GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » GeekBay

Subject: Post Gen Con Auction ~US Only ENDS TODAY (8/26) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Returned from Gen Con with way too many new games...so let's auction a few New ones off!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/177782/post-gen-con-au...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Post Gen Con Auction ~US Only
Ahhh, the annual post-Gen Con glut of preying upon the impatient auctions has begun. Let the gouging commence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Quintious wrote:
Ahhh, the annual post-Gen Con glut of preying upon the impatient auctions has begun. Let the gouging commence.

Agree, it's quite transparent. But if someone's willing to pay, that's capitalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Quintious wrote:

Agree, it's quite transparent. But if someone's willing to pay, that's capitalism.

Yeah, I'm pro-capitalism. But I'd rather not have my intelligence insulted with a departure from reality. I'd like to see some truth in advertising. I'd rather have someone not claim they simply "bought too many games" and just be straight with us - "I went to Gen Con, bought a bunch of stuff I have no interest in but which I knew other people wanted, prevented someone else attending who wanted a copy from getting it, and now I'm hoping to find some sucker who'll give me 2-4 times what I paid for it for the privilege of getting it maybe a week or 2 sooner than a pre-order on CSI and to help subsidize my trip to Indiana".

That I could at least respect for treating us like adults . But every year, it seems 100 people found themselves in a purchasing frenzy that was out of their control and somehow "accidentally" bought too much stuff; and wouldn't you know it, all that "extra" stuff that they mistakenly bought always just so happens to be the biggest hyped, hottest titles with the shortest supply at the convention itself - nobody ever seems to accidentally buy too many copies of Exile Sun or Hey, That's My Fish! at these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Just want to point out that those are reserve prices not minumum bids.

Most are just over MSRP ($5-$10) which was what I and everyone else at gen con just paid.

Remember the BIN price includes free shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jctrevor wrote:
Just want to point out that those are reserve prices not minumum bids.

Most are just over MSRP ($5-$10) which was what I and everyone else at gen con just paid.

Remember the BIN price includes free shipping!

I would hope so, given the amount of money you're hoping people will give you. Let's take a look, shall we?

-Abyss: You want $100. CSI will give me a copy for $41. A markup of a whopping 144%
-Black Fleet: A veritable bargain (comparatively speaking to other items in the auction) for $95. Vs. the $47.49 CSI will charge. Only 100% here
-Doomtown: I could get it brand new in shrink for $26.49 - or I could buy your copy that you used once, decided you didn't like, and now want me to give you 40 bucks for. 51% markup...if we're willing to ignore that it's used.
-Pagoda: $19.99 on CSI. $60 from you 200% markup
-Firefly Blue Sun: I could either pay $26.49 at CSI or $80 here. 202% up-pricing
-Lords of Xidit: CSI - $41. This auction: $100. 144% markup
-Sheriff of Nottingham: An old game in a new box. Available for $24 on CSI or directly from the publisher for $34. Apparently yours is worth $60. Let's go with the publisher on this one. That drives the markup rate on this item all the way down to...76%.

For those playing in the home game, I can buy Abyss, Sheriff, Firefly, and Pagoda for the cost of Abyss. Then I could buy Xidit, Doomtown and Black Fleet for the cost of Black Fleet - ultimately getting 7 games for the price of 2.

I know it seems like I'm picking on you here - and I guess, in some capacity, I might kind of be. I'm just sick and tired of being subjected to vultures, scavengers, and seeing the board game equivalent to showing up after an earthquake with a cooler full of bottled water and charging $30 for 12 oz. of liquid that normally runs 99 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quintious wrote:
I know it seems like I'm picking on you here - and I guess, in some capacity, I might kind of be. I'm just sick and tired of being subjected to vultures, scavengers, and seeing the board game equivalent to showing up after an earthquake with a cooler full of bottled water and charging $30 for 12 oz. of liquid that normally runs 99 cents.

Wow...why not just not bid and move on.
Or avoid the auction section for the week or so after GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Segal
msg tools
JesseMax wrote:
Quintious wrote:

Wow...why not just not bid and move on.
Or avoid the auction section for the week or so after GenCon.

Seriously.

Also, if you're paying 99¢ for a bottle of water you're doing it wrong. That shit costs like $4 for a pack of 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb

This isn't the place for this coversation. Please move your post to the proper forum. And allow those who wish to bid to do so without the herassment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.