GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Is this perk too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to mimic something like the Orion engine doubling in SFB which damaged their engines.

Suppose you got 4 mission tokens on your card when you decided to double. Then for 4 turns you get +1 primary weapon, +1 agility, and +1 shields. After 4 turns you get 4 aux tokens you have to work off.

Too much or too little?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give them the aux tokens immediately, make them work off while having the extra powered stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to let them do actions with tokens unless the perk wasn't an action and or was instead of all actions. Also with Chekov and aux control room, it won't be much of a penalty if they can finish up with no tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why not make it an action to activate for 1 turn and gain 2 aux tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you started with zero tokens, and if you don't have any auxes you can use it by adding a mission token and take one aux for each token? In principle this could be used indefinitely, but for all practical purposes you'll wear out your engines after a few uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is that the ship, in this case an Orion Raider, looks like a much more powerful ship ... for a while. Then it exhausts itself and is then worse off. In some ways this is like STAW Tribbles.

So the mechanic I came up with isn't important but what is important is that the ship have some number of turns with an advantage, and then some turns with a disadvantage ... like the Tribbles. SFB did it with damage, removing permanently some amount of power with each turn the engines were doubled. We can't really do that here because there is no power allocation, but Aux Power tends to stand in for that so this is what I came up with. Initially I thought of doubling the primary weapons and shields and adding an agility but I was worried that might be too powerful. This is no good if my friends won't actually let me play it

I want a good mechanic that gives the ship a real advantage that is worth taking, but will also be challenging if the ships battle for too long. I want to use the mechanic for the Akyazi class ship which is (according to the book I'm reading) modeled after the Orion raider to "use itself to exhaustion" while waiting for help to blunt an attack ... essentially to buy time to respond to the invasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
I think this idea might work better as a TECH card that discarded along with negative stats/movement after X turns , (you could do it like the NX Enterprise and make it free to take if that better fit your theme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another idea for a different way to express the "more power for a while" idea. What if a ship perk gave you kind of "negative" aux power tokens. That is you started off with X mission tokens and at any time you could use them to cancel an aux power token? That makes you more maneuverable for a while and some abilities that give you an aux power could be mitigated. Not sure how big X should be, but it's an interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.