GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Nexus Op or Kemet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title pretty much says it all. I need a fast multiplayer tactical war game, and after some research I have narrowed down to these two babies. I can't justify getting them both since they pretty much fill the same niche my collection lacks of.

I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I own both of these games, really like them both, only played them as 2 players so far though, if I could only keep one, I think as a 2 player game nexus ops just edges it, I really like the secret mission side of it. And I do prefer rolling the dice in nexus. But that's just me.
Hope this helps a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it definitely does. Thanks a lot Steram for making me realise I missed out an important criteria in the OP. The main reason I'm considering these games is for 3 or 4 players so I'm wondering as a multiplayer game which is better. Still I really appreciate your kind reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between those two I would totally pick "both"!

But, if you must pick one...

Nexus Ops* is faster. It feels a lot like an RTS translated to a boardgame (in fact, it feels more like Starcraft than the Starcraft board game does!). The unit variety is nice, and the system really encourages aggressive play.

Kemet doesn't have unit variety, but it has an interesting action management system and lots of special abilities to acquire during the game. It requires a bit more "economic" management as actions and power points are pretty limited. It also rewards aggressive play, but it is also possible to play a more defensive game and still do well.

That's really tough. I might suggest that if you want the game to look a bit more like a more normal wargame, to go with Nexus Ops, but they are both great games and I don't think you will go wrong with either of them.

* Warning: I have only played the AH version of Nexus Ops. I don't know if FFG changed anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Dude... Nexus Ops +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is longer and id say has more depth but i wouldn't play with less than 4 personally. Nexus is shorter but works great from 2-4.

They are both great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
In Nexus ops your board position is more important than in Kemet. You have to work your way to your (possibly secret) goals and your strategy revolves around where you want to control and what troops you will buy to do this.

In Kemet the board position is very fluid. You need to try to take advantage of and guard against attacks from everywhere. Someone may strike somewhere you thought was safe and then fade away immediately. This may sound chaotic but actually what your enemies can do is restricted just not in the way you would expect in a conventional 'dudes on a map' game. It also has the advantage that you can probably affect the leader no matter how distant they are unlike in Nexus Ops where if the person who is about to win is not near your armies there is no much you can do.

Nexus Ops feels more like a streamlined conventional strategy game (eg: Risk). Kemet feels like an interesting twist on such a game that has resulted in something quite different. I agree with the people who have said you can easily have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.