GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Idea/House rule for thrown weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stinner
msg tools
I noticed in the new army lists that some units had the option for javelins, which is great. It looked like they had the same profile as a Heavy Crossbow, which seemed very potent for a thrown weapon. I was thinking of using the following profile for thrown weapons instead:

Thrown Weapon (Javelins, Darts): d8/d12. May be combined with a Shield. 5 Crowns. Infantry with Thrown weapons may be given the ranked fighting ability for +2 crowns (representing the rear ranks throwing into the fray).

Heavy Throwing Weapon(Pilum, Throwing Axes): d6/d10. May be combined with a Shield. 6 Crowns. Infantry with Heavy Throwing weapons may be given the ranked fighting ability for +2 crowns (representing the rear ranks throwing into the fray). Soft counter vs units with Shields, and Ignore the Shield trait.

Do these seem appropriate without making them too good/too weak? At some point in the future we may dig out our Ancient armies again, many of which would have many of these weapons, especially Javelins.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do these seem appropriate without making them too good/too weak? At some point in the future we may dig out our Ancient armies again, many of which would have many of these weapons, especially Javelins.

I think they look great! Play some games with your Ancient forces and see how they feel. You can always adjust the ranges and damage if you need to, but your concepts are solid.

A quick question and a couple of recommendations:

Does the ranked fighting option add an extra die to both the ranged attack and ranged damage roll? If yes, then your points look good. If it's only one of the two, then I'd change it to a +1 crown upgrade. I'd do with the extra die to both.

I'd bump the Heavy Throwing Weapon cost to 8 crowns. It's a small change, but it'll make it a more accurate cost [and those crowns add do add up!].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stinner
msg tools
Actually for the ranked fighting I figured it would apply just to melee as normal...instead of a long weapon it would represent the back ranks throwing weapons into the fight. I made it optional as I thought it would be better suited for more disciplined troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnS1998 wrote:
Actually for the ranked fighting I figured it would apply just to melee as normal...instead of a long weapon it would represent the back ranks throwing weapons into the fight. I made it optional as I thought it would be better suited for more disciplined troops.

I like the application of the rule and the visual it creates- nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.