GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exiled player and the colony rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the section of the rules on exiled players, it states that all the players characters are immediately moved to non-colony locations. However, it does not seem to prohibit the player from moving back to the colony, unless I have missed something.

I assume that the spirit of the rule is that exiled players cannot move to the colony?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't say so literally, but from the rest of the text you can pretty much assume they can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to wait until I am home, but I thought it said so in the rulebook, that exiled survivors could not move back to the colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the exiled chapter:
Quote:
If the players vote in favor of exiling a
player, the exiled player must immediately draw 1 exiled secret objective card.
This card will adjust his secret objective.
The exiled player must move all of the
survivors he controls that are in the
colony to non-colony locations of his
choice. Those survivors follow all of
the normal rules for movement, except this move does not
count as the 1 move survivors are allowed to make during
his turn. Some new rules apply to the exiled player:
• The exiled player cannot add cards to a crisis.
• When the exiled player is directed to add helpless
survivor tokens to the colony those tokens are not added.
• If the exiled player plays a survivor item card to add a
survivor to the game it is placed at a non-colony location
of his choice rather than at the colony.
• The exiled player cannot spend food tokens to increase
his action die results, but may play food cards to increase
an action die result by 1 for each food card played rather
than carrying out the effect listed on the food card.
• The exiled player cannot vote.
• The colony does not lose morale when a survivor the
exiled player controls is killed.
• When the exiled player plays a card, instead of placing it
in the waste pile, he removes it from the game.
Important note:If at any time during the game there are 2 exiled
players and neither had a betrayal secret objective, morale
immediately drops to 0

BTW any update on the FAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slowly compiling it. We want to wait a couple weeks until the dust settles after GenCon, to see what other issues crop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Slowly compiling it. We want to wait a couple weeks until the dust settles after GenCon, to see what other issues crop up.

Why not make it a living document and post it now? Questions will never stop coming and the FAQ itself will probably raise some questions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo laFrossia
msg tools
According to Watch it Played video, the exiled survivors cannot go back to the colony.

Also, once a player is voted out and draws an Exiles card, if he's not the betrayer he reveals his original secret objective. If two players are exiled and they are not the betrayer, morale drops to zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So yesterday I came across the situation where there were a lot of characters the soon to be exiled player controlled.

In the case there aren't enough spaces in the non-colony locations, what happens? Do his characters get "killed off" since there aren't enough spaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player gets exiled, and there are not enough spots open in non-colony locations, then for each survivor they have to place (without an opening), they choose one non-exiled survivor to move back to the Colony. This does not count as a move, and they do not roll for exposure. The Exiled player then must move a survivor into the now opened spot.

Added to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an addendum to my initial question, in our last game an exiled player activated a crossroads card which instructed him to move one of his survivors to the colony (amongst other things). We rules that we should ignore the card, as it made no thematic sense in the context. Are there any special rules with exiled players and the crossroads cards? It feels like a lot of them won't quite work correctly with someone who has been kicked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon said in some other thread that if a crossroad card cannot be resolved by the active player, it is ignored.

The caveat being, if you play an Outsider card, even if it tells you to add your new survivor to the colony, you don't, you place it in any open spot in any location. If you'd have to add a helpless survivor to the colony, you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
Board Game Producer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrPink wrote:
Reading through the section of the rules on exiled players, it states that all the players characters are immediately moved to non-colony locations. However, it does not seem to prohibit the player from moving back to the colony, unless I have missed something.

I assume that the spirit of the rule is that exiled players cannot move to the colony?
We have same problem, and cannot find an answer anywhere in FAQ or rulebook. As far according to rules exiled player can make it back to colony and also they have to be feed during Colony Phase.

EDIT: I emailed authors:
Brian Beyke wrote:
Exiled players cannot return to the colony. I'll see to it that makes it to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.