GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,403 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Golem Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: Device, Monetization, & Gameplay Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fletcher C.
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a few questions related to gameplay I was unable to find on the Golem Arcana website:

Devices
1. Is internet connectivity required to play? Or a local wireless network?
2. Can multiple bluetooth devices be used for the same match, or do I need to pass my phone to my friend for their turn?

Monetization
3. I saw mention that units were available for purchase in the app. Does this mean I have to purchase both the physical figure and an in-app purchase to use it?
4. Have the creators talked about what their plans are, if any, for future proofing the physical aspects of the game? Will I be expecting to have to buy new figured every six months or a year as the game app updates?

Gameplay
5. Assuming multiple devices can be used for the same match, is the game in any way make use of secret information one player might know but the other doesn't? Or is all information readily available?
6. Does the app support replays of previous games, spectator viewing of current game or past games, or other similar functional?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Jakes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nojh wrote:
So I have a few questions related to gameplay I was unable to find on the Golem Arcana website:

Devices
2. Can multiple bluetooth devices be used for the same match, or do I need to pass my phone to my friend for their turn?

No, but it is required to download and update the app and send results to their servers.

The next thing in the pipeline is likely to be multiple devices. The goal is 8 stylii and 8 devices simultaneously.

Nojh wrote:

Monetization
3. I saw mention that units were available for purchase in the app. Does this mean I have to purchase both the physical figure and an in-app purchase to use it?
4. Have the creators talked about what their plans are, if any, for future proofing the physical aspects of the game? Will I be expecting to have to buy new figured every six months or a year as the game app updates?

Ancient Ones and Knights for the Golems are digital assets. A base set comes with the app, but additional ones are expected to be $2 each.

I havevsaud this over and over and no HBS rep has disagreed: one of the draws for me is being able to use a model ad infinitum. If a new combo comes out that changes the power structure, rather than Errata or block old units, the Army Point value will change. Simple as that.

Nojh wrote:

Gameplay
5. Assuming multiple devices can be used for the same match, is the game in any way make use of secret information one player might know but the other doesn't? Or is all information readily available?
6. Does the app support replays of previous games, spectator viewing of current game or past games, or other similar functional?

I am not sure how they will handle that, but I'm positive they will have a solution, as the War Council event at GenCon showed them using private Inteland objectives and its integral aspect of the game scenarios.

No support yet, but with enough requests, they likely will be put in the pipeline. HBS has already a proven.track record for reactivity to their customer base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try my best to take a shot here. If I am wrong or don't have all the answers, hopefully someone else can jump in and answer.

Nojh wrote:

Devices

I tested this without my Wi-Fi enabled and just the stylus connected via bluetooth and seemed to work fine.

Nojh wrote:

Not exactly clear on your question but each stylus is associated to one blue-tooth capable device (phone / tablet) at a time. You can have multiple stylus' associated to a single blue-tooth capable device but not the other way around.

Nojh wrote:
Monetization

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere (someone with more experience may be able to shed some light here).

However, from what I have seen, you need the models/Golems to play. To position and move them you need the physical models and grid tiles. You can't just select them on your phone/tablet and select a square on the grid on your phone/tablet to move them.

Now there are Relics and Ancient Ones. Ancient Ones are purely selected at the beginning of a scenario and once your mana reaches a certain level can be used. For Relics, it appears you can use them without the need for a card, I was able to setup a scenario and try to use the item by touching it and confirming its use strictly without using the card.

I could see down the road that you could be given the option to download new Golem, Knights, Relic, whatever via IAP but in the case of Golems, from what I could tell you would need a Golem model.

Nojh wrote:

My guess is that future proofing will come by adjustment to the points costs and powers associated with a particular Golem. These updates would happen via App updates. Basically once you purchase a Golem, you won't need to buy it over again unless you want to have multiple copies to play with.

Nojh wrote:
Gameplay

Not that I am aware of. It has been talked about (getting this 3rd hand) that they can introduce special missions and events within a scenario that could have various triggers (stepping on a square). Not clear if the other players 'know' about those kind of events or not as they happen. I would think they would know, especially if you are sharing a phone/tablet.

Nojh wrote:

Not sure. The clearest info on that any future efforts can be found here:

http://golemarcana.com/the-future/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nojh wrote:

Devices

Monetization

Gameplay

1) No connectivity needed to play. Results will be uploaded to HBS next time the device is connected to the 'net, but you can play offline just fine. In fact, all of gencon was run without the devices connected to the internet.
2) Two stylus TDIs are supported on a single device now. Soon, multiple devices will be able to run a single game (so you and a friend can both use your own devices in a match, for example).
3) You do not have to purchase the golem figures in app. There will be some Knights and Ancient Ones available for purchase at some point. 99 cents was the price point I've seen discussed. These are optional as the app comes with a set of AOs and Knights.
4) New figs will be released and you can buy them if you want. But they are brand new figs, not revamped/updated existing figs. Necessary balances to current figs can be done in-app, which should mean what you buy will be good forever.
5) Yes to secret info! It was done at gencon. The app told the player to pick up the tablet so only he could see it and then hit continue. The info was revealed to that player only!
6) Not yet. I've not heard any plans on if this will be done or not, but it seems like it should be simple enough. However HBS has a long list of things they want to do and I'd imagine this won't be a top priority.

Great questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another comment on point #2:

2) You don't actually have to touch the phone or tablet while playing. While this may not be as useful for the phones, I prop my tablet up next to the table so both players can see it at the same time. Until I get a second stylus the only thing that passes back and forth is the stylus. The tablet (I use an iPad3) is never touched the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fletcher C.
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Between all of you, you answered my questions. Thank you very much. I'll be keeping an eye on this game I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI...you can download the app from the app store for free, you don't need the game. It'll give you a look at the current scenarios, army builder, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo D
msg tools

I've successfully tested 2 different tdi being run by one tablet. Both an Android and later an iOS device running the app. Havent had the opportunity(sold out locally!) to try more...

Also through experimentation on Android, it seems that if you want foolproof multi stylus operation do NOT even touch the native Android Bluetooth settings. Leave it all to the Golem Arcana app. 60% of the time ,works every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn G
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
hair10 wrote:
Nojh wrote:

6) Not yet. I've not heard any plans on if this will be done or not, but it seems like it should be simple enough. However HBS has a long list of things they want to do and I'd imagine this won't be a top priority.

Great questions!

One of the things on the website about the future of the game is this:

"Every move of every Golem Arcana game is recorded and uploaded to our HBS servers so that our analytic queries can dig through the data looking for overpowered and underpowered Golems, Knights, Ancient Ones, Relics, as individual units and most importantly in combinations with other units. This is a trick we learned from our buddies at Bungie who have recorded, uploaded, and analyzed every game of Halo ever played."

So it looks like HBS is recording all the games, whether or not this will translate into reviewable games by the players does still remain to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generating data points or log files that are uploaded is a vastly different thing than recording an entire match for viewing later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lester
United States
flag msg tools
I had the opportunity to sit and chat with some HBS people at Gencon and one if the things we talked about was replays of games. They said it's something they definately want to do, but it's going to come after more important things they want to do such as the support for more players, custom map/scenario builder, and further optimizations/bug fixes, as well getting the remaining product out. They also said they'd like to eventually get the actions and items in the game fully animated. The idea is you could play an match, then choose to watch your match play out as a replay in a fully animated movie. They also were quick to add however that they don't really like the idea of adding animations to the app during play as they want to keep players focused on the board and thinking about playing the game, rather than have players making moves, then turning to watch what they just did play out on the screen before moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.