GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,485 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Battle of Five Armies- First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a long time War of the Ring fan (you can see my review of the 2nd edition here), so to say I was excited for a new game based on the Battle of Five Armies is something on an understatement. I was one of the first people in the GenCon Convention Hall on opening morning, and promptly marched over to Ares' booth to pick up my copy. I was also fortunate enough to play in a mega-sized demo put together by play tester Steve Fratt, so I've got my first play done and can comment on how it feels.

This review is going to be divided into three portions. First, I will give an overview of the components. Then I will go over the elements of the game rules, focusing on similarities and differences from War of the Ring. Finally I'll share my thoughts on the gameplay.

Components

The game comes in a great box the same size and shape as War of the Ring. There's a pretty nice insert inside that does a pretty solid job separating the components.

The board is nicely printed and shows the area in front of the Lonely Mountain. Terrain is indicated by the circles, with rings demarking which region the space belongs to.

The figures for the game reuse some sculpts from War of the Ring with some new varieties mixed in. The reused casts are both Dwarf Regulars and Elites (now representing Dwarf Regulars and Veterans), the Elvish Regulars (Elf Archers), North Regulars (Laketown Bowmen), Sauron Regulars and Elites (Orcs and Great Orcs). New sculpts are provided for Elf Spearmen, Eagles, Goblins and Great Bats. There are also all new sculpts for the characters (Gandalf, Dain, Thranduil, Bilbo, Thorin, The Lord of the Eagles, Beorn and Bolg). These are all made from plastic in the standard War of the Ring red, blue and gray colors though the colors are not an exact match to what you see in War of the Ring, and the plastic seems stiffer.

Upon further inspection, Thranduil is not pictured. Rest assured, he comes in the box and has a nice unique sculpt.

The action dice are the same as the 2nd edition war of the ring, both in material and in the face layout for the dice, with 6 for the Free Peoples and 7 for the Shadow. The game also include 10 standard 6 sided dice (5 white and 5 black) for use in combat. I was happy that these reverted to match what we saw in first edition, instead of the stange faces with the goofy oversized one pip and vertical two pips we had on the 2nd edition War of the Ring dice.

The game comes with cardboard tokens to track several things. These include tokens for use as army leaders, tokens for tracking character powers/abilities, recruitment tokens, control tokens, fate tiles, some game status markers and a ruler to measure range for Gandalf and the archers. All match the card stock size and and sizing from War of the Ring 2nd edition. There are some new triangular tokens which represent the damage counters, hero special trackers, etc.

The game cards are the smaller sized cards used in the first edition War of the Ring. There are 3 decks- a common event deck of 30 cards with generic story events and combat effects, plus a
20 card story deck for each side. Each side also receives tactics cards for each type of combat unit and oversized reference cards with information for the major characters. There are also 2 two-sided player aid charts.

My one gripe is that there isn't a draw bag included for the fate tiles. The rulebook simply tells you to get an opaque container to draw them from. You could also likely just stack them face down (as was originally done in War of the Ring First Edition), but it's more fun to pull from a bag so I'm adding one!

Mechanics

The gameplay is very close to the Battles of the Third Age scenarios. Those only familiar with War of the Ring will see several similar mechanics in the Battle of Five Armies, but several changes as well. At the heart is the same basic turn order: draw cards, make allocations for the turn, then the action dice are rolled and spent. The Shadow wins by controlling enough Free People Settlements at the game end (or can win instantly if he takes the Gate plus enough other items). The Free Peoples can win by holding off the Shadow until milestones are met on the fate track (either the entrance of Beorn or 15 on the Fate track, depending on Shadow progress) or by killing Bolg.

The first area of difference is in the card decks. Each player has 20 unique story cards, of which one will be drawn per turn. The players also draw one card from a common generic event deck each turn. There is a hard 6 card hand limit that is always in play, so card management is key for the game. When the common event deck empties it is reshuffled and ready for play- the story event decks will not reshuffle so discard cards are gone forever.

After drawing the Free Peoples have a critical decision to make. They can choose to prepare between 1-3 character special abilities, and receive a number of leaders equal to the number of characters activated to place on the board. These are extremely powerful tools which come at a cost. The Shadow player will be drawing a fate tile each turn which advances the story. The more abilities the Free Peoples activate, the more chances the Shadow is given to draw tiles (and hopefully get lower numbered tiles which slow the progress of Fate in the game). The Fate tiles are numbered one through three. The Fate track determines the flow of the game- powerful characters can enter after reaching milestones on the track, and it is the timer counting down to victory for the Free Peoples player. Some of the tiles drawn will also cause Fate events to occur, which will usually help a Free Peoples character.

The Shadow also has an opportunity to place a number of leaders and/or Great Bats on the table equal to his action dice pool each turn. The Great Bats have a solid combat effect and can help with army movement, while the leaders allow Shadow armies more options with character dice and rerolls in battle.

After these items are taken care of, each side rolls their action dice and begin using them. There are a few big differences from War of the Ring:
1. Character dice, in addition to moving all characters on the board and playing character events, can be used for "fast army movement", where an army with a character or leader moves 2 spaces.
2. Muster dice are used for a new recruitment mechanic. Recruitment tokens are placed on the board during setup and occasionally through events or abilities. Muster dice allow these tokens to be flipped and the appropriate unit is then placed on the board. A player is never certain exactly what he will receive when he musters. Muster dice can also be used to rally damaged armies, which removes damage counters and strengthens the army for future combat.
3. There is a new use for Army dice in which several armies to attack the same space which is not present in War of the Ring. The army die can also be used to move an army one space and then attack. The traditional move two armies one space each is also an option.
4. Eye dice are used to recruit Goblins in the mountains, and move/attack with these armies. There is a delaying mechanic where these goblins must clear the passes before entering play. There is (obviously) no hunting for the Ring or Fellowship moving mechanic!
5. The stacking limits for armies is now 5 (was 10 in War of the Ring), plus any additional number of leaders and/or characters. There's a special exception for Beorn, who is always by himself and functions as a one-shapeshifting-bearman killing machine.

The board features terrain which restricts movement, and depending on army composition may grant a bonus card to the superior army in combat. All unit types have preferred terrain and the army with the most units in favorable terrain during the battle receives the bonus. Fortifications are present in several locations on the board (and in varying strength), which provide great defensive bonuses and protection to the Free Peoples units inside.

Combat is similar to Battles of the Third Age, and takes some getting used to if you've only played War of the Ring. The basics of playing a card, rolling dice for each unit and rerolling your leadership are still present in order to reach a hit number (which is normally a 5 or 6, with some changes for fortifications or via cards played). But combat has some additional bells and whistles that zoom in on the tactical nature of the battles. The combat hand is made up of your combat event cards (from the generic event deck), tactics cards for each type of unit in the battle and a regroup card. Each side selects if they will play a card. Event cards are resolved normally as per War of the Ring and are then discarded. Tactics cards may be chosen instead of event cards- for each unit of the matching type in the battle a player rolls a black die instead of white during combat roll and leader reroll. If at least one of the black dice scores a hit the special ability takes effect. If the black dice do not hit the special ability does not take effect. In either case the tactics card becomes unavailable for play in later rounds. A player can regain his lost tactics cards during a battle by playing his Regroup card. In a round where a defending player plays the regroup card he can also elect to retreat with fewer penalties- retreating without the use of the regroup card is allowed but causes a rout to occur, which is pretty undesirable. After the battle the tactics cards are all reset and the appropriate ones are available in the next battle.

The damage system is very different from War of the Ring. Each time a successful hit is rolled the army receives 1 damage marker. An army can absorb as many damage markers as there are units present. Once this number is exceeded, the army must begin removing units. For each unit removed 2 damage counters are absorbed. Once the number of markers is equal to the number of units in the army it stops taking casualties. An defending army in a rout (i.e. which retreated without using the Regroup card) is required to take casualties at a rate of one unit for 2 points of damage until the army has 0 or 1 damage counters. Both sides' casualties are removed from play and do not return the game.

Great Bats and Eagles also are used in the game in a novel way. Both aid armies in regions (not specific territories). The Great Bats are provided to the Shadow during the setup of the turn, and can help change Muster Dice into Army dice or harass the Free Peoples in combat. After the Lord of the Eagles enters play, the Eagles can be placed into regions to directly attack Shadow armies.

Gameplay continues until all action dice are used. The players then check the victory conditions and begin a new turn if appropriate.

Gameplay thoughts
The big mechanical change I see from Battles of the Third Age is that the Free Peoples (not the Shadow) controls the progress of Fate. Both sides have interesting choices to make each turn, the Fellowship regarding Fate and abilities and the Shadow regarding bats and leaders.

The combat system is very good- the mechanics allow for some more tactical choices. Army composition and terrain also is a key thing to plan for- where can my archers best harass incoming enemies? Is it a mistake to move across the plains with that group of Wargs nearby? How can I break the defense for this fortification without getting destroyed in the process? Do I need to stop the advance and rally my armies so I don't lose what I've gained? And was I able to recruit units that will work well together in this army?

I was a bit worried about the lack of Shadow characters but thematically it is right for the Shadow- they have huge armies of unnamed (and fairly disposable) creatures, while the Free Peoples are far fewer in number but with powerful heroes. While the Hobbit doesn't really mention any leaders in the dark army other than Bolg, one can reasonably assume there are captains of companies and such out there who the readers never meet. And it does help the game mechanically quite a bit to have the Shadow leaders so it's ultimately a good thing!

I was a little disappointed that we got leadership tokens instead of figures. I find the leadership tokens are useful and probably more appropriate than the leader figures, particularly as both sides are constantly having to cycle leadership around the battlefield as part of turn setup. But part of me really wants the plastic guys to make the setup pop!

I also am very happy with the game length- I think that after a teaching game this should clock in at 90-120 minutes. I see several potential strategies and paths for both sides to victory, so I think there will be replayability. My game had an utterly devastating Shadow victory (I was the only player with War of the Ring experience and all the card draws and rolls went right in that game). I understand the other two games run at Steve's table had Free Peoples victories, one lopsided with all new to War of the Ring Players and a very tight one with War of the Rings veterans on both sides. Time will tell if it is balanced but initially things look pretty fair.

I overall prefer War of the Ring- it is grander in scope and is a longer and deeper experience. But this game is fun to play, has a lot of interesting options to explore (I'm really thrilled to try the Free Peoples characters as what was thrown at me as the Shadow side in our game seemed incredible) and the shorter playtime will make it easier to get to the table. This was the Hobbit counterpart I wanted for War of the Ring and I'm very happy to own it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2 hour war of the ring game color me intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to do this--I enjoyed your perspective. It sounds like 5A will be a nice alternative to the epic WOTR. You've reinforced my reasons for ordering the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this review. I can't wait to get my game. I pre-ordered from Coolstuffinc and am waiting eagerly for it to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for writing this up this fast. Looking forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up.
Although I wish you would have waited until the images were approved!
I've subscribed, please post when the images are all properly embedded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Thanks for the write-up.
Although I wish you would have waited until the images were approved!
I've subscribed, please post when the images are all properly embedded.

Images are up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all done. I somehow left Thranduil in the bag, so he got omitted from the sculpture pictures.

I've got one other item I'm verifying, and that's card sleeving. It looks like the sleeve aperture in the insert will accommodate a full set of sleeved cards if they're turned sideways. My sleeves should be in Tuesday (I think FFG American sleeves will do the trick) and I'll comment on it once I confirm.

UPDATE: FFG American Card sleeves it is. Turn your cards on the edge and they pack into the box no problem.

As far as the character reference sheets go, I measure them at 85mm x 111mm. Never seen a sleeve to fit that. As they never get shuffled I'm not terribly concerned about it, but if you want to sleeve everything I've got no clue what you'll do here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was in the Saturday night game with the other players who had played 'War of the Ring' (WOTR) and we had a fantastic time! Other players were super friendly (we actually shook hands like a little league game when it was over) and everyone was very nice.

I think this game is more straight-forward than 'War of the Ring' in terms of game play while using the theme well. The Shadow player needs to capture areas for a combined value of 10 points. The Free Peoples player needs to prevent that from happening for a certain amount of time. The unique timer mechanism creates an interesting dilemma for the Free Peoples since they can affect the time length of the game based on how many 'generals' they activate in a turn. Each turn, the Shadow player draws a tile with a 1, 2, or 3 on it. The turn marker will advance the number of spaces indicated. When the turn marker reaches 15, the Free Peoples win. The generals grant you a special ability you can use once during the turn but allow the Shadow player to redraw timer tiles based on the number of generals you activate (3 maximum). Thus if you use a lot of 'powers' the Shadow player has more of a chance to slow the game down giving them a better chance to win.

It feels fairly balanced and the new 'damage' mechanic makes combat more interesting. Unlike WOTR neither side gets reinforcements so you have to think carefully about how to use your troops. We did not get a chance to use the Eagles or Beorn in our game. There is also a new 'rally' mechanic that allows you to heal troops.

Overall, this is a very good game. I will be adding it to my collection soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
The default size on your images (e.g.,
) makes them come out a little too small to actually see. I recommend using at least
in reviews...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the changing days of BGG....Good suggestion, it is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, lots of good information.

Regarding the card size, how is the font size/readability? Does the text feel small as with the first edition of WotR? I am spoiled by the tarot sized cards in the CE and 2nd Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the font size seemed easy to read, but I have young eyes and am not the best judge. I'll pull out the two and compare when I get home tonight.

The character reference cards are oversized and definitely have larger text though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
still wish they had made different sculpts, would have been a great way to make some custom game with it all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Text size varies depending on how much is written on the card. Most are larger, but a couple that are lengthy (such as the Vampire-like tactic card for the Great Bats) are equal or smaller. Eyeballing things, I see 5 smaller font cards (both Regroup cards, the Great Bats tactic and the Great Orcs tactic and one generic event) and about 5 equal font cards (Thorin's ability plus 4 generic events).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sheahan
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Berks
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant,

Thanks for posting your review. I really like War of the Ring too (I had the original edition and then bought the collector's edition). Even though I find most games come down to, "Will Frodo go mad on the slopes of Mount Doom?" I still really like it. So, I've been excited about Battle of the Five Armies.

I have had Battles of the Third Age since it was released but only finally got to play it during the last year. I was really keen to play the smaller/shorter scale BotTA game but actually found the smaller scope meant it was very swingy and one bad/good dice roll (combat or action dice) could make a massive effect - so it felt a bit random. This happened several times in my game (the rolls that really affected things weren't even that improbable).

As you have played Battle of the Five Armies, what were your thoughts on the randomness of the game? I thought Five Armies would be an insta-buy for me, but as the design/rules look very similar to BotTA, I'm concerned it could feel quite random too.

Any advice/insight you've got would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit hard to judge on my experience because we had some bizarre rolling. I only have one play's worth of experience, and our first battle opened with a Shadow army scoring five hits without using a leader re-roll. That was strangely typical of how we rolled for the first two turns so we got into a superior position (compared with the constantly missing Free Peoples armies) and the Shadow never really looked back. Our opponents were nice guys, but had no idea on strategy of this kind of game, so they didn't build proper forces to oppose us in the right spots and were summarily destroyed. The fact they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for most of the game really did not help either, but I've seen that happen in a few War of the Ring Games.

I did run up against the usual action dice problems of the War of the Ring, but I think that some of the game abilities (particularly the Great Bats) helped mitigate the major Shadow issue of rolling musters when army dice are needed. The Eyes for goblin muster/movement is useful and actually made eye results desirable, and gave us options. The Free Peoples seemed to typically always have useful dice rolls as Characters are almost always helpful (though I think in 5 turns they received a single Will of the West). Neither side ever seemed crippled from executing plans, though as usual if you roll a large number of event dice it can mess with you quite a bit.

My general feel is that it's not going to be too lopsided based on dice. There are definitely more Shadow forces, but I think the Free Peoples more than makes up the difference in ranged striking ability and the absolutely powerful characters. Hard to say if it skews one way without having played both sides. I'm hoping to get another game in this week and then to add to my statement.

I can also add that the three playtesters I spoke with all felt that the die rolls balanced out over the course of a game and that both sides had a good shot to win. And I know that there was a hard-fought game between War of the Ring veterans the day after I played; I was popping in to take stock and nothing seemed vastly out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:

I was a little disappointed that we got leadership tokens instead of figures. I find the leadership tokens are useful and probably more appropriate than the leader figures, particularly as both sides are constantly having to cycle leadership around the battlefield as part of turn setup. But part of me really wants the plastic guys to make the setup pop!

Do you think there is space for the use of the WotR figures for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sheahan
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Berks
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it. Sounds like Five Armies may be a bit less fragile than my experience with BotTA which is good news.

Cheers,

James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafael Ramus wrote:
Do you think there is space for the use of the WotR figures for that?

I think you could do so. Be a bit strange to get Nazgul there though. That may be part of the reason- the Shadow leaders aren't named, so hard to give them a specific look. But I'm sure the North/Elvish/Dwarf leaders would fit in just fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
A 2 hour war of the ring game color me intrigued.

After experience, my games rarely take longer than 2.5 hours. I'm afraid for me, cutting it down only a tad, but sacrificing the grand scope that I love about WOTR is turning me away from the game. Plus Beorn is no squirrel.

However, I really enjoyed the review and it helped me make an informed decision! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Yes, all done. I somehow left Thranduil in the bag, so he got omitted from the sculpture pictures.

I've got one other item I'm verifying, and that's card sleeving. It looks like the sleeve aperture in the insert will accommodate a full set of sleeved cards if they're turned sideways. My sleeves should be in Tuesday (I think FFG American sleeves will do the trick) and I'll comment on it once I confirm.

Grant, thanks for the review, its really nice to get an early look at the game!

Did you ever try the FFG American sleeves? If so, how'd they work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeves arrive tomorrow. But I grabbed my 87 sleeved cards from Battles of the Third age. Same size card, same size sleeve (I think- been awhile since I bought them and not 100% sure this was exactly what I got last time) and it fits in the space with some spare space, but not enough that the cards will move around.

Punching tokens tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Punching tokens tonight!

Maybe it's the juxtaposition of your cookie monster avatar, but reading that last line makes me think there's a gamer t-shirt waiting to be printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parzival Graal-Ritter
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Punching tokens tonight!

Nudge, nudge. Grin, grin. Say no more!

Greatly appreciate your thorough unboxing and review.

I just wish I could get a copy before or at the Labor Day gaming con here in the Bay Area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.