GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Which mode are you most excited for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: What aspect of Imperial Assault are you most excited to play?
Even though we don't know much about skirmish mode, some people are really excited for it while others are more interested in the Descent-style story mode. Which mode are you most looking forward to?
What aspect of Star Wars: Imperial Assault are you most excited to play?
Story/campaign mode. Not really interested in skirmish mode.
Story/campaign mode. But I'm curious about skirmish mode, too.
I'm equally excited about story/campaign mode and skirmish mode.
Skirmish mode. But I'm curious about skirmish mode, too.
Skirmish mode. Not really interested in story/campaign mode.
      271 answers
Poll created by Budgernaut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first poll and, of course, there is a typo. Option 4 should read: 'Skirmish mode. But I'm curious about the story/campaign mode, too."
Hopefully you all saw the pattern of the answers and figured it out on your own. After all, your a board game geek! You're smarter than the average ... not ... board game geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, skirmish will only interest me if FFG has some cool prize support. Just out of the box, I find skirmishes to be boring (a la Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth), but if there's awesome swag then I'll probably participate. Hell, I learned to love X-Wing pretty fast, and that's basically a skirmish game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Carry On!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on a great first poll! I gotta figure out how to do that.

And ya, I'm stoked for the skirmish mode... but a developing and expandable campaign set after the battle above Yavin 4; endless possibilities. I'm sure I'll buy every expansion... can't freak'n wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do simply hope that it won't be to LCG'ish - e.g. not too many small packs to buy every month. If that's the case I am out before it begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Story mode. My wife will get into it. She is a huge Star Wars fan too, but does not enjoy X-Wing (despite my best efforts). Something with a story behind it she will get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
Definitely story mode. There have been skirmish-like Star Wars mini games before, but I don't recall any Star Wars dungeon crawlers like HeroQuest or Descent. Skirmish could still be fun, but it would be a nice bonus, rather than a reason to purchase. If it was just another skirmish game with a Star Wars skin, then I wouldn't even consider buying it.

Since it will have an emphasis on telling a story, I'm MUCH more interested. I watched the demo video, and it appeared there were quite a few dialogue passages in the quest booklet to be read during the game, and I love that sorta thing (especially in a Star Wars setting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Caldas
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 6) Possible future co-op mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm equally excited about both.

I tend to find Overlord vs. Group style games kind of bland when the "group" is one player playing multiple characters. You lose the sense of cooperation and identity, such as it is in these games, with your character, so a lot of the rules asymmetry inherent in one vs. many games starts to feel arbitrary -- you're both pushing multiple minis around, but one guys' are chump mooks and die constantly. So it's exciting that there's another mode more explicitly designed to support adversarial two-player play in a more symmetrical fashion.

On the other hand, I have a lot of two-player games, several of which are also Star Wars themed, compared to the number of one vs. many games we have that hit the table, so the Skirmish mode might face more competition for table time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
I'm equally excited about both.

I tend to find Overlord vs. Group style games kind of bland when the "group" is one player playing multiple characters. You lose the sense of cooperation and identity, such as it is in these games, with your character, so a lot of the rules asymmetry inherent in one vs. many games starts to feel arbitrary -- you're both pushing multiple minis around, but one guys' are chump mooks and die constantly. So it's exciting that there's another mode more explicitly designed to support adversarial two-player play in a more symmetrical fashion.

Well said, couldn't really put my finger on what it was I felt when playing these games 2p, but you summed it up nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here- wish this and Descent could have a solo variant like the D&D game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all you co-op fans, check out the Fantasy Flight Games in-flight report video that Team Covenant posted from GenCon 2014. Go to about 1:19:13 and you'll be able to hear C. Petersen (CEO of FFG) state that the co-op Descent releases have done extremely well and they're definitely looking into that for Imperial Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnrlBSvzxuU&list=UUT0_zqao2b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.