GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Starving out Leningrad - possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the situation:

If I have this, right the unit in Leningrad is out of supply and will be removed unless relieved.

1. No valid supply path: The unit is not able to trace a valid supply path to either a friendly map edge or a friendly supplied city (Kalinin is Axis controlled and blocked by EZOCs).

Leningrad itself is not supplied, because it doesn't have an overland supply path. The OSP through L. Ladoga and across L. Onega (see Rules example to 6.1) is blocked by the EZOC of the German 18th Army. The presence of the Soviet Northwest Army doesn't help (friendly units negate EZOCs for supply purposes) because it is itself surrounded by EZOCs. In fact, the Soviet Northwest Army is out of supply (but has no marker in the image).

2. No Alternate supply source:
Even though the unit in Leningrad is in a coastal hex, the Baltic Sea only provides alternate supply, if Leningrad is Russian controlled (yes) AND supplied (no). The adjacent NW army itself is OOS, so can't serve as a supply source.

This means that the Leningrad garrison will be placed in the surrendered box during the Removal Phase, and will score the Axis +1 VP (since fortress units are two-step units even before '44).

Can someone confirm my reading? I've been bashing my head and precious units against the fortress in Leningrad without ever cracking it, so the idea of starving them out is exciting. TIA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all correct.

The city will fall soon unless Stalin send in some kind of rescue force! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, thanks for the quick response. Glad I got that right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Leningrad garrison will go to the surrendered box. That's for sure. Leningrad itself will no longer be friendly to the Soviets due to being OOS. Will control of the city automatically fall to the Axis without the need to moved an Axis unit through the city hex? I'd say yes, but it's relevant to timing prior to a sudden death VP count...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
So the Leningrad garrison will go to the surrendered box. That's for sure. Leningrad itself will no longer be friendly to the Soviets due to being OOS. Will control of the city automatically fall to the Axis without the need to moved an Axis unit through the city hex? I'd say yes, but it's relevant to timing prior to a sudden death VP count...

The Axis still have to get into the city hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been bashing my head and precious units against the fortress in Leningrad without ever cracking it, so the idea of starving them out is exciting.

I just read a book about this - you are disturbing, sir - even though I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes!

Thank goodness it's just cardboard...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.