1 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 4 yanks and 1 brit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susie Rogers
United States
flag msg tools
Ever since I played this game at a miniature convention in Tokyo, I have adored this game. The simplicity or the rules and the varying strategies intrigue me more than most games. I love introducing it to new people, because everyone almost always loves it. Last night was no exception.

Living in Japan is a unique experience, especially since foreigners (westerners) seem to bond together for no other reason than they are all western. Recently, in my town, about 7 new foreigners moved in. We have been trying to get to know each other and last night, we decided to play board games as a group to help build a friendship. Ticket to Ride is a good introductory game and usually people don't get mad over it. I am ashamed to say, this game had one tantrum.

The game consisted of four Americans and one Welshman (Welshwoman?). Hannah, from Wales, was at a big disadvantage since we were using the USA map and had no idea of American geography. I had a big advantage because I have played this game many many times and know the strategy. The other three players were Chris (my husband and a veteran of the game), Judy (a newbie to Euro games), and Jason (a newbie to TTR but not Euro games).

The game started off with a bang. There were a few questions but most people picked it up real quickly. Hannah played quickly and took tracks as soon as she had trains for them. Jason obviously had the longer routes that went on the border of the map and was trying to pretend that he didn't. Chris was quietly playing cards and taking way too long to strategize his moves (Im impatient). Judy was a mystery until the very end of the game. I got lucky and my first three tickets were on the same path.

I quickly finished my tickets and drew a fourth. Chris mocked me, saying I would never finish my fourth. I completed that within two turns (yay Denver to El Paso route!). So I weighed my position and chose a fifth ticket. Everyone was surprised and said I would never make it. It was a risky ticket; Winnipeg to Houston, but I was confident in my abilities.

I had all the cards ready to play. I had two more routes to claim when my husband did the despicable. He ended the game. I was unable to finish my ticket because he finished it too quickly. I am ashamed to say, that me, veteran TTR upset. Threw a little tantrum, I did. I did, however, get over it. The results were surprising though.

The results were:
Chris = 117 He had the longest path and some of the more profitable routes
Judy = 102 She would have one but she misplayed trains that would have gotten her longest track. The quiet ones, they always win.
Jason = 87 He didn't complete one of his tickets. He thought you could put them back and that kinda screwed him over.
Susie/me = 72 I missed a 11 point ticket and all my routes were 2 and 3 car routes. You really can't win that way, even with 5 completed tickets...
Hannah = 62 Poor Hannah. She didn't complete a ticket and had problems understanding strategy to the game. She seemed to have fun though.

It was a good game. Everyone had lots of fun, despite my childish tantrum (I did apologize for over reacting). I know Jason is already champing at the bit to play the game again. I think we have a keeper!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.