GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Saratoga» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
I’m not the "best" one out there to understand and read the rules but I manage... Most of the time... Some thinking, some re-reading and I’m fine. But I’m stumped with the LOS rules of Saratoga. And I also read this question : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/853413/line-sight

As far as I’ve understood it (in my own "newbie" words) : LOS (visibility) is effective if both units (firing + target) are in an "UpSlope" position from each other. UpSlope being : draw a line from the centers of A (firing) to B (target) and if it crosses lines going "up" as it enters the hex (those lines are "in" the target hex), it’s "higher" and in an UpSlope position. With the three options of neither unit being UpSlope (option A), one unit being UpSlope (option B) or both being Upslope (option C).

But I’m baffled by the example : so here it goes (my apologies in advance for the many questions, just firing all my thoughts ;-) ) :

A) RED : Line crosses one single "down" slope of a hex that isn’t the target, according to the rules (option A), the LOS is blocked (as it crosses any slope hexside that isn’t a part of the firing or target hexes). Am I right here? Is this a case of option A of the rules?
B) GREEN : Just doublechecking : the hex before reaching B (the one with the start of the pink line) is visible as any adjacent hexes to the firing unit are visible? Back to "B" : the green line crosses a "down" slope from the firing unit and another "down" slope before reaching B. The confusion sets in : I don’t see the difference with the previous situation? Except for the extra down slope of the firing hex?
C) BLUE : Going from the firing unit to "C", we cross an "up" slope when entering "C" and from "C" back to the firing unit, the "up" slope of the artillery is crossed. Case = option C of the rules? Both units being UpSlope? So why is the hex "behind" C also visible? As we also cross the "up slope" of hex C before we reach that particular hex and this means that it crosses any slope hexside that isn’t a part of the firing or target hexes and thus also blocking the LOS?
D) PINK : See the RED A explanation : we cross again one single "down" slope (of the firing hex) yet the hex is visible?
E) BROWN : The crème de la crème I’ve lost it here... Two ‘downs’ and 1 up before reaching E?

Thanks for any and all help!
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimi:

It helps to visualize the terrain from the side:

Note that LOS to "A" is blocked because the cannon is situated 1 hex away from the crest line. But, in the second picture, "B" is in LOS because the cannon is located at the crest line and viewing directly down the slope.

DaVinci I'm not, but hope this clarifies things.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davinci or not : this helped! How it helped! Absolutely brilliant indeed and thanks for taking the time to draw this up (you even used my examples!), find an 'easy' way to explain these rules AND going into detail

This has indeed clarified that part of the rules, for that : my gratitude, a thumbs up (because I only have 1) and 8GG.

thanks again,
/dimi

PS : If anyone is up for a game on Vassal : do send me a PM But I'll state the obvious : I haven't played this game before...

*UPDATE* 2 volunteers! Awesome, I was busy last weekend but I'll be replying shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! Glad it helped, and thank you for the generous tip.

If no one else has offered, I'd be glad to play a learning game with you -- although I can't promise to teach you how to play well. Will send you a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Alcott
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great response! And a great thread. But I am still confused about the ‘S’ hex three hexes away in the upper right. I think this should be in range and have LOS since it is sufficiently far away from the crest. Like the hex in upper left which is shown as unblocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOS to E is unblocked because E is upslope one level from the lowest level in between it and the cannon. LOS to the S hex three hexes away is blocked because it is at the lowest level, and the plateau effect makes the LOS stay blocked at that low level regardless of range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.