GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: PrePaid Ken (Canadian Nationals - 2nd Place) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon bradford
msg tools
mbmb
First off a huge shout out to everyone who helped organize and run the event. Victor and Dien put together a top-notch event with multiple side events as well as a live stream running across both days.

I'm posting my runner deck because it's a decent ticker that I've been having success with for a little while now. My corp deck was simply NEH with a few minor variations. The Nationals, like Gencon, was up to Upstalk only.

Unnamed Deck (46 cards)

Ken "Express" Tenma: Disappeared Clone

Event (23)
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Express Delivery
2 Inside Job
2 Legwork
3 Lucky Find ••••• •
1 Planned Assault
3 Special Order
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
2 The Maker's Eye ••••

Hardware (5)
2 Desperado
3 Prepaid VoicePAD

Resource (8)
2 John Masanori
3 Same Old Thing
3 Security Testing

Icebreaker (8)
1 Corroder ••
1 Crypsis
3 Faerie
1 Femme Fatale
1 Gordian Blade •••
1 Mimic

Program (2)
2 Crescentus

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

So a few explanations. The idea for the deck was seeing the strength of the Prepaid Voice PAD economy in Kate decks at Regionals this year and wondering if I could port that into Criminal. I choose Ken because of with extra influence, for the neutral Lucky Finds, and because his ability synergizes well with the Prepaids.

I found however that the Prepaid suite gives a great burst economy, but needs to be supplemented with a baseline economy where you can easily generate 2-3 credits in a single click each turn. This is where Security Testing came in, which also works really well with Dirty Laundry if you're just running a server to get the money. I added in John Masanori, which milks the Security Testing even further, and three Express Deliveries to round out the draw.

I opted for a more straightforward breaker suite with Gordian Blade because I felt like Prepaids and Datasuckers (to support the Yog.0) would be too many pieces to set up to be effectively aggressive. I still ran Mimic however because Criminals, supposedly the faction with the best killers, don't have an efficient way to get through ice like Caduceus or Neural Katana. The Crypsis is there because I lack any sort of recursion, so if I lose a breaker to hand damage or a surprise destroyer Crypsis keeps me in the game.

The run events have been trickier. Inside Job is pretty much a must. Even though corps expect it against criminal, they can't always have a pop-up window on the outside, and often they will only put 1 ice in front of important remotes like SanSan City Grid or Adonis Campaign. I tried Indexing and even Escher, but their high influence cost eventually edged them out. Legwork and Maker's Eye work well with Prepaid (a single Prepaid makes them free with Ken's ability). When all was said and done I had an extra influence that I couldn't really slot in anywhere (I preferred 2 Maker's Eye to 1 Maker's Eye and 1 Indexing for consistency's sake) so I 46'ed to add Stimhack. Stimhack has been a great splash, letting me over extend myself and still pull a surprise threaten on a remote. With 2 or 3 Prepaids in play you can go from 0 to 19 credits and running in a turn. It's also helpful for blowing past the Ash that you know is in the scoring server.

A last minute change was to drop the two Account Siphons I had and replace them with Crescentus. This was partially a meta choice as I was having a hard time against Replicating Perfection decks, and also I felt like my deck needed more answers to large ice like Archers, Tollbooth, etc...

I'm hanging this deck up because if Will-o'-the-Wisp is even a mediocre card, it still wrecks this deck out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guze
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, completely oblivious to this, I built a very similar Prepaid Ken deck last night. Now when people see it I'm gonna look like a copycat. I'll agree, though, the econ you can get with this is pretty insane. One Dirty Laundry with the right support can net you 9 credits for a click and a card (Prepaid x2, Security Testing, Desperado, Tenma), which is pretty insane. My version doesn't have any draw support at all, which really sucks when I can't find breakers or Special Order, but I think I probably can find things to cut for Masanori or Express Delivery after seeing this.

I noticed you cut Plascrete, which was something I was going back and forth on when building my version, but ultimately kept it. I wasn't sure if I could completely avoid getting tagged and low enough on econ for it to work, but you seem to have done a good job avoiding it.

Quote:
A last minute change was to drop the two Account Siphons I had and replace them with Crescentus. This was partially a meta choice as I was having a hard time against Replicating Perfection decks, and also I felt like my deck needed more answers to large ice like Archers, Tollbooth, etc...

Why not Emergency Shutdown instead to free up MU? Is the HQ run less likely to happen?

Quote:
I'm hanging this deck up because if Will-o'-the-Wisp is even a mediocre card, it still wrecks this deck out of the game.

Maybe replace Express Delivery and Masanori with Window and Mr. Li? It's not as efficient in the average case but still decent and more useful against Willow.

SUPER LATE EDIT: Also, congrats on 2nd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool deck and excellent games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congrats to you and El-Ad!

Maybe I should rebrand Meteor Decks as "Deck Builder Of Champions" since you two and at least a couple more of the top 16 are using it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asterisk CGY
msg tools
I think with Crecentus you can use it in conjunction with any of your run events with it installed, instead of dedicating two clicks to an HQ run and a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guze
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AsteriskCGY wrote:
I think with Crecentus you can use it in conjunction with any of your run events with it installed, instead of dedicating two clicks to an HQ run and a card.

True, but in order to use Crescentus you have to actually break the subroutines, which isn't always ideal (you'll probably never use it on Wotan). Shutdown lets you generally avoid that, unless the problem ice is already over HQ, but that's what things like Femme are for. I agree both cards have advantages and disadvantages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon bradford
msg tools
mbmb
talking_chicken wrote:
AsteriskCGY wrote:

True, but in order to use Crescentus you have to actually break the subroutines, which isn't always ideal (you'll probably never use it on Wotan). Shutdown lets you generally avoid that, unless the problem ice is already over HQ, but that's what things like Femme are for. I agree both cards have advantages and disadvantages.

All these points are valid. The choice was pretty much a toss up between the two. Another advantage of Crescentus is that you can play it early on and not have it suck up hand space that you want to keep for run events, econ, whatevers. Of course another advantage of Emergency Shutdown is that you can recur it with Same Old Thing if need be. In the end I think it's a personal preference.

I went with Crescentus because I really was expecting a lot of RP, and they typically put a Caprice on HQ against criminals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon bradford
msg tools
mbmb
Kiv6 wrote:
Congrats to you and El-Ad!

Maybe I should rebrand Meteor Decks as "Deck Builder Of Champions" since you two and at least a couple more of the top 16 are using it

lol! I prefer Meteor because I need to see pictures of the cards as I'm deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
talking_chicken wrote:
AsteriskCGY wrote:

crescentus is insane with faerie to shutdown jinteki sentries and archer. it has some advantages over emergency shutdown in that it does not suffer from work compression (you can install crescentus on a previous click of a previous turn, whereas the clicks after you make your HQ run during the same turn might be too valuable to spend on ES), does not get countered by caprice on HQ, and does not hold up space in your hand (which is valuable, since you are already holding a lot of events as a criminal) in exchange for MU. crescentus is also really good against bioroids, where you don't even need a breaker sometimes to derez. it's also powerful with knight, where you can afford to break an ice once but not repeatedly.

in general, I would recommend emergency shutdown and then supplement those with crescentus, especially if you are worried about the JRP matchup and/or you do not have parasites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Harvey
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey, was there any footage of you playing this deck at nationals?

I've been playing a prepaid ken deck, not really similar to yours though. I've found it's been working very well with the exception of my poor playing mistakes. I've found it's very dynamic allowing me to read what the corp is doing and adapt to that deck easily.

It's PPvP, with Doppelgänger and indexing. (Dubstep Ken)

Dubstep Ken (45 cards)

Event (25)
2 Account Siphon
3 Deja Vu
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Express Delivery
2 Indexing
2 Inside Job
1 Legwork
3 Planned Assault
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
2 Doppelganger
3 Plascrete Carapace
3 Prepaid VoicePAD

Resource (6)
3 Kati Jones
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
1 Alias
1 Breach
1 Corroder
1 Garrote
1 Gordian Blade
1 Passport

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw "Dubstep" Ken and thought it was going to have Wyldside or Duggar's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon bradford
msg tools
mbmb
harvolev wrote:
Hey, was there any footage of you playing this deck at nationals?

There was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZjtKpywYc

(From the Swiss. Extremely poor play on my part that I forget to take the tags from Masanori. In fairness I got completely wrecked this game.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrrsVhVPBCU

(From the Finals, it's a long cut, so my Ken games are at 0:02:26 (end of a game vs HB Fast Advance) 2:10:12 (vs NBN Midseasons) and 5:25:25 (vs NEH AstroBiotics)

Quote:

I've been playing a prepaid ken deck, not really similar to yours though. I've found it's been working very well with the exception of my poor playing mistakes. I've found it's very dynamic allowing me to read what the corp is doing and adapt to that deck easily.

It's PPvP, with Doppelgänger and indexing. (Dubstep Ken)

Dubstep Ken (45 cards)

Event (25)
2 Account Siphon
3 Deja Vu
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Express Delivery
2 Indexing
2 Inside Job
1 Legwork
3 Planned Assault
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
2 Doppelganger
3 Plascrete Carapace
3 Prepaid VoicePAD

Resource (6)
3 Kati Jones
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
1 Alias
1 Breach
1 Corroder
1 Garrote
1 Gordian Blade
1 Passport

Cool deck! How is your economy? I ask because you have some expensive breakers, and only 3 Sure Gambles, 3 Dirty Laundry, and 3 Kati to support it. Also 3 Planned Assault seems like overkill unless you're playing them right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.