GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a good score? (first scored game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cy rus
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I've played a handful of games but hadn't been keeping track of my score, but I think I did pretty well this time so I wanted to post it and see how it stacks up. My card pool is very limited but I've constructed what I think is the best deck I can, I call it No Quest Legolas (I'll post it below for fun).

Sooo on Passage Through Mirkwood playing solo my score was 93.

Seems...okay? Maybe good? Here's the deck!

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com The Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder
Total Cards: (50)

Hero: (3)
1x Legolas (Core Set)
1x Beravor (Core Set)
1x Denethor (Core Set)

Ally: (20)
1x Henamarth Riversong (Core Set)
3x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Gleowine (Core Set)
3x Veteran Axehand (Core Set)
3x Dori (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set)
3x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)
2x Erebor Hammersmith (Core Set)
1x Bofur (Over Hill and Under Hill)

Attachment: (11)
1x Great Yew Bow (On the Doorstep)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
1x Thror's Map (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Blade of Gondolin (Core Set)
2x Protector of Lorien (Core Set)
2x Forest Snare (Core Set)
2x Self Preservation (Core Set)

Event: (19)
1x Beorn's Hospitality (Core Set)
2x Expecting Mischief (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Radagast's Cunning (Core Set)
2x Lorien's Wealth (Core Set)
3x Lore of Imladris (Core Set)
2x Secret Paths (Core Set)
3x Ravens of the Mountain (On the Doorstep)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x Gandalf's Search (Core Set)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm wondering how you advance without threating out by totally ignoring questing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm honestly not sure - scores are relative to the available card pool, and I haven't seen many people posting their scores, certainly not with this pool. There's also the same question posed elsewhere about how you prevent threat increase if you really don't quest at all. I am assuming you do, and the name is a bit of an exaggeration.

I have the same card pool, until new stuff arrives later this week. I will see if I have time to throw a deck together and we can compare scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Looking back at my scored games for Passage Through Mirkwood, they vary somewhat by deck. I'd say that 93 is a respectable score. You may find that replaying the same scenario you can go lower based on an improved understanding of the encounter deck and some luck.

For instance, my deck built specifically for Passage Through Mirkwood using the full card pool has scored:
79, 100, 47, 61, 64, 34

Everything really came together in that 34-point game, but you can see the variance is high even for the same deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK I played again last night with a thrown-together Leadership/Spirit deck using the same card pool as you. I was on track for about an 80 score but drew Ungoliant's spawn as the final stage and didn't have the combat power to deal with both it and a Beastmaster I already had. If I had drawn Beorn's path I'd have easily finished next turn.

But even that did take me a few tries so I'd say anything in the 90s is certainly respectable, reflecting a finish in about 5 rounds and finishing threat of 40-45.

That said I'm curious how you got that score. It only seems possible if you get both Blades of Gondolin on Legolas right from the start, plus Gandalf to help with questing which in this case will just reduce the threat increase slightly, since you will be raising it by 3 every round instead of 1. The odds of that are fairly slim in a 50 card deck.

You start with 27 threat. I don't see any readying abilities in your deck, so Legolas can only kill 1 enemy per round. So it is basically impossible to complete stages 1&2 in less than 3 turns even with both Blades, even more so without questing successfully. If you draw Gandalf, early and play him in round 2, then after 4 rounds your threat will be 37 even if you somehow quest successfully every round.

Certainly seems like this would only be possible if you get Ungoliant's spawn, as using Legolas for the other stage 3 card would take at least 3 more rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you care so much about scoring ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickpes wrote:
Why do you care so much about scoring ?

Why do you care so much about why someone cares so much about scoring?

Kidding aside, I cared very much about scoring when I was on a bowling league and it had nothing to do with competition. It had everything to do with challenging myself. Scoring in LOTR gives one a finer measurement than simply "win" or "lose" when evaluating one's performance.

One could just as easily track the details of a game and end up with the same result but scoring on the FFG scale of things gives a somewhat objective measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, never thought about it like this.

I count my score (I think that I use an old system though, the one with the rounds counting as 10 points per round) but it is just for fun. I do not grade a deck good depending on the score I get with it, more I give attention on the way the deck deploys on the quest.
Offcourse this may be because I mostly like to play solo mono tactics and getting a descent score with them is not that easy (but it is a great challenge anyway) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nickpes wrote:
I think that I use an old system though, the one with the rounds counting as 10 points per round

Hmmm... that's an old system? I thought that was the 'new' scoring system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, I always get confused about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cy rus
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I really don't care about the score, I was just curious. The fact that it wins at all is good enough for me

I did get both blades and a pretty excellent draw, including a Gandalf that I used to push through a huge turn, but honestly I've only played the game a few times, so maybe I missed something so it was easier than it should have been. I'll have to re-read the rules and see if that's the case.

Thanks for all the replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cy rus
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Sooo I was definitely playing the game wrong.......

Oops! I'm a n00b. Back to the drawing board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
VHStapes wrote:
Sooo I was definitely playing the game wrong.......

Oops! I'm a n00b. Back to the drawing board!

Lol, oh dear...

I'm sure you will work something out. 50 card decks can definitely beat that quest with the sets you have, even if you stick with the original heroes.

But perhaps the obvious thing to try is a dwarf deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.