Subject: What are some good strategies for CARC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just like the title says...What are some good strategies for CARC the Castle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Let the Wookie win!

1) Bonus wall tiles are key. Grab as many as you can, so get an early large score to get you near them, then concentrate on smaller scores that will allow you to pick them up along the way.

2) Markets (or whatever they're called) are also big point generators, especially if you get the related bonus wall tiles. Try to have one or two good market scores.

3) There's not really much point in fighting for control of a feature in this game, UNLESS your opponent is working on something so huge that you need to deny then the point advantage.

That's about it. Not too much else going on in this game (I don't mean that in a bad way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that managing your meeples is key. Don't get stuck mid- to end-game with no playable meeples and a handful of uncompleted features.

Personally, I don't like to throw more than one meeple down in the markets. I will occassionally play a second one later in the game, especially if it means nullifying my opponent's marketplaces.

I tend to play one meeple on a house early and try to build it up slowly for the largest keep. Other than that, I go for towers (double the points). If you draw a tile with a house piece on it that doesn't fit with your keep, try to play it in a corner so that it terminates, place a meeple on it, retrieve your meeple, and take one point.

Roads with wells are great if you keep them short. Especially in the alcoves of the game board, you can get a quick turnaround on your meeple placement there. Just run them into a wall when you want to finish them. Avoid branching your roads, you want points, not a freeway. When I draw tiles with non-terminating branches on them, it's pretty much a guarantee that it's going on a road with my opponent's meeple. Let them spend turns trying to cap that thing off.

Other than that, for me, it's all about the towers. Quick turnover is key. Don't be afraid to finish a one or two tile tower, grab your 2-4 points, and take back your meeple right away. Long-term plans rarely finish the way you want, and you can easily spend the late game hoping for that "perfect" tile to complete your massive tower/house complex.

The "place a tile/complete a small feature/retrieve your meeple" strategy also gives you the best odds at grabbing the wall tiles, which, if you get the majority of them, can easily swing the game 20 points in your favor at game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
And if you can't get the largest house bonus, try to carve large vacant areas into multiple smaller ones to deny your opponent a large amount of points for having the largest house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
The beauty of this great game, which is shown by the insightful strategy comments, is that you have to pay close attention to (a) what scores you points and wall tiles and (b) what scores your opponent points and wall tiles.

You can't turtle in this game. You're paying close attention to what is going on inside the castle walls and know exactly what wall tiles you have and what your opponent has.

So there is both offense and defense in this game. Which is why it is always so fun.

And you're always trying to make that one huge score if you can (whether using a wall tile like the +4 to markets) or completing a large tower or completing the largest house to get you the endgame Keep points.

So many choices. So much to do. So few tiles. And an active opponent trying to frustrate you. At every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my strategy guide for the game. Enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/site/daggerheartscrib/home/carcasso...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.