GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Game groups and decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ezra Strong

Juneau
Alaska
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
Netrunner has been one of those games that looks really appealing but the cost of entry and keep up seems a little high. I've been looking again at getting it though, and I had a question about the gameplay.
A good chunk of my gameplay time comes from bringing games to group meeting sort of things. I provide the game, they provide the players. A:NR sounds like a chunk of the strategy for the game is the building of a deck to play with, and that this isn't part of the gameplay itself (not a card draft ala Nightfall or Thunderstone). Is that the case?
I'm not so inclined to want to a game that much of the strategy is tied up in other players monetary investments in the game. Is that the case with A:NR?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set has a huge amount of replayability. The preconstructed decks will give you enough for maaany games. After several games you will think "you know what? I will remove card X and add card Y". This is done in 5 minutes of deckbuilding. Then, slowly your friends will get the "I want to make a better deck" bug, and before they know it they will be addicted to the game.

This is the equivalent of a free fix for the first time when dealing with drugs
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rainshine wrote:
A:NR sounds like a chunk of the strategy for the game is the building of a deck to play with, and that this isn't part of the gameplay itself (not a card draft ala Nightfall or Thunderstone). Is that the case?


Correct.

The core set provides 7 preconstructed decks (but only enough cards to build two at once), so you can treat it as any other two player boardgame. However, without deckbuilding, you're missing a huge part of what makes Netrunner great. I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you plan to build your own decks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have a friend who loves the game, but he doesn't want to buy into it because he just doesn't have the time for it. On the flip side, of course i have everything. We found that with me bringing everything over to his place, and him taking 10min to net deck from netrunnerdb or similar websites using my cards, without me looking to see what he's making, we both have a blast. He scratches the itch, and i still get to have a challenging game because of simply not knowing what deck he is running. As the game owner in your group, i'd recommend you do that instead of building a custom deck for them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
I have a friend who loves the game, but he doesn't want to buy into it because he just doesn't have the time for it. On the flip side, of course i have everything. We found that with me bringing everything over to his place, and him taking 10min to net deck from netrunnerdb or similar websites using my cards, without me looking to see what he's making, we both have a blast. He scratches the itch, and i still get to have a challenging game because of simply not knowing what deck he is running. As the game owner in your group, i'd recommend you do that instead of building a custom deck for them.


this.

Lots of people would play netrunner this way.

But caveat empor!

I don't care if a friend walks off with a StimHack. But check their pockets for a SanSan or Desperado on the way out...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
I have a friend who loves the game, but he doesn't want to buy into it because he just doesn't have the time for it. On the flip side, of course i have everything. We found that with me bringing everything over to his place, and him taking 10min to net deck from netrunnerdb or similar websites using my cards, without me looking to see what he's making, we both have a blast.

That's a really good idea! I'm surprised I haven't thought of that before.
henniss wrote:
The core set provides 7 preconstructed decks (but only enough cards to build two at once), so you can treat it as any other two player boardgame. However, without deckbuilding, you're missing a huge part of what makes Netrunner great. I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you plan to build your own decks.

I say that constructed play is on a different level than pre-constructed Netrunner. That doesn't necessarily make pre-con, core Netrunner "inferior", though. I mean, I suppose you could look at it that way, but it's still a great game, even without expansions...in the same way that Dominion (or [insert your favorite game here]) is a great game, even without expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
I have a friend who loves the game, but he doesn't want to buy into it because he just doesn't have the time for it. On the flip side, of course i have everything. We found that with me bringing everything over to his place, and him taking 10min to net deck from netrunnerdb or similar websites using my cards, without me looking to see what he's making, we both have a blast. He scratches the itch, and i still get to have a challenging game because of simply not knowing what deck he is running. As the game owner in your group, i'd recommend you do that instead of building a custom deck for them.


I do essentially the same thing with my sparring partner. I own all the cards and we are slowly making our way through the data packs, opening one every few weeks. However,we split the Runner and Corp cards and keep one side ourselves for deck building for a while, and then we switch. This gives us the full constructed deck experience each time we meet. We are halfway through Spin right now and will probably swap sides when we open the next pack.

I get the full card pool experience with OCTGN and when I take decks to my FLGS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hedberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Netrunner isn't like Magic. Most of the important decisions you make come during play, not during deck construction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin W.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is an exaggeration. Many important decisions come during play, but as more and more cards get added, deck building includes some very important decisions. I'd say building a strong deck and piloting it well are about equally important right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you bring 2-player games often to your group meetings? I find it weird that when people get together to play games, and a couple wants to break off to play their own thing. We're here to play together folks. But that's just me.

Rainshine wrote:
A:NR sounds like a chunk of the strategy for the game is the building of a deck to play with, and that this isn't part of the gameplay itself (not a card draft ala Nightfall or Thunderstone). Is that the case?


Half the fun for me is deck building, similar to playing Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, putting together cards or ships that play well with each other. The other half of the fun is the actual gameplay.

Rainshine wrote:
I'm not so inclined to want to a game that much of the strategy is tied up in other players monetary investments in the game. Is that the case with A:NR?


If you're the one bringing the game to these meetings, then I'd imagine they would be deck building based on what you own. And as other people pointed out. You can let your people know what you own, and they can deck build with that info on whatever deck building site.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davidhorm wrote:
Do you bring 2-player games often to your group meetings? I find it weird that when people get together to play games, and a couple wants to break off to play their own thing. We're here to play together folks. But that's just me.

I'm always running into this. I have a lot of two-player games, but we always have more than 2 players. What's worse is people always try to squeeze as many players into one game as possible. "Okay, we have 6 players! Which games support 6?!?" Why not 2 games with 3 players each? What's wrong with that? You know, some games that support 2-6 players are terrible with 6 players. But we're always going to play it with 6 players, because we always have a lot of people. Aaarrgghh. Just a pet peeve of mine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.