GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The ideal game for each race rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Theblankidealblankgame
Petri's post about an optimal game for the Alchemists in this thread made me wonder how the ideal game for all the other races would look like.

I propose to agree on these assumptions:
* You can assume whatever combination of scoring and bonus tiles you like, including sequence of scoring for the six rounds.
* If you require some power action, consider it available (though there should be enough power to pay for it).
* TPs will always have a friendly neighbor to save coins.
* Town tiles you want are available (but obviously only two of each type).
* Expansion tiles for towns and bonus are there (or not) as you need it.
* Regarding leeching I propose to make optimistic, but not unrealistic assumptions (i.e. 6-8 power in a round may be ok, 12+ are not; also take into account VP subtractions).

Here is Petri's take on an ideal game for the Alchemists, copied without permission from this thread (it's at the end of page 1):
Petri wrote:
I'm sure Alchemists have potential to score 200 and much more with an ideal game, but that's just very difficult to pull off. Here's sketch:

* Turn 1: SA/SH >> 5 with fire cult giving workers, get bon6
* Upgrade to SH, get act2, get act6, build 2 dwellings, send priest to fire
* Now at SH, 3 D
* Turn 2: TOWN >> 5, get bon1
* Upgrade to TE, get fav11, build 2 dwellings to finish a town, take priest
* Now at SH, TE, 4 D
* Turn 3: D >> 2, get bon9
* Upgrade shipping twice, build 4 dwellings
* Now at SH, TE, 8 D
* Turn 4: SA/SH >> 5, get bon6
* Upgrade to SA, get fav10
* Now at SH, SA, 8 D
* Turn 5: TP >> 3, get bon7
* Upgrade 5 TP and 1 TE, get fav12
* Now at SH, SA, TE, 4 TP, 3 D
* Turn 6: D >> 2, get bon6 or bon9
* Upgrade digging twice
* Build 5 D, finish 2 towns

Now that's pretty hard to pull off, but try to aim for something like that to get totally ridiculous points with the Alchemists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny that we have very many strategy articles that discuss the strength of each race, while the "optimal" game often times is a lot about timing of round bonus tiles and power actions :)

Having said that, the optimal game for each race individually might still be interesting. As Petri obviously likes to expand with shipping instead of digging even though the Alchemists receive beneftits from digs. So it's not intiutive but it makes a lot sense because of worker shortage. So that's very interesting and maybe there will be lot of insights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kent_bro wrote:
It's funny that we have very many strategy articles that discuss the strength of each race, while the "optimal" game often times is a lot about timing of round bonus tiles and power actions

Yes, but its perfectly valid to bring this up. Players choose races after the board it is setup, not before. Engineers and Witches are both strong races, so an analysis that looks at the usefulness of end round bonuses and income tiles is EXACTLY what is needed to know when to choose one over the other.

I think the real criticism that should be brought up is that a lot of time is spent analyzing the stronger races that have versatile powers. Instead of yet another article explaining how to min/max playing Alchemists, I would much rather like to know when taking the Aurens or the Fakirs might actually be beneficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I think the real criticism that should be brought up is that a lot of time is spent analyzing the stronger races that have versatile powers. Instead of yet another article explaining how to min/max playing Alchemists, I would much rather like to know when taking the Aurens or the Fakirs might actually be beneficial.
Why don't you open threads on these topics if you find them more interesting, and leave this thread to those who find the idea of an ideal game interesting? Btw. with minimal effort you will find threads for both Auren and Fakirs in this very forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
A good place to start is looking at the top scoring games for 3,4 and 5 players for each race on the http://terra.snellman.net/stats/ site. Some of these games are pretty ideal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I quickly tried the described Alchemist strategy in http://lodev.org/tmai/

That site enforces rules, but allows you to play 1 player game with predefined passing bonuses and round bonuses.

Using the strategy (most likely without perfect execution) I got 214 points with Alchemists in 1 player game (so 0 leech and expensive trading posts), so theoretical maximum is very much higher than that. Perhaps trading post rush is actually not a good strategy at all when you need to build them for full price.

* Ended up converting 33 victory points to money
* Area size 15
* 3 towns (achieving that actually needs some thought)

It'd be an interesting challenge to try to optimize 1 player game scores on that site. Not only with Alchemists but also with other factions. I'm sure beating 214 is possible, how high can you go?

Maybe some other race than Alchemists can score even better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried totally different approach with Alchemists in 1 player game with the following setup:
SH >> 5, D >> 2, D >> 2, SPADE >> 2, TP >> 3, TOWN >> 5

Converted only 19 points to money and ended up with 213 points. I have no clue which approach would be better in the end.

Swarmlings also have a good chance to end up with 210+ points in 1 player game.

EDIT: Now finished a game with 4 towns with the setup. 219 points, 33 vp converted to money. It seems that SPADE >> 2 on turn 4 combined with TOWN >> 5 on turn 6 is very strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Though it seems that great 1p scores would only work for races with cheap access to coins or TPs.

I tried to come up with a Halfling setup for lots of points (with dig>>2 bonus in round 4 and producing as many workers until then as possible), but money was always the constraining factor (even with 20c from the 6c bonus tile), along with almost zero power income.
Money-wise, the only sources of income are the 6c bonus tile (giving 7c every other round) and a maximum of two 7c power actions - in the later rounds the odd TP income.
Power-wise, until late the Halflings only gain power via cult or by taking a bonus tile that gives 3 power income. Chances to get a 3rd town are dim without the money. I got to 178 points but 32 of these were cult boni with the markers just at 3/3/5/4). The best Halflings 3p score at snellman is 183!
But maybe my focus on maximum digging in round 4 and town completion in round 6 isn't the best approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
My early attempts with other factions were 197 with Dwarves, 204 with Chaos Magicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. B.
France
Cannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This 1p variant is an excellent addition to TM AI! With the ability to undo your moves, it's amazing to see how a simple move can have strong repercussions and impact the score in the end.

I gave it a couple tries with each faction, just to get some "seeding", but there's still a lot of room to improve. (especially now looking at what others have achieved ^^)

score (towns)
205 (4) alchemists
202 (2) halflings (previous 196 (2))
197 (3) chaos mages
195 (3) swarmlings
183 (2) darklings
179 (2) mermaids
179 (2) giants
179 (3) witches (previous 164 (2))
176 (3) nomads
173 (3) aurens (previous 166 (2))
173 (2) engineers
172 (2) cultists
170 (2) dwarves
162 (2) fakirs

I'll update when I manage to improve. I'll try to get to 3 towns with the factions that did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.