GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Uh-oh… I like this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been a Star Wars fan for years. When this game came out, I intentionally avoided it because I was afraid I would love it and dump a ton of money into it. I was able to avoid it for a pretty long time. Then a friend came over…

He owns the game and some expansions and I tried it out. I love it. Like, a lot.

So, what is the most cost effective way to get into this game without dumping a bunch of money experimenting? What forums or sites are good for ship discussions and strategies or play styles? How should I get good at this game? Are leagues typically available at my FLGS, and if so, should I be intimidated?

This game is so interesting and seems to have a ton of replay value and I am really looking forward to exploring its possibilities.

I knew I should have just gotten the game years ago…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally bought two auctions here on BGG at around 50-60% off full retail. I had some friends/family though that bought my extra off me for cost so I didn't end up with 5 base sets.

However I strangely haven't seen any auctions on here for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I followed this advice myself (I'm $400-600 deep now), but I would recommend finding a local community and asking to try out as many ships as possible = try before you by. You can save a lot of money by figuring out your preferred play style and which ships you intuitively "get." Once you've figured out a permanent squad you want to play over and over, you can just buy those models.

I think lots of the folks here at BGG either buy and then figure out what they want to play later and/or facilitate games between them and their group. That is definitely NOT the cheapest way to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wayne

As much as I don't want to, I might be selling my stuff off as I need to set aside some money for a few unexpected expenses, so maybe we can work something out there. I have a pretty large collection of ships if you are interested, send me a GM.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8PyTo6NyXA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
So I have been a Star Wars fan for years. When this game came out, I intentionally avoided it because I was afraid I would love it and dump a ton of money into it. I was able to avoid it for a pretty long time. Then a friend came over…

He owns the game and some expansions and I tried it out. I love it. Like, a lot.

So, what is the most cost effective way to get into this game without dumping a bunch of money experimenting? What forums or sites are good for ship discussions and strategies or play styles? How should I get good at this game? Are leagues typically available at my FLGS, and if so, should I be intimidated?

This game is so interesting and seems to have a ton of replay value and I am really looking forward to exploring its possibilities.

I knew I should have just gotten the game years ago…

Well the most cost effective way, is to just start with two starter sets. Which will give you four TIE Fighters and two X-wings. That would be enough for the first few games.

Then either buy the TIE Fighter and X-wing expansion packs, or proxy their cards.

After this you just pick and choose from where to go from there.

If you want to play casually you might have to keep your purchases 'balanced' (As in, if you buy an Imperial ship, you might want to buy a rebel ship too/next) to keep the options open for both sides.

If you want to play competitive, you will probably want to pick a side and focus your purchases on that.

I don't play competitively myself, so I'll let someone else talk about that side of the game. But if you want to play casually, there are several buying guides on here, or feel free to just send me a PM. I don't own everything by any means, but I'm willing to help.

Welcome to the X-Wing community! I have to say it's one of the most pleasant communities I have found online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the repaints of existing models into different factions, I would say try not to "get it all" and instead get what you want to play. If you're familiar with other mini games, like say Warhammer 40K, you would focus on one army and beef it up to make it your go-to playable army. You would almost never have a second army at such a high playable level. While not as extreme, X-Wing is starting to fall into that category. Get a few ships but then zero in on the squad you really want to play and get that.

Oh, and get a Millennium Falcon. Everybody need a Millennium Falcon.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Before you buy into this game, you may want to be aware of this game first.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
fishminer wrote:
Before you buy into this game, you may want to be aware of this game first.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979

I know! Maybe I should just jump on that one while it is just starting, huh?

Or I could sell my car and just rock both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Horn
United States
California
flag msg tools
You won't need a car if you own both games, everyone will be coming over to your place to play anyway whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think you're going to be knee deep, find an eBay auction and look for one with however many ships you can afford. Contrast that to MIniature Market prices to see if you're getting a deal on it.

If you'd like to start out with two competitive lists, I'd recommend:

2x Starter
Millenium Falcon
X-Wing expansion
Tie Fighter expansion
Tie interceptor expansion/Tie Phantom

With this purchase you can fly a few competitive lists with very different playstyles:

Han Solo + 2x Rookie X-wings
3 elite x-wings (Biggs/Luke/Wedge usually)
Soontir Fel/Turr Phenir/Whisper/Echo + mini swarm (Howlrunner + 3 or 4 academy pilots)

If you're like any of us around here, you'll end up with at least 1 of everything anyway. And you can start planning around the above. Or you can just go all in and get one of everything on Miniature Market (or your FLGS) and be done with it until you want to start flying crazy lists like 4 hawks. You don't even need the huge ships unless you want those 8 cards you can use in tournament play, or want to play epic format.

Welcome to the addiction!

I have at least 2 of everything, but I collect it up slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think this is my step by step plan:

1. Buy another starter set
2. Buy the X-Wing expansion and the TIE Fighter expansion
3. Buy the Falcon for obvious reasons
4. Buy Slave I for obvious reasons
5. At this point I will have more experience and may have a better idea of my play style and I can pick and choose from here on in.

It also seems like a pretty safe idea to buy slowly and not get too ahead of myself.

I will probably look into a League at my FLGS as well.

I'd like to thank all of you for the help. This is my first time getting into a game like this and I am very excited. The community seems great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
OK, I think this is my step by step plan:

1. Buy another starter set
2. Buy the X-Wing expansion and the TIE Fighter expansion
3. Buy the Falcon for obvious reasons
4. Buy Slave I for obvious reasons
5. At this point I will have more experience and may have a better idea of my play style and I can pick and choose from here on in.

It also seems like a pretty safe idea to buy slowly and not get too ahead of myself.

I will probably look into a League at my FLGS as well.

I'd like to thank all of you for the help. This is my first time getting into a game like this and I am very excited. The community seems great.

I think that's a great start. As you get a feel for what you like you can expand from there as you are able. For example, a buddy in my league really likes the A-Wing and can fly it great, whereas I like the B-Wing, and he says I fly it well. In good spirits we go back and forth ribbing each other on the pros and cons of each ship.

I can't really say too much though, as I've ended up with two of almost everything. I tried to stay to only one large ship, but last week I bought my second Slave I lol.

Welcome to a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have an off-topic question, but I figured I'd ask you guys.

In the Advanced Rules on page 18, it says that once players agree on a point total for their armies they, "secretly and simultaneously build their squads". But, the core game only comes with one copy of the upgrade card "Determination". Both Luke and two of the TIE Fighters can use that type of upgrade. Is the game limited to the components or could other copies of Determination be used? How should I address this in my games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In tournament you are limited to components. In casual do whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Tie Fighter expansion in shrink which I will sell for $10 shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:

So how do they determine who gets first dibs on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
Danath wrote:

The owner gets first dibs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
Danath wrote:

In tournaments everyone brings their own stuff. Determination also comes with the TIE fighter expansion, so it's not too hard to get more than one copy. You were planning on buying a second starter set, plus the x-wing and tie fighter expansions, right? Several people have also done that, so it's not too hard to get multiple copies of the card.

It's not a unique upgrade so multiple versions of it can be on the table on different ships at once. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But determination isn't a great card btw. Eight out of 33 cards are pilot critical. Statistically a crit is rolled naturally once every 2-3 attacks. The ships we are talking about have 3 hull. So it's like a 1 in 10 chance of catching the right crit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
With all the repaints of existing models into different factions, I would say try not to "get it all"
-shnar

I'm sorry...those look like English words but I really can't comprehend the meaning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
shnar wrote:
With all the repaints of existing models into different factions, I would say try not to "get it all"
-shnar

I'm sorry...those look like English words but I really can't comprehend the meaning...

I'm alluding to the new Scum & Villainy faction. The first box set is just a repaint of Y-Wings and Z95 Headhunters. Up to Wave 4, I was very much a "Gotta get 'em all!" with X-Wing. Every expansion, enough to field a squad of that type of ship, a "complete" collection. Now that we're seeing a lot of repaints (both in the "Aces" packs and in the new S&V faction), I'm feeling less and less inclined to having a "complete" collection. Instead, I'll probably just get one of each new ship, play a few times and then decide if my fleet of choice needs to be changed to new ships or not (most likely not, it's hard to beat Han Solo).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
CraigH wrote:
shnar wrote:
-shnar

I'm alluding to the new Scum & Villainy faction...

-shnar

Yeah...I was just being a goof - your advice makes sense !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
shnar wrote:
CraigH wrote:
shnar wrote:
-shnar

I'm alluding to the new Scum & Villainy faction...

-shnar

Yeah...I was just being a goof - your advice makes sense !

I think Craig was poking fun by saying we can't comprehend not buying them all! I certainly agree with that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
But determination isn't a great card btw. Eight out of 33 cards are pilot critical. Statistically a crit is rolled naturally once every 2-3 attacks. The ships we are talking about have 3 hull. So it's like a 1 in 10 chance of catching the right crit.

Not to say that determination is a good card, but don't forget that disproportionately more crits actually go through due to the "cancel ordinary hits first" rule. Especially relevant to high agility ships like the TIE,since they're more likely to be cancelling hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.