GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,108 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Colt Express» Forums » General

Subject: Cool train and cool game, but what's the set up time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks a cool fillerish game with a fantastic looking centre piece to lure both the casual and hardcore gamer in. Throw in the possibility of a whole pile of cowboy-based table talk and it's looking like a must buy.

Question is: Once assembled are the carriages stored that way or do we have a Hey, That's My Fish! scenario where the set up takes longer than the game itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering about that myself. Looks like it fills a lot of my criteria for games. Hopefully the box is tall enough for the trains to be stored assembled. Otherwise I guess there's always a small storage tote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be tempted to leave it set-up as a conversation piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Raimbault
France
Istres
flag msg tools
designer
Geremiah wrote:

Question is: Once assembled are the carriages stored that way or do we have a Hey, That's My Fish! scenario where the set up takes longer than the game itself?

Hey guys,
the set up of the game is not really long don't worry.
As you said previously the carriages can be placed already assembled into the box. You can fin below the different steps of the set up :
- each player chooses a deck, take one basic loot and put it into his character card.
- Place the engine followed by as many carriages as there are players into the game.
- Fill each carriage with loot tokens (in each carriage there are logo showing which type of loot have to be put in there).
- Place the meeples into the starting position and prepare the scenario deck (5 cards randomly).

That's it: it's approximately a 3 to 5 minutes set up for a 30 to 45 minutes of gaming.

As the author of the game, I don't know if I am really objective so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply. I'm glad the constructed carriages just fit right back in the box.

Looking forward to checking this out at Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Marc Toupin
Canada
Chateauguay
Quebec
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply! I am very happy to read that we can put the assembled carriages back into the box. That was my only concern with the game. Now I know it's a must buy for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flagadur wrote:

Hey guys,
the set up of the game is not really long don't worry.
As you said previously the carriages can be placed already assembled into the box. You can fin below the different steps of the set up :
- each player chooses a deck, take one basic loot and put it into his character card.
- Place the engine followed by as many carriages as there are players into the game.
- Fill each carriage with loot tokens (in each carriage there are logo showing which type of loot have to be put in there).
- Place the meeples into the starting position and prepare the scenario deck (5 cards randomly).

That's it: it's approximately a 3 to 5 minutes set up for a 30 to 45 minutes of gaming.

As the author of the game, I don't know if I am really objective so

I confirm. Building the train can take some time, especially if you let your kids doing it But you only need to do it once.

Once the train is built you can store it in the box. Setup time for the following games is only a couple of minutes.

Great game! Lots of fun with kids & grown-up. Nice change from Bang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Off course, if you leave the game at your friends place because they want to play another round, and he will bring it to your place next week, you do run the risk that he thinks it doesn't fit and takes the trains apart again surprise

Now I have glued them together in a few essential spots (also because they feel more solid then)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will note, it's a bit of a tight fit as the cards need to take up as much space as 1 part of the train, but it does fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really easy to fit if you take the interior divisions of the insert out... which of course we'll all have to do to fit the stagecoach in once it's released!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.