GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Star Wars Customizable Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: GenCon 2014 Sealed Deck Tournament Mini-Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after not playing for far too long, it was time to crack open some packs and try some sealed deck SWCCG action. I drew some terrible cards, but I did the best I could with them. It was a great time and so, for the record, here are some notes from the 2014 GenCon sealed deck event. There were 21 players (I think) and everyone had a good time, as far as I could tell.

You always have to do the best you can with whatever random nonsense you get in a sealed event, and we all know that SWCCG is not the best game to play sealed in, but what the heck? For our $26, we were given a premiere starter, a premiere booster, three Jabba's Palace boosters and a pack of Reflections 1. We were paired up with someone and each of us took a side, we traded the card from the other allegiance to our partner and built 40-card decks. In all of my cards, I only had one starship and no decent characters, so I knew my deck had a serious weakness. But what are you gonna do?

My only character with a decent ability number was the B'omarr Monk. I had a few 2-ability characters and a bunch of droids. Since I knew that drawing ability is always a problem in sealed, I figured the arc welder might come in handy. So, with nothing else to work with, I decided to make an R2 superhero deck. It sort of worked. Here's what I came up with:

===

Characters:
Dutch (shiny)
B'omarr Monk
Ithorian x2
Devaronian
Artoo
Gran
CZ-3 x2
Wolfman x2
Florn Lampriod (+1 to attrition made a big difference in one fight)
Chadra-Fan
Oola
R2-X2 x2
Klatoonian Revolutionary
Jess

Locations:
Mos Eisley
Dune Sea
Moisture Farm
Entrance Cavern
Yavin 4: Jungle

Effects:
Projection of a Skywalker
Crash Site Memorial (never used)

Blue cards:
Sorosub speeder
Y-wing

Interrupts:
Rebel Barrier
Bargaining Table
Fallen Portal
It Could Be Worse (make it effectively a 42+ card deck? Sounds good)
Skull
We're Doomed
Warriors Courage (never got to use it)
Choke x2
Surprise Assault (killer card in sealed)
Nabrun Leids (very handy)

Weapons/Devices:
Vibro-Ax
Arc Welder (always a surprise)

===

I didn't take detailed notes, but there were a few plays that I remember. Tatooine was obviously the key battleground and every game started with me playing the Moisture Farm and my opponent playing Jabba's Palace. In the first game (against Justin), I found my Monk on the opening hand and he helped lock down the entrance all game long. I couldn't attack with him, but you put some forfeit with him and he was able to defend it quite well. It would have been better to find him in the second game, when my opponent (Chris) started with Location, Location, Location and we were losing force with stupid regularity. That, plus a well-timed Limited Resources (plus the fact that he drew a freaking shiny Executor) meant that I wasn't able to get anything going in my second game.

The first time I played the arc welder, I did it wrong, since I waited until the weapons segment. Thankfully, my opponent let me redo it, since it's supposed to happen at the start of a battle. That meant I was able to shoo his Weequay with a Vibro-Ax away and not only take away his destiny but also his chance to make me not draw. It's little plays like this that make sealed so much fun. Against my third opponent (Charles), the deck worked well enough to keep Dutch out or range of a Luke Seeker, which was hunting him down but Nabrun allowed Dutch to jump from one end of Tattoine to the other and keep on drawing destiny.

In the end, I went 2-1, so that was good. I like how you need to keep the 4-ability rule in mind in sealed, but sometimes you just risk playing one weak guy to a site and hope for the best.

Thanks to the organizers and if anyone's got some sealed product left in their basements, it's way more fun to open them up and play some random decks than it is to keep the plastic on. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize they had a tournament. Was this existing cards or were "virtual cards" legal? I'm guessing sealed deck means Decipher content only. Interesting that there are still sealed decks sitting around for these events to be had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was Decipher cards only. There was also a Cube draft later in the day that I couldn't make it to that used V-cards. And, really, if you're just using Premiere and JP, it's not that hard to find sealed product (at least, it isn't at a place like GenCon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.