GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,441 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Getting the most out of Duggar's - First Contact rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anarch, A faction defined by its powerful programs and disrupting events. Its a faction that typically gains a big bonus by risking something.

Next data pack, we will be receiving our second draw card in faction. A card called Duggar's. I probably missed the party that talked about Duggar's, but ever since I saw the spoiler for it I have been trying to think of ways to maximize its benefits.

This card presents a few options for a faction that is pretty starved for card draw, but it also comes with a pretty huge drawback, in that it requires four clicks to use.

Unlike Wyldside, you typically will want to use this card when you have fewer than three cards in your hand. Three in this way is kind of the magic number. If you visit Duggar's with three or more, you will be usually pitching 8 cards to Duggar's.

Its no Cache and it certainly is not as easy to slap into a deck as the upcoming Inject, but it might have some potential. Unfortunately, pretty much all of the combos I have thought of require a third card to really maximize it.

A few potential combos:

Retrieval Run/Pawn
Now this combo really shines to me! This lets you throw your bigger programs into the garbage and grab them back later (morningstar!) or set up a recursion play later with a chess piece of choice - typically knight, but bishop might see some play after all the power counter breakers hit the scene. Of course without any click enhancement, you are telegraphing your intent. But this might be huge in econ denial decks. Maybe Big Rig Anarch will be more of a thing? Doubtful, but possibly.

Deja Vu/Same Old Thing/Clone Chip recursion play
Duggar's tips off whats coming to your opponent, but it also gets whatever event, program (viruses!) right where you might want it. In some builds, you might not even need to run Coordinated Assault anymore, as this card allows you to tutor from your heap.

Public Sympathy: Probably the easiest way to soften the blow of using Duggar's overdraw. Most decks don't have slots for Public Sympathy, but maybe it can work as an alternative to plascrete in some decks and can be replaced with origami when it is released.

All Nighter/Joshua B + Mass Install
Not that potent of a combo, but you can use it right away to make a run with an event you have in your grip or perform a mass install.

Joshua B/All Nighter + Freelance Coding Contract seems a pretty decent combo in some Anarch decks. Get rid of those second or third copies of rook/medium/djin/etc. and cash in on your monster draw. What I like best about this set up is that it gets you huge money and ensures you end your turn with a hand full of stuff you want to play next turn. Of course you will be tagged... and this is a three card combo. Seems only really viable out of Tag-Me Anarch, which will be playing an econ war with the corp.

Have any other ideas on how to play this upcoming card? Share them! Keep fighting the good fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
Not all cards can be used as soon as they are released. I honestly doubt people will be able to make Duggars trully shine before Origami comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Turner
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget Stim Dealer.

The turn after Duggar's might also be worth building a deck around. I was playing against a Whizzard deck a while back that is an impressive example. He just applied a bit of pressure early, efficiently building up a stockpile of money with Daily Casts, Liberated Accounts. A couple All-Nighters came out, hmm strange use of influence. I think I was up 5-0 when he exploded with Mass Install triple Medium and accessed something like 20 cards with 5 R&D runs, even with a double iced R&D the only thing that stopped him scoring 8points right there was that he couldn't afford the second NAPD contracts after trashing a few cards on the second last run. Keyhole, Demolition Run and Joshua B would have worked just as well for this power turn so it's actually not unrealistic, especially with Duggar's. The hard part would be the next time you faced that opponent laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hraklea wrote:
Not all cards can be used as soon as they are released. I honestly doubt people will be able to make Duggars trully shine before Origami comes out.

I know Hraklea, but the nicest part about the recent cycle being mostly spoiled is that we have a bit of a peak ahead. We thankfully can speculate on its popularity post Origami.

I also wonder if Origami might revitalize Wyldside builds. Of course you have to get 5 turns worth of Wyldside to equal 1 turn of Duggar's...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone catch the Identity Trilogy reference? (Mimic, p. 140)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
+1 click and freelance seems best for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
Fjord wrote:

Good point. Stim Dealer will be a better partner for Duggar's than Joshua B., in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hraklea wrote:
Fjord wrote:

Good point. Stim Dealer will be a better partner for Duggar's than Joshua B., in my opinion.

Absolutely! Or the new 1 influence resource. Rachel Beckman(?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
i think same ol thing and levy will be a must right ? im not putting duggars in a deck to do it once...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sniktsnikt wrote:
i think same ol thing and levy will be a must right ? im not putting duggars in a deck to do it once...

Hand-size increase, Levy, Deja Vu, SoT... as much recursion as you can cram in

EDIT: Forgot Clone Chips :O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal Workshop with monolith on. Use Duggars, pull monolith off, and install 3 programs. Have Savoir Faire be installed or be one of those programs to install another one from your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone that plays 2xFreelance Coding Contract in my Shaper deck, it's a really amazing card if you can consistently get 6-10 creds from each copy. Just going from 0->6 is huge.

Don't forget Theophilius Bagbiter! For the low low cost of 4 influence, money-rich anarchs can stim themselves indefinitely =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
honestly, if you design your deck with this card as your draw engine with lots of multiples, cards that stay installed (KJ cs AC) and ways to reset like levy, couldn't you just use duggars without increasing your handsize and simply get your most important tools in your hand when you need them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
experimilk wrote:
honestly, if you design your deck with this card as your draw engine with lots of multiples, cards that stay installed (KJ cs AC) and ways to reset like levy, couldn't you just use duggars without increasing your handsize and simply get your most important tools in your hand when you need them?

Yes, but it's good to also have a click to DO something the same turn you superdraw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
experimilk wrote:

The big advantage of huge +handsize as I see it is as a more elegant solution to packing Plascrete Carapace. I definitely expect it to become More Of A Thing this cycle, at least in Anarch with origami/duggars etc. Weyland can have all the money they like, they can't kill you with 3xSE if you're on 12 cards! And, the runner gets a positive out of the deal - the ability to keep events and resources in hand until they need to play them, rather than taking a tempo hit by dropping them before they're required, just so they don't have to discard down.

Plus, it also makes for a solid way to run vs high net & brain damage strats with impunity. So, no need to run Net Shield / Deus / Feedback Filter either. Although...psychic field still hurts. (I suspect it was printed as a way to counter precisely this sort of strategy).

Ice-wise Komainu is not really a problem vs anarch as you can just parasite it to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Malefact wrote:

The big advantage of huge +handsize as I see it is as a more elegant solution to packing Plascrete Carapace. I definitely expect it to become More Of A Thing this cycle, at least in Anarch with origami/duggars etc. Weyland can have all the money they like, they can't kill you with 3xSE if you're on 12 cards! And, the runner gets a positive out of the deal - the ability to keep events and resources in hand until they need to play them, rather than taking a tempo hit by dropping them before they're required, just so they don't have to discard down.

Plus, it also makes for a solid way to run vs high net & brain damage strats with impunity. So, no need to run Net Shield / Deus / Feedback Filter either. Although...psychic field still hurts. (I suspect it was printed as a way to counter precisely this sort of strategy).

Ice-wise Komainu is not really a problem vs anarch as you can just parasite it to death.

yeah i would definitely prioritize having a large handsize over having one click left over after using duggars, but really it seems like stim dealer + origami + duggars is the best of all worlds. going to be a good look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.