GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Large Figure Movement, same as Descent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if that Scout Trooper and Walker move like large creatures in Descent (i.e. shrink to one space to move, then expand once movement done)? Anyone get a peak at those rules while at GenCon?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Just wondering if that Scout Trooper and Walker move like large creatures in Descent (i.e. shrink to one space to move, then expand once movement done)? Anyone get a peak at those rules while at GenCon?

-shnar

Nope; it's now different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the Team Covenant video (really the only source for reliable info right now)...it looks like the expand/contract shenanigans are no longer part of large figure movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lhU0GYOKk#t=761

As that 2-square base E-Web moves up 2 spaces, it looks like a simple square for square move. If it was Descent, it could have gotten one more square by shrinking and expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the expand/contract style movement (it solves a lot more problems than it introduces, and one minor house rule fixes the one problem it introduces), so was wondering if it was carrying forward or if we were going back to Doom/Descent1stEd days.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this house rule? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may have been made official with a FAQ, but we've house ruled that wherever you 'stop' mid turn, that square is the one you 'start' from when continuing movement. So you don't get the 'free' spaces from interrupting movement.

You do get the potential to expand further than you moved at the end of the turn, but I'm okay with that. Most of the large creatures have lower speed that somewhat compensates for that (i.e. the dragon *should* be able to move that far). I imagine the AT-ST will be similar. Squares work great for human sized units, but a large AT-ST wouldn't move as precise and so a little flubbing here and there just works IMHO.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Good stuff, D2E big monster movement was so exploitable and stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

The opposite was true about 1st Ed's movement as well. To think a tree would stop a spider from moving down a grassy path...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I wish they moulded 2 squares between the AT-ST (or whatever it's called) legs so figures could share spaces with it. Seems a bit silly I can't run under it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I wish they moulded 2 squares between the AT-ST (or whatever it's called) legs so figures could share spaces with it. Seems a bit silly I can't run under it.

Ha! That would have been awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
ionas wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

The opposite was true about 1st Ed's movement as well. To think a tree would stop a spider from moving down a grassy path...

-shnar

Dont forget the 2x2 spider on a 1x1 tree having full shadowcloak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the large creature movement in Descent 2e fixed all the problems they encountered in 1e. If FFG is not using the same large creature movement rules, then lets hope they have contingencies for terrain issues. It would be really funny to watch that giant chicken walker reduced to a crawl due to terrain, while the single square heroes run circles around it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

That sounds like a great house rule. Characters did it all the time in the movies.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.