Hide
8 Posts

Samurai Spirit» Forums » Rules

Subject: Weakness in 2 player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
msg tools
A friend and I played a 2 player game of this last night and ran into a disturbing issue.

We randomly took 14 cards from the bandit deck and started playing; we were able to fight all of the bandits, but there was only 1 villager icon in the deck, so it was impossible for us to save a villager. The directions read to gather up the cards we used and add the lieutenant cards in round 2 and the boss cards in round 3. the added cards for the second and third rounds did not give us any villager icons either, and we automatically lost by the end of the third round due to villager elimination.

I reviewed the rules and could not find any directions on what to do in this instance. The most obvious solution would be to shuffle the cards backinto the main pile and draw 14 new cards, but I would think this issue would have come up in playtesting and would be covered in the rules.

Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could simply redraw 14 cards, yes. It should have been noted in the 2p variant, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D.
Norway
Asker
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the game feel otherwise with 2p? That is the most usual way I play, with 3-4p once a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndOfDreams wrote:
How did the game feel otherwise with 2p? That is the most usual way I play, with 3-4p once a month.

Well, the "2p" is a variant, the game has been designed for a higher number of players. If you only play "2p" try it first

Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
EndOfDreams wrote:

You could always play with each player controlling 2 or even 3 samurai..whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
EndOfDreams wrote:

Other than the villager issue, we had the game on lockdown; neither one of us felt the need to use the support action at all, but we did use 1 of the 1 time use tokens (in the 2p variant all of the talent tokens from the unused characters are available for use once per game). We played on normal difficulty.

I usually play coop games solo as well and must say the 2p variant as it is written in the rulebook is wholly unsatisfying. Had it not been for the deck set up, we would have won nearly effortlessly. The only real "decision" was whether to confront or defend.

The solo variant is just 1 person running 2 or 3 characters using the 2p variant rules, so I do not see that being a different experience for me. I think I will try a solo run with 4-7 characters to see if it is a better experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games solo now, controlling 3 Samurai and not using any additional Support tokens, and they have been very solid games (Hard mode).

We'll probably go "Sidekick Mode" in 2-player games, having a third Samurai to co-control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like with 2 you would want to control 2 samurais each, or what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls