GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,016 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Re: Does anyone play for fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I do both. I'll play missions with friends for fun. I also play in OP and tend to do well, but I also try to have fun when I play. It's more about the experience than winning for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play just for fun, and next month I hope we will get our first OP event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play for fun with friends, I have never been big on competitions and there are none within a reasonable travel time of me.

Currently collecting OP stuff via e-bay so we can play the missions from them for no other reason than it will be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have more fun than my opponents.

I beat them at having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always missions here. They add so much to the game and stop all the meta gaming nonsense that should be left for the tournament scene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play for fun. Kind of on hold while I wait for some ships to arrive from America, though: only have Wave 1 in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I play for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the normal missions and the OP's and I have fun while playing both which is the most important for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yager
msg tools
mb
That's the only reason to play :} If you are playing for any other reason you should ask yourself why? I think to much is put on these OP events, while they are good, they will not be around for long. the real question is this, when they stop having OP events will you still play? My answer is YES!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both casual games and OP events and I find OP events fun too, if a bit nerve-wracking with such exclusive prizes on the line.

I love casual gaming because we can include higher point fleets and I think that this game really shines with 600 to 700 points on the table and a couple of space stations.

I also really, really enjoy the mission-based play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edchuk wrote:
Haven't played a tournament and don't care too. Not my cup of tea.

Bought some OP ships via eBay and BGG Marketplace for $25 each, more than price of the ships they have sell commercially but more limited in availability so willing to pay that much but not more than that.

Gotten my butt whooped by Borg but also defeated them.

Love the various factions and different types of ships out there, even the OP ones.

Also play X-wing (I am a bigger fan of Star Wars btw, especially Chewbacca...what a Wookiee!) and own only the originally trilogy ships and will not buy EU ships but that is how I roll and you are welcome to do what you want but I have more fun with Star Trek because of the theme and ability to make up my own missions and scenarios and still have fun, like a Klingon Civil War (all Klingon baby, yeah!).

Just curious, does anyone play for fun or just to win?

I only play against kids and only ruthlessly to see them cry.devil

Seriously though I absolutely play this for fun- I play Star Trek games because my brother, our closest friend and I (we're all adults) all grew up on TNG and love Star Trek-themed games that really allows us to play within that universe (unlike things like Star Trek-Monopoly which doesnt do anything for a Trek fix).

And a primary reason that I continue to play in many of the OPs around Boston is that I really enjoy the fun of playing with like-minded people and the community of players in the area is just a joy to play with. The majority don't take the OPs too seriously and we see alot of fun builds- not merely builds solely designed to win but "this sounds fun"-builds which really helps OPs be enjoyable. I really consider the community here extremely welcoming and very fun to be around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edchuk wrote:

I think this gets at the core of a gigantic problem with ST:AW, in my opinion.

It seems to be a general consensus that "playing for fun" and "playing to win" are very distinct. I'm inclined to agree, as the most competitive builds in ST:AW are, in my opinion, very little fun to fly as or to fly against. This is a problem, as it need not be the case. In X-Wing, one can certainly have a lot of fun playing while also playing to win, but by OP6 that didn't seem to be the case anymore for ST:AW with the power-combos and necessary hard counters required in every build, and the Borg have just intensified the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just play for fun. No tournaments, no worries if I blow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I fix ST:AW

1) Buy only the ships I like
2) No tournament (I don't need that to feel a better player)
3) Play with people that I like to play
4) Only faction ships/captains/upgrades etc, NO CROSS FACTION MIX!
5) Do as much as scenarios as possibile: play only for deathmatch is something I left for Xwing

You will discover a whole new game this way and fun will return
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For fun. No OP's anywhere near my area and probably best as the cross faction approach doesn't really set well with me.

I really like the game and I like space games in general just wish there were some folks nearby that want to play them more than once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The OPs can be fun, I go with a couple of friends, sometimes people aren't exactly there for fun and it can deaden things a little, but the participation stuff is pretty neat right now, getting new ships is fun. I'm mostly* not in it to win it, but to just enjoy myself, and I enjoy competing regardless of the result.

*I want that Stargazer dangit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only really PLAY for fun... but, I am the TO for OP events at two different stores. The good news is I get the prize ships for doing so, the bad news is; i rarely get to actually play because I am so busy with the events. soblue

I DID get to participate in my own second Arena event as a player. I was actually doing really well until round 3, when I got shut out and dropped from 1st to 4th. Although, even if I had won, I wouldn't have claimed a ship. I told my players that beforehand. Everyone was fine with it.

*edited to remove gratuitous overuse of the word "actually".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
I only really PLAY for fun... but, I am the TO for OP events at two different stores.

Roy runs organized play such that it is also amazingly fun. The variety of buils that hit the table is quite gratifying. The crowd is very friendly.

If anyone is anywhere near Santa Clara or Fremont in California you should come out some day and give it try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
I only really PLAY for fun... but, I am the TO for OP events at two different stores.

Roy runs organized play such that it is also amazingly fun. The variety of buils that hit the table is quite gratifying. The crowd is very friendly.

If anyone is anywhere near Santa Clara or Fremont in California you should come out some day and give it try.

High praise indeed! I am humbled. thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Albright
msg tools
yes

I want to echos zinvictus's comment that the group that plsys in the greater boston region is a really positive awesome group, and that helps

at the venue where I run we are lucky enough to always get two prize kits, and all the extra prizes go to red shirt events that are based off casual build restrictions or modified scenarios from the expansions. With the only hope of a prize being a fellowship vote/raffle people really do expand their imagination to try out different things they love, helps alleviate a lot of that "must win to get prize" pressure (because there are now extra opportunities for prizes)

big should out to all the members on here from that area, for making the games in the region fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
edchuk wrote:

I think this gets at the core of a gigantic problem with ST:AW, in my opinion.

It seems to be a general consensus that "playing for fun" and "playing to win" are very distinct. I'm inclined to agree, as the most competitive builds in ST:AW are, in my opinion, very little fun to fly as or to fly against. This is a problem, as it need not be the case. In X-Wing, one can certainly have a lot of fun playing while also playing to win, but by OP6 that didn't seem to be the case anymore for ST:AW with the power-combos and necessary hard counters required in every build, and the Borg have just intensified the problem.

Here is how I see it which can apply to any game's OP, but which I think, actually may apply more to X-Wing than to STAW. I've not personally played in a X-Wing event but I have watched more than one.

I think both OP and casual are fun. Casual is more fun for the following reason. The time limit in OP.

I frequently feel rushed in OP play. It is better to finish than not so I am very focused on the game and how much time is left. While it's rare for me personally, I still don't finish the game occasionally, that isn't very satisfying. Because of the time limit the opportunities to socialize are cut short. You still get to socialize, but not like a casual game where you might go off on a tangent and not make a move for 10 minutes.

While both are fun, I think the open ended nature of casual makes for a better experience. Playing the game is fun or I wouldn't even buy it. OP events are fun, but I really go for the participation prizes and a chance at the competition prizes. This is why I play STAW OP and not X-Wing OP. If the OP events shriveled up and disappeared it wouldn't bother me a bit since I feel there is more fun to be had in casual anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer casual, fun play as do most of the others in my area. We do travel to go to the OP events, but mostly for a chance at the new and limited edition resources and prizes. I know I would prefer to not play in OP events at all if there were other (non massively overpriced eBay-ish) ways to get some of those items.

Mission play and homemade scenarios are the most fun way to play. Reenact some of your favorite episode battles or have fun trying out various themed builds.

We had a really awesome Dominion War scenario game where we combined a couple tables to make one gigantic battle line. Ended up with 5 players a side running 200 points each. We want to do more and even larger games in the future. Sadly I didn't get any pictures, but I know there are some out there somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cylon
Australia
Ballarat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both tournament and casual but to me they are both for fun, for me even if I lose if it was a good battle I'm really happy.

The only difference being the change in format for each of them. The tournament in our store is faction pure so I always run my Klingons in tournament battles.

Casual play we always pre-choose a scenario or make one up and set a points limit and then let people go nuts, no restrictions on resources and no need for faction purity. These are great for trying out ships from other factions I own and don't take to tournament or the prize ships.

The store that we play at has sportsmanship rules, nothing overly draconian but it does tend to do the trick in keeping everyone friendly (even the overly competitive types) and it is very rare that someone has a bad battle, let alone a bad day out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodd
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Of course no one plays for fun. If people were willing to play for fun, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it and they'd call it a 'game' instead of 'work'. Sheesh. The naivete of some people. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do somewhat the opposite.

We have a weekly night for playing casual games, which is often pretty laid back: we build after choosing a scenario, so no one takes too much time to munchkin out on the builds. And they generally end up faction pure, because that means fewer cards to flip through when building.

Then we have monthly tournaments, which people spend plenty of time tuning for. This results in some pretty cutthroat builds, but that's why they call it a tournament, right? I mean, we're all having fun, and we do have a Fellowship prize (awarded by secret ballot), but the point of a tournament is competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.