GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Nightfall» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 Starter Set (ML & CW) + DR Expansion, No-draft Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for an easy way to get inexperienced players into the game for a local boardgaming night. I own Martial Law, Coldest War and the Dark Rages expansion. I Own a few of promos too, but will not include them for play. I've noted in the rules that there's a list of draft cards for bypassing the draft, but ideally I'd like to include all 3 of my sets, as players I've had in sessions really liked specific minions and actions from the different sets.

A few times after games, I've pointed out the cards that are identified in the rules for no-draft games, but it's always been met with "but that missing this card and that card." I wish there was more hours at the event so I could get new players through a proper draft, but it's held in a venue that doesn't keep late hours. As well, its rare the same players show up on any given event night.

I'm wondering if anyone here could suggest an ideal draft hand that combines ML, CW and DR? I'm also wondering about the 2 starting decks. I've had mixed results with drafting 2 cards of the same color from both of the ML and CW decks. Some of the new players really like it, but other have felt overwhelmed by it and it's consequently dragged on a bit. So I'm wondering if someone could suggest a good combination of ML and CW starting cards? I probably should mention that I wouldn't be using the CW moon phase cards in these game. I'd love to find a way to work the DR avatars in, but I know that's wishful thinking and will reluctantly forgo them.

Anyhow, if any of the more experienced players here could suggest some combinations, it'd be very much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
For teaching the game, stick with base game or Martial Law as they have fewer keyworded effects to explain and keep track of. You can also easily make your own quick draft sets by doing the following:

- Select some minions that are average in power, preferably that cost 2 or 3 influence to purchase
- For each minion, select an action that either kicks the minion or is kicked by the minion
- Explain each pair to the players in very general terms, e.g., this set is anti-minion, this set is anti-player, etc.
- Let each player select their draft pair, taking your pick last

This is how I setup each time I demo and tends to go very well. You can mix in other sets as you see fit, just be careful with introducing too many keywords at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.