GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,415 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: XCOM : Hows the squad combat between aliens potrayed ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as a fan of original xcom and xcom 2 , im curious how FFG will implement squad combat , as i see the game can be played by 1 person. Will it used Gear of War's AI for alien movement ?

hows the map depicted ? Grid map ? hex map ? the tactical game , is it played with the same 'action point' style as in the original xcom ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From the GenCon fotage, it seems combat is much more abstract in this game. I don't think there is any movement or map at all for the actual combat. I was not there to try it though so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
From the GenCon fotage, it seems combat is much more abstract in this game. I don't think there is any movement or map at all for the actual combat. I was not there to try it though so...

are you kidding me ? seriously ? i cant access the video.. but an xcom game without squad combat is not xcom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
base game does not cover this aspect. maybe there is a space for xcom 2 - when ffg decides to make tiles size of the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
I think your best bet is to re-install the original game and enjoy it again on your computer, as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Play it, and then imagine trying to translate such a complex computer game into a tabletop game, and you will very quickly discover why they didn't even try to do that. Nobody wants to play a 300+ hour board game with player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bright Side wrote:
I think your best bet is to re-install the original game and enjoy it again on your computer, as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Play it, and then imagine trying to translate such a complex computer game into a tabletop game, and you will very quickly discover why they didn't even try to do that. Nobody wants to play a 300+ hour board game with player elimination.

This. People want an xcom boardgame that can do in 2-3 hours what the videogame did in 80 hours. Well, it's not possible. Abstractions are required. I really don't know what people were expecting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Smuggler wrote:

are you kidding me ? seriously ? i cant access the video.. but an xcom game without squad combat is not xcom

Its a more high level approach to the game. I don't agree its not XCOM just highlighting a different part of the game.

If you want Squad combat there are several other games out there that can do the job, I am currently enjoy Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
An XCOM game without the base management/strategy layer is not XCOM.

If the board game were a tactical miniatures game, it would take at least an hour just to play out one mission. And that would then be the whole game. How is that XCOM? XCOM is about repelling the alien invasion from start to finish; building your base, developing your technologies and sending your guys out on (multiple) missions. That's XCOM, and that's what they've done in this game.

And in order to make it fit into a reasonable timeframe, of course the tactical combat battles had to be abstracted down to die rolls that take a few seconds.

That's not to say there aren't still tactics involved in the squad combat portion of the game; the Squad Leader still needs to decide which troops to send with what equipment to each mission, and which to leave behind to defend the base. There are still tactical decisions involved, they're just not played out on a map and their resolution takes seconds rather than hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

If the board game were a tactical miniatures game, it would take at least an hour just to play out one mission. And that would then be the whole game. How is that XCOM? XCOM is about repelling the alien invasion from start to finish; building your base, developing your technologies and sending your guys out on (multiple) missions. That's XCOM, and that's what they've done in this game.

And in order to make it fit into a reasonable timeframe, of course the tactical combat battles had to be abstracted down to die rolls that take a few seconds.

That's not to say there aren't still tactics involved in the squad combat portion of the game; the Squad Leader still needs to decide which troops to send with what equipment to each mission, and which to leave behind to defend the base. There are still tactical decisions involved, they're just not played out on a map and their resolution takes seconds rather than hours.

So Right !
And the Squad Leader looks to roll in two encounters, what with the Base defense & Missions .
( probably 'pushing the Threat Level track in both encounters.

They get Tech upgrades from the scientist and the tokens that go on their base when they make Officer (i saw somewhere).
Their reflecting the tactical level of the vid game quite well , for a mid-level complexity board game .

For a A.T. board game _ reflecting a video game,, thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Agreed 100%.
The boardgame must emulate some aspects of the videogame, but it shouldn't even try to offer the same experience as it would be pointless.

I actually think that a tactical miniatures game in the xcom universe would be really cool and possible, but that too would have to have a bunch of abstractions.

In the end, it is much easier to replicate the XCOM feel investing on the strategy layer (as it can simplify the ground combat and offer a more complete package).

I personally don't like real time boardgames in general and deciding things in a hurry is not a characteristic of XCOM to me.

But those can be very solid design choices if well made. Heck, the real time aspect could perfectly emulate the tension of the videogame. Also, abstract combat can also be very rewarding and exciting.

I understand that such a great and big game means different things for different people but to make a game that plays in an hour and half tops, Fantasy Flight had to be very focused on the design.

This might not be what we anted or expected, but it is not "wrong" by any means.

We should maintain an open mind and wait. I, for one, am curious to see the reviews and learn a bit more about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a matter of time before FFG decide to release a second game which ends up being a tactical miniature game of XCOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
It's just a matter of time before FFG decide to release a second game which ends up being a tactical miniature game of XCOM.

This also.

And then only a matter of time before someone creates a fan variant to join the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

Perhaps.

I do think that if they do it right they can make an X-COM tactical game that can stand on its own - AND - can also link with this overworld game to create a grand campaign that would span several weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having to play a tactical game that would last a minimum of 45-60 mins in between those 5 minutes stressful phases is gonna be hard to mix but hey, you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

And then only a matter of time before someone creates a fan variant to join the two.

That would make multi-sessions campaign that I am sure some geeks would be willing to try. But even I who loved the new XCOM game, I would not be willing to play that. I would probably prefer the strategic layer over the tactical layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

That would make multi-sessions campaign that I am sure some geeks would be willing to try. But even I who loved the new XCOM game, I would not be willing to play that. I would probably prefer the strategic layer over the tactical layer.

That sounds like something I'd want to try exactly once, just to say that I've done it. I think such a variant would be more sensible if the tactical combats were about as long as each turn of the strategic game. (10-15 minutes?)

The strategic layer is where X-Com is won or lost. You can botch a mission (or several!) and still win, with maybe a handful of truly "must win" missions. If you botch the strategic game, you'll quickly careen off the rails into a fiery train wreck that will destroy humanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Having to play a tactical game that would last a minimum of 45-60 mins in between those 5 minutes stressful phases is gonna be hard to mix but hey, you never know.

Kinda reminds me of those guys in Europe who do a round of boxing and then sit down and play 10 minutes of chess and then box again, until someone is knocked out or someone achieves check mate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilus wrote:
Acererak wrote:

Kinda reminds me of those guys in Europe who do a round of boxing and then sit down and play 10 minutes of chess and then box again, until someone is knocked out or someone achieves check mate

Oh my god, that sounds amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
nilus wrote:
Acererak wrote:

Oh my god, that sounds amazing!

Yes. Chess-Boxing is a real sport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was disheartened by the lack of Squad combat, but am keeping an open mind.

I kinda foresaw an Xcom game to be like the Descent Campaign add on. So you have a world map as it were, then goto individual combat as and when it happens.

To be fair, I'm just happy there's going to be an xcom game! Love the theme!

(Terror From The Deep next?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly like descent, but since FFG have a working miniature dungeon crawling game it would make more sense to just reuse a system already working on a different theme. So that you could combine stuff from both games.

Yeah! special ops fighting dragons, awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I don't particularly like descent, but since FFG have a working miniature dungeon crawling game it would make more sense to just reuse a system already working on a different theme. So that you could combine stuff from both games.

Yeah! special ops fighting dragons, awesome.

I think they just did that

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/164153/star-wars-impe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled on that game too.

Are both system compatible?

I think the only star wars game I would be willing to buy is to get something like twilight imperium in the starwars universe. It could be a 2 player game or even single player game, I don't care. Maybe you could be more than 2 players by playing neutral factions that could be bribed on one side or the other. You could maybe have various scenarios according to various era (before empire, during rebellion, etc)

It's probably the only kind of game that has not been done for starwars yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Starcraft board game re-themed to Star Wars would be wicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:
A Starcraft board game re-themed to Star Wars would be wicked.

Still wouldn't be quite right. You want the feeling of one player having a lot of military power, and the other player having the feeling of using lots of infiltration and subterfuge to achieve their goals. Just a straight war game wouldn't really work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.