GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Should I play with 4 or 5 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.. I wanted to know if anyone has played the game with 4 and or 5 players.. I was wonder what would be the best to play with? My gaming group consists of 4 players but I have the option to add a 5th player . this thurday. But if it plays best with 4 I won't.. I appreciate your thoughts.. And recommendations..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's harder with more players since the group has to provide for them. Additionally, you have more players that will withhold resources or play sub optimally to secure their agendas.

However, that being said, I think 4 is best because of downtime.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the other reason I wanted to do 4...i don't want a lot of down time.. Plus I plan to play a short game scenario.. Just
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 4 is the best number for this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 4 and with 5 and I think it works well with both.

I don't think 5 is harder in general. More survivors means more zombies and more need for food, but you also have more dice to deal with it so it kind of balances out.

One area where this may be untrue is in longer scenarios like Eight Weeks of Winter. With too many survivors, you will be drawing and using cards so often that the locations will start to run out. In our five player Eight Weeks game, we literally could not pass the last crisis because no more medicine was available even in the location decks. We also had to starve for two rounds because there wasn't enough food in the game to feed everyone for eight turns and pass the major crises.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
Hi.. I wanted to know if anyone has played the game with 4 and or 5 players.. I was wonder what would be the best to play with? My gaming group consists of 4 players but I have the option to add a 5th player . this thurday. But if it plays best with 4 I won't.. I appreciate your thoughts.. And recommendations..


I think five is too many for this game. It makes it loooonger. Unless your group is good with the game being an "event" three or four is optimal from my observation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kacz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with 5 last night. A first game for all of us. After rules it took probably 2 hours to play a "short" scenario. That felt long but none of us felt like there was much down time. We were all engaged with everyone's turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After two plays at 5p, I'm willing to bet this game is Best with 4.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Dube
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
We had our first play of 5 yesterday. we played one of the "short" missions and the game went almost 5 hours. Granted, some players take a long time to make up their mind but every move, action and decision was talked to death regarding the pros/cons.

I'd highly recommend 4 over 5
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErroneousPlanet wrote:
We had our first play of 5 yesterday. we played one of the "short" missions and the game went almost 5 hours.


Wow! That's crazy!
We just played a 5-player game of a "long" scenario (Eight Weeks of Winter) and it took us probably 2.5 hours including rules explanation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Würfel Reviews
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErroneousPlanet wrote:
We had our first play of 5 yesterday. we played one of the "short" missions and the game went almost 5 hours. Granted, some players take a long time to make up their mind but every move, action and decision was talked to death regarding the pros/cons.

I'd highly recommend 4 over 5


Lol, your group really plays it wrong But I understand you... I had 8-9h sessions with Civilization and Runewars But sometimes I like long gameplay cause then it feels like I'm entirely in the game and can feel the theme and else..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This Is really some great info.. Thanks so much I think I will be doing a 4 player game.. I want to have time to teach them how to play Kings forge also..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played with a full game of 5 players. None of the games went longer than 2 hours. Even when everyone but me was new. That does not include per game rule explanation, which was an additional 10 minutes at most...maybe 15.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
After two plays at 5p, I'm willing to bet this game is Best with 4.


Two plays?! That means you played it again!!! *Swoon*
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
After two plays at 5p, I'm willing to bet this game is Best with 4.


Two plays?! That means you played it again!!! *Swoon*


This is the best news since we learned that 'Mikey likes it'!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
After two plays at 5p, I'm willing to bet this game is Best with 4.


Two plays?! That means you played it again!!! *Swoon*


This is the best news since we learned that 'Mikey likes it'!
Haha. I kept asking people to play with me a third time but it never happened, sadly.

I did play Tragedy Looper four times though. Man, that game is so amazing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
danlicata wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
After two plays at 5p, I'm willing to bet this game is Best with 4.


Two plays?! That means you played it again!!! *Swoon*


This is the best news since we learned that 'Mikey likes it'!
Haha. I kept asking people to play with me a third time but it never happened, sadly.

I did play Tragedy Looper four times though. Man, that game is so amazing.


I only got one play of TL in, but looking forward to more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
danlicata wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
After two plays at 5p, I'm willing to bet this game is Best with 4.


Two plays?! That means you played it again!!! *Swoon*


This is the best news since we learned that 'Mikey likes it'!
Haha. I kept asking people to play with me a third time but it never happened, sadly.

I did play Tragedy Looper four times though. Man, that game is so amazing.


I only got one play of TL in, but looking forward to more.
If you're ever at a con that you aren't slaving away demoing your game (I can't even imagine what your voice was like by Sunday!) we should get in more games of DoW and TL!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Absolutely!


Maybe one year I'll get to go. Sadly no con's for me this year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a comment to the OP's question: more players means the likelihood of a Crossroads card triggering that pertains to a particular character is decreased. We were a bit disappointed about that aspect when we played with 4, although in general I agree with some other folks here that 4 players will probably strike the optimal balance of player interaction and Bad Stuff Happening.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
To add a comment to the OP's question: more players means the likelihood of a Crossroads card triggering that pertains to a particular character is decreased.


That's not really true, is it?
If the scenario is X rounds, then I will take X turns no matter how many people are playing. That is X chances to draw the crossroads card for one of my characters.
In fact, there is an even greater chance of a character crosswords triggering if it doesn't require the active player to control the character, because there are more crossroads cards drawn, and more overall characters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Rykaar wrote:
To add a comment to the OP's question: more players means the likelihood of a Crossroads card triggering that pertains to a particular character is decreased.


That's not really true, is it?
If the scenario is X rounds, then I will take X turns no matter how many people are playing. That is X chances to draw the crossroads card for one of my characters.
In fact, there is an even greater chance of a character crosswords triggering if it doesn't require the active player to control the character, because there are more crossroads cards drawn, and more overall characters.


I mentioned in a post a few seconds ago that I haven't read any of the Crossroads cards that I haven't drawn or heard read aloud, so I can only comment anecdotally, but every single one of the character-specific ones I drew, and as far as I know every one my opponents drew, required the active player to be controlling the character, so yes, fewer players increases the chance that if that character is in play at all, that the active player controls him or her.

I guess I'll ask: what ratio of the character-specific cards only require the character to be in play and controlled by anyone? I'm not going to personally read them to find out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
yes, fewer players increases the chance that if that character is in play at all, that the active player controls him or her.


There is a higher chance that the card will be playable if it is drawn, but a lower chance that it will be drawn at all (since you will draw fewer cards during the game with fewer players).

Overall, the chance of a particular "player controls X" crossroads is equally likely to occur regardless of player count, and that chance will be exactly equal to the number of rounds you have the survivor, divided by the number of crossroads in the deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Rykaar wrote:
yes, fewer players increases the chance that if that character is in play at all, that the active player controls him or her.


There is a higher chance that the card will be playable if it is drawn, but a lower chance that it will be drawn at all (since you will draw fewer cards during the game with fewer players).


If I draw a card for a character that is in play, it feels a little disappointing when the card isn't activated. I'm not questioning the overall chances of the card being drawn, I'm saying when you have it in hand, and you look on the board and see that character is meeting the condition, the "but Joe's not playing him" is a letdown. JonnyRotten already swayed me with the overall observation that we don't want Xroad cards coming up too often or they'll get tiresome, but when the trigger is soooo close to being pulled...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.