come from controlling sector core gates and trading. The game I played last night had me put a Trade Size 3 card in my home sector, and Build 2 Ships card in my techs. That combo let me use that card repeatedly to score easy points. A few additional sabotages and sector core points and I won in short order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Taylor
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:
Don't want to bias the voting by pointing this out... but after 10 votes I am shocked, SHOCKED, that so many have said TRADE (5).

Also surprising is that no one has voting for Transport killing (yet), as many comments I've read about with people saying this is a great strategy. I'm usually very careful to watch for this, but it's seemed like a difficult thing to do in my games, and there have been easier ways to win with less risk.

This is going to be quite interesting to read about!

Side note... I sure hope someone creates an "isotropic" version of Impulse.

I played tonight with four players, and trade not only won the game, but we all knew it would based on what was in the impulse. However, the two leading players, including myself, got to the seventeen point mark mostly based on other activities. I actually made a killing on transport hunting and battles. Trade points are so easy to get and are difficult to prevent, which was vital to sneaking in a win.

Edit: I did not win, but would have if I had a 3 strength Red, or 2 and 1 strength cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I netted 9 points on refining 3 size 3 cards. Plus the 8 I already had from previous turns, mostly from the Core. Plus another two from the Core this turn. That put me at 19. My opponent destroyed one of my Core cruisers, but couldn't take out the other one so I won next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
Tonight I netted 9 points on researching 3 size 3 cards. Plus the 8 I already had from previous turns, mostly from the Core. Plus another two from the Core this turn. That put me at 19. My opponent destroyed one of my Core cruisers, but couldn't take out the other one so I won next turn.

Ahhhhh... sweet victory!

It would be interesting to track VP's over a series of games and see where the come from. Perhaps if there is a Impulse tournament held somewhere, a tracking sheet could be introduced for such a thing.

I would get a kick out seeing the data.

It does seem that Trading feels very easy compared to other forms of VP's, although I remind myself that there ARE only as limited # of trade cards in the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
Tonight I netted 9 points on researching 3 size 3 cards.

Research doesn't give any VP anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
kc2dpt wrote:
Tonight I netted 9 points on researching 3 size 3 cards.

Research doesn't give any VP anymore.

I meant "refining". Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect, given players who know what they're doing, that most points will come from things you can't prevent: Trading and Refining. A skilled player isn't going to let me take over the Core or destroy all their ships. But that doesn't mean the game is imbalanced. If you come to the table thinking "I just need to focus on Trading" then I'm going to attack your ships and hold the Core.

One way to make it harder for your opponent to sneak a Trade into play is to explore fast and control what cards are on the map. Also, using cruisers to block map cards like Plan and Research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.