Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I left Tuesday night to get back to Forest City where I would meet up with my Dad and my friends Joe and John Knapper. We left Wednesday morning and picked up my friend Marcus in Mason City.

We got in Wednesday evening checked in and walked down the convention center so that the people that didn’t get their badges sent to them could pick theirs up at Will Call and then went to the mall food court where I had some decent Chick Filet and then it was back to the room to finalize our army decisions for the next day.

Thursday we went to the con to try and get generic tickets and find the Heroscape area. We finally found the Heroscape area in the miniature’s hall, but I couldn’t find generic ticket booths anywhere. Eventually I found a volunteer that told me they were not doing generics in separate kiosks this year, instead you got the pleasure of standing in line behind all the people that needed to sign up for 50 events and hadn’t looked any of them up yet. Joe and John braved the line to play in the general tourney, but I decided to hit up the dealer hall with my dad instead.

We waited at the back of the mob until the doors opened. When they did open we made a b-line for the WotC booth to check out the Heroscape stuff. When we got there we saw a mob of people raiding the shelves. I saw some Thaelank Tundra there, so my dad and I grabbed it and got in line when we realized what all these people were mobbing for. They had Castle sets and Wave 5 for sale. I was that close to getting it. We then got our hands on the promo Sir Hawthorne, and started talking to the Heroscape folks about all the cool stuff they had there. There was a massive castle setup with tundra roads forests and all sorts of other stuff. In the midst of this setup they also had the new wave 5 figures, so I was able to read all their stats and such. They also had under glass a Marvel Heroscape set which I am moderately interested in, but unbelievably enough they had wave six under glass too. There were no stats or anything, but it was sweet to see the sculpts, and even cooler than that they were showing off some cool new standard bearers that will come with custom dice and dice bags.

I got to find out all sorts of cool information from Craig and the rest of the Heroscape staff. I also got their autographs and stuff to use for prizes in my next tourneys. I also was able to find out that they would be having a little more Heroscape stuff for sale the next day, but it would be very limited.

My dad and I then wandered around the dealer hall for the rest of the day to demo games and find swag. I got a free set of dice, so that was cool. I got to learn Red Dragon Inn and had a blast with it. I also tried out the Tigris and Euphrates Card Game which was alright. I played a space themed rummy game called Infinity which was also alright.

We left the dealer hall shortly before 6 to go to a Heroscape win a wave tourney in the miniature’s hall. We found out that Joe ended up getting 2nd overall in the general specific tourney and had the best Utgar army there. John went 3-1 as well I believe.

I don’t really remember my games too well, but I was playing:

3x Romans
1x Marcus
1x Me Burq Sa
1x Krav Maga

I also know that I won a wave, WOO HOO!

We then left the con and grabbed some food at Jimmy John’s and went back to the room to prepare our armies for the next day and play some games. I think we got some Battleball and Formula De in that night.

The next morning we went to wait in line outside the dealer hall in hopes of snagging some Heroscape product. After pushing 3 kids out of the way and trampling a stroller we arrived at the booth and the mob was wrecking the place. There was a sign up that said one item per person, but people were just grabbing like crazy anyway. I got one of the castle sets with help from my new found force pull abilities. I was able to check out and was not turned back like all the crazies that had grabbed several things even though they were not supposed to. We were able to check out and still have enough time to make it to the minis hall and enter the main event two day championship tourney.

I played the same army that I had won a wave with the previous night. I don’t remember much about all of these games either, but at the end of the day Joe and I were both undefeated and battling each other on Forsaken Waters with him getting some crazy luck to wipe out my Krav and eventually he beat me. The top 8 made it to day two though, so I still advanced as well as Joe and John.

So Friday night we also played in a win a wave tourney where I was poised to win another wave when I was pitted against Buddy Lee’s frenzy army. My Krav Maga picked off his mother f’in snakes on the mother f’in road with little problems, but then his Aubriens went on a frenzy spree and it was impossible to beat him. Between his rolling and frenzying, it was completely imposiible to win.

After we left the con we grabbed some Fish n' Chips for Cladagh's Irish pub and went back to the hotel. I definitely recommend Cladagh's. The only problem is that if you have children with you like we did, you can't eat at the establishment and instead are forced to carryout.

We weren't allowed to change our armies before the final round of the championship tourney, so we just talked a bit of strategy and played some other games. High Society was played a lot this weekend as filler when we were waiting for something.

The sun rose the next morning and we took our armies to the miniatures hall for another day of battle. Round 1 eliminated John, but Joe and I both one our first matches.

My battle was against an army consisting of two dragons: Nilfheim and Charos. I wasn’t sure what to think about this match up, but I knew I had strength in numbers although he would have the upper hand in mobility as his dragons could fly and we were on Soulrazor. Luckily my Krav were able to shoot up Nilfheim quickly. This left room for my Romans to swarm Charos to tie him down without attacking for fear of the counterstrike, but since they could bond with Me Burq Sa, he was able to put some hits on the beast and help bring him down with my remaining Krav.

Joe’s battle was a tight one vs. a really nice opponent that I had gotten the chance to play in an earlier win a wave tourney. Joe was playing:

3x Swog Rider
3x Grut Archers
1x Krug
1x Raelin

His opponent had:
Minions X2
Finn
Krav Mag

It came right down to the wire, but Joe overcame the vicious minion assault.

Unfortunately the second round instead of following the tournament seeding like we did the round before, the TD decided to randomly assign us and I had to play Joe in the semis rather than the finals Also I had lost to him the day before on the same map we were being assigned to this time, which wasn’t cool for me.

The game was pretty close this time. My Krav did their job and pretty much ate up a fair share of his army before being incapacitated and it looked like I was going to win the battle as Me Burq Sa took many attacks without falling and did his fair share of damage. Eventually the tide turned though and it was Joe that moved on.

The final round was Joe vs. NWOJedi on Forsaken Waters. NWOJedi played:

Airborne Elite
4th Mass X3
Raelin

It was a very good game that started out with a horrible loss for Joe as the AE dropped on the first turn and took out Joe’s Raelin, but Joe really controlled the pace and had a couple of surprising moves that worked out really well for him and won him the game.

After his win in the championship round, Joe was told that he also got the chance to play Craig VanNess the creator of the game. So Joe put together a new fun army to incorporate the new Gen Con exclusive figure Sir Hawthorne in it. I wanted him to play his orcs again, oh well.

Craig brought an army with a lot of D. I believe it was:

2x Sentinels
1x Raelin
1x Krav Maga

The game was a lot of fun to watch and had some pretty fun memorable moments like when Joe was trying to move Theracus to a position where he didn’t seem to be fitting so Craig moved his figure to allow the move then when Joe placed Theracus he dropped the knight off right on the attack glyph. At this point Craig was all, “actually he couldn’t fit there.” It was pretty funny, but the lone sentinel was able to take out Theracus and the knight for the win. After it was over Craig gave Joe his army and a Road and Tundra set.

I went back to the dealer hall after this to play some more games and Demo Heroscape for a couple of hours for which Craig is sending me a castle set. Score!

We went back to the hotel pretty early this night and ordered some pizza from Papa John’s. I wish I had one here, because the Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken was awesome. We played some games including Monkeys! Which I thought was mostly stupid and chaotic. Maybe some more games would make it better, because pretty much everyone needs to have a good knowledge of what every card does to make it work. We also finalized our mind shackle armies for the final tourney on Sunday.

Sunday morning Joe, John and I participated in the Mind Shackle tourney. In the Mind Shackle Tourney everyone had to have a 400 point army that included Ne Gok Sa; the way to win was by either killing or mind shackling your opponent’s Ne Gok Sa. Unfortunately Joe and John got paired up first round and Joe knocked John out. John and I were playing an army consisting of:

1x Braxas
1x Krav Maga
1x Ne Gok Sa

I was able to defeat my first opponent with a successful acid breath attack on Ne Gok Sa.

Second round I wasn’t able to get so lucky and Rychaen beat me. If only I would have done my previous acid breath attack in a different order I would have won, but when his AE dropped they ate up my Braxas. I couldn’t get any defense to save his life literally?

I ran over to the dealer hall to make some last minute purchase including Democrazy and Showbiz Shuffle for my wife.

While I was shopping Joe moved on again, and went on to win the mind shackle tournament as well. We got a hold of Marc during Joe’s final game to tell him to meet us at the miniature hall so that we could leave when he finished, as it was a long drive home. He didn’t make it there by the time Joe was done getting his prizes and everything, so I called again and he said he was still in the dealer hall. I told him to just meet us at the car, since he was closer to it anyway. However when we got there, he was not there. I called him again to find out that he was still in the dealer hall. We told him to hurry and then we went in to use the bathroom and grab some sodas. We got into the car and parked on the street outside the hotel so we could see him coming, but we still couldn’t see him, so I called again. He was STILL in the dealer hall. We then decided to go pick him up at the convention center, and surprisingly he was out there when we got there. I thought I was going to have to go in and get him.

All in all it was a great trip. I wish I would have got to play against some people other than Spider_Poison in the finals, but maybe next year it will work out for us to be in the finals together. I hate when we have to knock each other out. I came home with all sorts of cool new Heroscape stuff, prizes, other games and I have some stuff on preorder as well. I am already starting the countdown to next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had a great experience at GenCon. I was just wondering if you had a chance to play any Heroscape while you were there though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Ychor wrote:
Sounds like you had a great experience at GenCon. I was just wondering if you had a chance to play any Heroscape while you were there though...

Yeah it was a great time, and I did manage to squeeze in a few games of Heroscape I still am not scaped out though. I am hoping to get some people together this weekend to play with some of my new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.