Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just received a copy of Shadowlord! in trade, and I'll admit that my first response after reading the rules was "wow, a lot of potential, but poorly executed". As such, I'm already thinking about rewriting the rules. I have several thoughts at the moment for possible changes, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think. I was wondering what people who have actually had a chance to play the game think about what things need the most work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Melrosebud
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this one as a kid. My friends and I had a pretty good time with it as I remember, unfortunately that's all I remember (actually that's not completely true, I also recall the diplomat Ola being smokin' hot! - great artwork.) I would be very interested to hear about your redesign. What are you considering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is all in flux at the moment, but my current thoughts:

1) In the interests of eliminating the end game drag, change the victory conditions to: control all four bases, defeat the Shadowlord, or eliminate all other Elemental Lords.
2) Eliminate Random Events rolls.
3) Eliminate most (if not all) of the player voting.
4) Modify combat to both streamline it, and add more strategy:
* Each player in a battle may call invite one ally, either their own power ring or that of another player.
* Battle is decided by sum of all ships and characters on each side, plus one power card from the hand of each player on the side
* Prior to the main battle, the attacker may launch ships for a "dogfight". The defender may launch ships to counter, in which case both players add the number of ships they launched plus a power card. All ships in the dogfight on the losing side are destroyed. Any attacking ships are worth twice as much in the main battle, which is the main reason for the defender to risk the dogfight.
5) Each of the four types of ships will have a different ability. My current thought: Earth ships are worth double when aiding the defending side in the main battle; Fire ships are worth double during dogfights; Air ships are able to move one space on their own each turn; and half of all Water ships on the losing side of a dogfight survive.
6) Ruins may be explored by any character spending one turn on the planet. A small deck of cards represent what is encountered during the exploration: creatures to be fought, traps to be escaped, and artifacts that provide special abilities to the alliance who finds them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:

I really have to disagree with this. The voting on "evil" actions is the aspect of this game which is most essential to making it unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rydiafan wrote:
Dspitzle wrote:

I really have to disagree with this. The voting on "evil" actions is the aspect of this game which is most essential to making it unique.

How the heck does anything happen, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
rydiafan wrote:
Dspitzle wrote:

How the heck does anything happen, then?

Same way anything happens in any politics game, by making deals.

Besides, you only need a single "yes" vote to do an evil action. If I'm playing with Tom, Dick, and Harry and Harry's winning, I don't think I'm going to have any difficulty getting Tom or Dick to vote yes on me targeting Harry with an evil action. On the other hand, if I'm winning and need to do an evil action, I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that the only person I'm going to be allowed to hurt is myself, and try to get somebody, ANYBODY, to vote "yes" on the least damaging choice possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rydiafan wrote:

Same way anything happens in any politics game, by making deals.

Besides, you only need a single "yes" vote to do an evil action. If I'm playing with Tom, Dick, and Harry and Harry's winning, I don't think I'm going to have any difficulty getting Tom or Dick to vote yes on me targeting Harry with an evil action. On the other hand, if I'm winning and need to do an evil action, I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that the only person I'm going to be allowed to hurt is myself, and try to get somebody, ANYBODY, to vote "yes" on the least damaging choice possible.

Exactly. It seems to be there to keep the leader in check.

I just rescued this game from my mother's closet a few months back. I'd love to be able to introduce some easy fixes to make it playable, as I have fond memories of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of this that I'll probably never play, if anyone needs a spare copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the Artist who designed the cards for the game is named Laurie Kuhar and is still working freelance. So who knows...you might just have a chance with Ola. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.