BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Tip! Trick when unpacking a new boardgame... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
I'll bet I'm not the only one that didn't notice this... but tonight I realized that all this time I've been unpacking my brand new board games incorrectly.

I noticed recently that while my games come in boxes with nice little plastic inserts that hold all the pieces in place so they don't fly around inside the box - it doesn't seem to stop the bits from flying around the box!? When the game arrives, there's that stack of cardboard ontop that you have to punch all the coins and cards, etc. out of. After punching all that stuff out, the plastic insert sits too low in the box - say 1/2 inch. This is enough space for the stuff inside to rattle around the box. Alhambra is a good case in point. Everything has its place in the box. Close it up, give it a shake and the bits are everywhere inside.

NOW HERE'S THE EASY SOLUTION...

If you take the leftover cardboard that you punch the cards and coins out of, and stick it in the bottom of the box and place the plastic insert ontop...

voila. Perfect storage box.

Game makers should add a little note in the box or a message written on the leftover part of the cardboard suggesting this would have really helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea.

Unfortunately it doesn't help for those games (such as the first edition of Goa, I think) where the top of the insert is 'indented' slightly. Thus the frames are smaller than the box dimension so the insert would just sit over rather than on them. The board doesn't fit properly in that box anyway. I just bag or rubberband everything these days anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
True - there probably are some cases where it doesn't help.

But it worked perfectly for the game I just unpacked tonight (Domaine which is basically Lowenhertz 2). The middle of the plastic inserts often have trays that hang down right to the bottom so the plastic insert will still rest on the cardboard in the middle if the leftover cardboard doesn't quite make it to the edges of the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just bag or rubberband everything these days anyway.

I stopped using rubberbands for cards, and bag them instead. Over time, a rubberband can deteriorate, which can permanently mark the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point about the trays extending down.

EDIT: and a good point about rubber bands too, although the climate here is probably slightly friendlier on rubber than other places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
I stopped using rubberbands for cards, and bag them instead. Over time, a rubberband can deteriorate, which can permanently mark the cards.

If I need to band or bag cards, I tend instead to make a box for them. It's pretty easy, and gets easier with practice.

http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/tuckbox.cgi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
q]I stopped using rubberbands for cards, and bag them instead. Over time, a rubberband can deteriorate, which can permanently mark the cards.[/q]

Hair bands are about $.05 each, last forever and do not leave that sticky rubber-band mess. Tuckboxes are nice too but use up a LOT of ink if done right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind using the ink, paper, tape and time to make them I have made and posted tuckboxes with graphics for cards and blind-draw bits for many of my games and over time (as they take a while to create) I will finish them for all my games.

Go look at my game collection. The comments indicate which are done and which are pending.

Unfortunately, I cannot make tuckboxes for games I do not have physical access to. It's just too hard.

-Helen
hholzgrafe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This trick is an absolute must with Hacienda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
So, this trick just worked great with Elasund but I did hit the problem mentioned earlier where the width of the cardboard leftovers wasn't quite big enough for the edges of the plastic insert to sit ontop properly. In this case, the plastic insert rested at an uncomfortable angle.

Easy solution: there were 4 cardboard leftovers, each one *almost* big enough for the box, so I rested 2 on the bottom loose and the other 2 I glued together (offset slightly) so combined they filled the box.

Now when I put everything back in its place in the box and cover it up, I can shake the daylights out of it with nothing flying around and getting mixed up inside the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Schulz
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I unpack a game that has cards, I buy a whole bunch of little craft-type ziplock bags, and I store each card individually in it's own ziplock bag, just to make sure the cards won't stick to each other. It takes a while to set up games that have more than 10 cards (like Bohnanza), but it's worth it to keep everything in mint condition.

(Please don't think I was being serious...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Runebound 2nd edition and it came with a large piece of cardboard to prop up the plastic tray in the box. I find that it works great and am actually quite glad that FFG threw it in there, they just need to do it with their other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
This trick is an absolute must with Hacienda.

Hacienda was the first game I tried this trick with... it's great. I'm beginning to regret having recycled all those cardboard counter-frames from other games now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
I really needed it with Attika btw too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.