GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Gencon 2014 review of BlueSun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
So after 2 days at Gencon 2014 helping new and veteran Firefly players with Blue Sun table at the GF9 tables, I must say this is a definite must have for the firefly gamers out there. Look for it very soon if you were not able to get a copy from the con.

The SETUP: There are more cards - 4 new decks to add to the game: Mr Universe, Harrow, the Rim Nav deck and Meridan. There are also 2 more reavers to add in reaver space and tokens for the NPC ships. 2 more captains: Murphy excels at trading goods while Atherton’s keywords make Misbehaving early in the game more likely to succeed. The setup cards are nice addition; they help get the game on the table faster.

GAME PLAY - I will assume if you are reading this you know the basics of the game, so I will focus on Blue Sun game play. This is now very challenging game. The reavers can essentially shut down a corner of the verse if played right. During one game, I moved the 3 reavers all around regina when 2 other players were on planet - made them take more turns to get out. The pilot/mechanic combo is almost essential for travel, especially in Rimspace travel. I love the tokens to the map when a reaver/cruiser gets moved it seems like a minefield when you have to travel thru them. Each token forces you to roll a d6; if you don't beat the # of tokens, you got company, so more NPC interaction happens.

JOBS: Mr Universe is awesome; he makes the jobs more challenging and wants you to find that perfect X job/Mr. U job combo using the discard piles. When you are solid with him, you can deal with him anywhere on the map and he adds 2 cards to your hand size, so its a nice touch. Harrow is now excellent to pair up with Ammon Duul; shipping kings on each side of the map make a Monty/pilot ship very competitive. He sells cargo when Solid, so that will make a big change in the game- you can buy low and sell high somewhere else without jobs, and pirates can have fatter targets to try and board if you play with pirates.

Top shelf components as usual - solid cardboard and cards like the original game. What is nice is you do NOT need the Pirates to play this expansion, so if you don't have it but want this, then you can play standard game w/ Blue Sun. Our demo games did this and it was still challenging. I assume adding the pirates expansion will make this into one Damm Big game.

Box size is smaller than the original width wise, but the same 12x12 square (?), so it will fit nicely on the shelf. I will take some pics when I get home and let you look in the box.. maybe make an unboxing video..

Overall, I rate this expansion a 9.5/10, only because it did not come with a box to hold ALL of the games combine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H

Colorado
msg tools
Just coming from GenCon myself. While I wasn't able to play the game itself there, I did bring home a copy of the Blue Sun Expansion, and have unboxed it and played a solo game.
Based on this experience, I second everything said by Joe. It is great expansion to the existing game. Love the new contacts, and the new board most of all. Shipping and smuggling have become viable again thanks to the new contact Harrow.

From a solitaire perspective:
The BGG community will have to come up with some new story cards to challenge solo players. We will also have to figure out how exactly to move Reavers around the map. Instead of moving just one Reaver now, we're moving 3 different ones, and there are new Reaver movement cards that will further confuse the issue.

Anyways, great expansion. Looking forward to playing with this another few dozen times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reviews, guys!

As someone who plays solo more often than not, I'm hoping we can get some ideas rolling on some of the issues you bring up, Ryan.

A lot of the other elements have appeared in one of the other threads -- but are either of you willing/able to give a little more detail on the jobs? How do they break down? (Legal vs Illegal) Does Harrow have ONLY Shipping and Smuggling? Are the three examples of jobs we've seen in the rules a good sampling of what to expect from Mister Universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on the road to Phl right now. Tomorrow I will post a video and some pics. Then do a breakdown of the new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H

Colorado
msg tools
Concerning Mr Universe, he doesn't issue jobs, per se, rather than job enhancements. The cards that he has attach to existing jobs which increase risk and reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are each of Universe's cards unique, or do we have, for example, 5 different copies of "Hands Tied"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Many thanks to Joe and Ryan for their post GenCon thoughts. Hearing experienced players discuss "Blue Sun game play" is just what we wanted, to compliment the lists of components and the rules! Like PBH, it is a change in the game which allows for new styles of play, with hopefully alternative ways to play and win.

If each new expansion is as exciting as PBH and BSRS, we've got a lot to look forward to for The Board Verse in the future. Maybe those who were understandably sceptical about there being eight expansions as announced are starting to come around. Kudos to the GF9 designers for this ambitious use of the license, and for fueling today's Firefly revival!

Nathan Fillion had a cameo in the recent Guardians of the Galaxy film, and is still going strong in Castle. In my own version, Mal becomes the beloved Davy Crockett of Border space, owner of a space transport company, and with his savvy ex-courtesan wife to make political allies, a senator in the Alliance advocating for Border space rights.

I'm hoping Joss Whedon is paying attention to all this Browncoat activity across several types of games,comics, etc., and that one day some members of the original cast will appear as older characters salted among a younger cast in a new show. After all--you can't stop the signal.

The fact that Mr. W wouldn't allow an animation and is letting the license walk around as never before gives me some hope that he's got a Secret Firefly Plan, and will emerge with more influence in the entertainment industry maze to get it done, thanks to his excellent execution of his Marvel films. We're with you all the way, buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petromir Brookendil
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

The fact that Mr. W wouldn't allow an animation and is letting the license walk around as never before gives me some hope that he's got a Secret Firefly Plan, and will emerge with more influence in the entertainment industry maze to get it done, thanks to his excellent execution of his Marvel films. We're with you all the way, buddy!

Somewhere (I think when he was on a panel) Joss fielded a question about his reaction to Veronica Mars and similar crowd-funding successes.

Basically he said he said when he saw their results he knew he'd never stop hearing such a questioned being asked.

On a firefly/serenity kickstarter or similar he said, if everyones free when he's out of Marvels current run, and he's got Dr Horrible 2 done, its possible (but Nathan is particularly hard to get hold of at the moment (moment being based around the situation as it was then) that he might do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the other hand, Fillion has always said that if Firefly continued, he'd be there - no matter what - so it's really Joss's time. I mean, it's not like most of the rest of the cast is too busy, and if Joss had REALLY wanted to do something, he's had a few opportunities.

[q="chas59"The fact that Mr. W wouldn't allow an animation and is letting the license walk around as never before gives me some hope that he's got a Secret Firefly Plan, and will emerge with more influence in the entertainment industry maze to get it done, thanks to his excellent execution of his Marvel films. We're with you all the way, buddy![/q]

I hope you're right. Joss's treatment of Firefly over the past few years has made me believe that he knows he's never going back. Firefly, I think, more than any other project, has been his true love, and the fact that he's handed her over to others tells me that he knows he's never going to tell those stories.

It started small, when we got the official confirmation that Zoe was pregnant in FLOAT OUT. But Patton Oswalt said that when he and Joss spoke about it, Joss wanted to make sure there was a gift to the fans in the comic. And I could justify it as "Well, surely when Joss comes back, we'll be well past Zoe being pregnant..."

Then there was SHEPHERD'S TALE, where Joss took one of the most anticipated moments of FIREFLY and handed it off to someone else. To me, this is almost comparable to George Lucas's ban on letting anyone show how Han and Chewbacca met, which he DID eventually reverse... after three decades or so. Again, I justified it as "Joss has a plan, and that plan will be moving forward. So there won't be room for Book's backstory..."

But the nail in the coffin was LEAVES ON THE WIND, the first major post-movie continuity. Note that until LotW, there has been little or no forward motion, but now all bets are off. Firefly has a future again, albeit a shadow of what it could have been, but it's in hands that aren't Joss's.

And that makes me sad.

Still, between the comic, the fantastic boardgame, the RPG, and the upcoming MMO, we're in the midst of a Firefly renaissance like we've never seen before. And who knows... maybe the success of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY will spark a return the way Star Wars helped Star Trek come back.

Enough of that, though. I really want to know about Harrow and Universe cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Well at least those hands were his brother's? It's still in the family although I wish a series of animated movies or a show could get started. The actors could certainly find the time to do voice overs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DeadmeatDad wrote:
Well at least those hands were his brother's? It's still in the family although I wish a series of animated movies or a show could get started. The actors could certainly find the time to do voice overs!

Ugh.

That's almost like saying "We have this leading man role and we really wanted Dennis Quaid but he's too busy. How about Randy?"

Well, okay, that makes more sense if it's the 1980s. But you get the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
DeadmeatDad wrote:

Ugh.

That's almost like saying "We have this leading man role and we really wanted Dennis Quaid but he's too busy. How about Randy?"

Well, okay, that makes more sense if it's the 1980s. But you get the picture.

It's Jed Whedon working from story ideas cooked up by/with Joss Whedon. He's overseeing the comic versions of Buffy, Angel and Firefly just as he did the three TV series simultaneously. You are aware that Joss didn't actually write every word of all the Firefly episode scripts, either, yes? In fact my two favourite episodes (Bushwhacked and Out of Gas) were written by Tim Minear, who also directed one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's Jed Whedon working from story ideas cooked up by/with Joss Whedon. He's overseeing the comic versions of Buffy, Angel and Firefly just as he did the three TV series simultaneously. You are aware that Joss didn't actually write every word of all the Firefly episode scripts, either, yes? In fact my two favourite episodes (Bushwhacked and Out of Gas) were written by Tim Minear, who also directed one of them.[/q]

I'm well aware of how television works. For the record, it's actually ZACH Whedon, not Jed. And, frankly, there's a world of difference in the experience between Zack and Tim. Tim Minear had a pretty extensive writing resume prior to being hired by Joss Whedon, and subsequently spent years in the Mutant Enemy writers rooms, honing his craft alongside some of the best in the business.

He was one of the go-to writers on ANGEL, and such a vital part of that show that Joss originally promised David Greenwalt (then the showrunner of ANGEL) that he wouldn't steal Tim Minear for FIREFLY. When he later went back on his word, Greenwalt almost quit.

Zach, by contrast, simply has "Whedon" as a last name.

I agree that Minear is a fantastic creative presence. Although he doesn't get the credit (yet), he's probably almost on par with Whedon, Abrams, Murphy, and a handful of others as an immersive world creator.

And then there are other folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see them releasing some cross-expansion story cards in the future (utilising the symbols to indicate which are required), but I think it makes sense to keep them demarcated for now.

Otherwise folks'd feel nickel-and-dimed if they saw their new purchase 'required' purchasing other extras.

The closest so far is having Bounties for the Breakin' Atmo Wanted Crew... which reminds me, no Bounty card for the new Crew 'The Middleman', I presume? Guess I'll field that in the 'updates' thread.

I trust fans to come up with some decent variations, even just offering slight twists on the existing ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really love how modular the game can be, and that each release adds SOMETHING rather than something that must be built on.

I have less board game experience than other folks here, but I keep comparing it mentally to when I used to play Star Wars miniatures. With that game, each new release was great fun, but because each one built on what came before, there were generally two scenarios: 1) A lot of the new pieces seemed pointless (because they were so close to existing stuff) or 2) the new set made a lot of old stuff obsolete by building up so well.

By keeping it modular and changing focus, I think Firefly reduces the risk of irrelevance or too much power creep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
raw_bean wrote:
It's Jed Whedon working from story ideas cooked up by/with Joss Whedon. He's overseeing the comic versions of Buffy, Angel and Firefly just as he did the three TV series simultaneously. You are aware that Joss didn't actually write every word of all the Firefly episode scripts, either, yes? In fact my two favourite episodes (Bushwhacked and Out of Gas) were written by Tim Minear, who also directed one of them.

I'm well aware of how television works. For the record, it's actually ZACH Whedon, not Jed. And, frankly, there's a world of difference in the experience between Zack and Tim. Tim Minear had a pretty extensive writing resume prior to being hired by Joss Whedon, and subsequently spent years in the Mutant Enemy writers rooms, honing his craft alongside some of the best in the business.

He was one of the go-to writers on ANGEL, and such a vital part of that show that Joss originally promised David Greenwalt (then the showrunner of ANGEL) that he wouldn't steal Tim Minear for FIREFLY. When he later went back on his word, Greenwalt almost quit.

Zach, by contrast, simply has "Whedon" as a last name.

I agree that Minear is a fantastic creative presence. Although he doesn't get the credit (yet), he's probably almost on par with Whedon, Abrams, Murphy, and a handful of others as an immersive world creator.

And then there are other folks.

Fair enough. Sorry if I came across as condescending, I assumed you were just making a flippant remark rather than expressing an informed opinion as I see now.

On topic though, I take it there are no Harrow Piracy jobs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coming back on point - I go tin two games with BLue Sun at GenCon, and I really really like what it brings. Mr. Universe is a neat twist, and Meridian has some good stuff.

Harrow makes shipping worth doing, and has a tonne of smuggling for Monty to play with. He's also a source of cargo, which is helpful, though he is way the hell and gone in the corner.

But the biggest boost was one of the new missions, and the Alert tokens.

Any time a Reaver ship leaves a space, it leaves behind an Alert token. When you enter a space with a token, you roll a die and if the result is equal-to or less-than the number of tokens, the Reavers land on your head. Having this made Reavers actually feel like a presence, and not just a red ship moving in circles over in the corner. I really like it, and all my friends felt the same.

One of the new scenarios is a money grab that gives you a warrant anytime you do an illegal job - and has a 1-in-6 chance of encountering the Cruiser at most of the Alliance space planets. I like it, because it gives a reason to consider staying legal and not doing crime.

Overall, I'm very pleased - it's the highlight of my con buying, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davyd A:

arrrh Thanks for the playing report, and congratulations on reaching BGG Level Three (so did I). Sounds like good news for Blue Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.