GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,867 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [Deck] Deep Explorer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
I've been messing around with Nasir a fair bit since Upstalk hit. This is the build I've had the most success with so far. It's still not anywhere near competitive (details below), but it does pretty well in casual OCTGN play.

As you'll see, I gave up on recurring credits entirely. Honestly, in most games I don't find myself needing more credits for icebreaking -- more often than not what I really need credits for are trash costs and NAPD fees. Scrubber might help with the former if I could find the influence for it. I'm also not as convinced that Personal Workshop is as clutch for Nasir as most of us thought; dumping your credits the old-fashioned way (installing stuff) serves the same purpose in the early game. It's still in here, but in a lot of games it feels like it's slowing me down -- since I'm constantly pressuring the corp to rez ice (and then dumping credits when they do), I rarely get more than 3-5 credits from the passive "countdown" on Workshop. There are times when it keeps your options open, and on occasion it's nice to be able to dump a few credits into something during an approach if you can't afford the entire install.

Deep Explorer (45 cards)

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer

Event (11)
3 Calling in Favors •••
3 Diesel
2 Levy AR Lab Access
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (11)
2 Clone Chip
2 Deep Red ••
2 E3 Feedback Implants ••••
2 Omni-Drive
3 R&D Interface

Resource (15)
2 Aesop's Pawnshop
2 Kati Jones
3 Personal Workshop
2 Professional Contacts
3 The Helpful AI
3 Underworld Contact

Icebreaker (5)
1 Deus X
1 Inti
3 Overmind

Program (3)
3 Rook ••••• •

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Pros:
*The steady flow of cash from Underworld and ProCo means you can save Kati for a turn where you need an immediate reset after a Pop-Up to hit a remote.
*Calling in Favors is clutch in the late game. It can easily net you 5-7 credits with a single click if Kati's been emptied recently.
*Rook wreaks havoc in the early game, and in the late game it can help mitigate Nasir's glaring weakness.
*E3 is obviously there to supplement the Overmind, but it also takes the edge off Eli and Ichi, which are abundant at the moment.
*Generally at 2 link within the first couple turns. This helps a lot with Ash, which I found to be really troublesome in most of my other Nasir attempts.

Cons:
*Lack of tutors. This is my first fix in the next round of tweaks -- digging for that first Overmind, even with Diesel/ProCo, can take way too long.
*Like all untutorable combos, the Helpful AI/Underworld Contacts setup is inevitably going to be a bust in some games. It's not necessarily as terrible here -- since dumping 2 credits into even a non-functional Contacts still has the effect of enhancing any credit swing from fresh ice -- but it's slow and clunky. Might be worth changing them out for other clickless econ (Daily Casts?), but that would also mean some other changes (dropping the Calling in Favors, e.g.).
*No credible HQ threat.
*Absolutely terrible against RP. Ironically, the fact that a lot of Jinteki's ice comes with some high sticker prices means that this matchup is one of the few where dealing with a bunch of assets isn't actually that bad. But without Cache/Ghost Runner/Fall Guy shenanigans, the deck is hugely vulnerable to click compression, and losing that first click to run a central destroys any ability to run a remote - reset econ - run again, unless the stars are perfectly aligned (and what RP player is letting those stars align for you?).
*No Plascrete because most Scorch decks these days are running Midseasons. There's no way I'm beating a well-planned Midseasons trace with Nasir, and there's also no way I'm winning a game with this resource-heavy deck if I'm tagged up anyway.
--
Other thoughts:
*Hostage is definitely worth considering, but that means probably dropping the Deep Red/Rook setup to find the influence, at which point I should look to other breakers besides Overmind. Hostage would free up quite a few card slots, though, since there'd be no more need for redundant copies of Helpful AI, Kati, etc.
*If Hostage goes in, I wouldn't mind a 1-of copy of The Source. It's not necessary in most matchups, but could help slow down the occasional Astro train.
*I'm not sure it's right for this build, but I'm also thinking about Liberated Accounts. Emptying Kati into a Sure Gamble is regularly a clutch play here, and Liberated would let me setup that kind of quick credit recovery much more dependably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Turner
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
strundle wrote:
*Calling in Favors is clutch in the late game. It can easily net you 5-7 credits with a single click if Kati's been emptied recently.

I don't know about "easily" you'd need every single connection in the deck installed to get 7 credits. But I like how you use it as superburst econ lategame which I agree is important for Nasir. I use Stimhack for that reason.

You're missing two connections I've found great in Nasir. Fall Guy's 2 credits often do the work of 10 in Nasir as well as protecting a plump Kati or Personal Workshop from Breaking News and the Midseasons turn. Scrubber is the other one, great against NEH, RP and most HB. I think quite a few decks could play it right now, especially Nasir and especially if you use Calling in Favors. That said, Ghostrunner and Imp might be better alternatives. Imp can provide that HQ threat you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
Fjord wrote:
strundle wrote:

I don't know about "easily" you'd need every single connection in the deck installed to get 7 credits. But I like how you use it as superburst econ lategame which I agree is important for Nasir. I use Stimhack for that reason.

Well, yes, 7 is rarer than 5. But 5 is pretty standard by late game. Nonetheless, Stimhack might be superior in most cases, since it helps with the click compression problem. But it depends a bit on the matchup -- the built-in run on Stimhack works wonders on a remote, but I'm more hesitant to use Stimhack on an R&D run or the like.

Fjord wrote:
You're missing two connections I've found great in Nasir. Fall Guy's 2 credits often do the work of 10 in Nasir as well as protecting a plump Kati or Personal Workshop from Breaking News and the Midseasons turn. Scrubber is the other one, great against NEH, RP and most HB. I think quite a few decks could play it right now, especially Nasir and especially if you use Calling in Favors. That said, Ghostrunner and Imp might be better alternatives. Imp can provide that HQ threat you are looking for.

I think you're right that Imp might be the way to go here, for the dual-purpose HQ threat/assistance with assets. And the Clone Chips might get me some more mileage out of a single copy (esp. since Test Run is on the list for the next revision), as 3 influence is pretty steep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.