GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Specializing and Getting Better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a very interesting dynamic in this game, in that most players have favorite factions--meaning factions that they perform especially well with--and other factions that they have trouble with. The ranking-points breakdown on Snellman makes it easy to see, with each player, which factions are which.

So when I am able to play with my best factions, I may do exceptionally well, but when I am forced out of my comfort zone, or when I try to "force it," i.e. to play one of my favorite factions on a setup that does not play to their strengths, the results are much worse.

This gives rise to two thoughts for me: 1) There's a luck element in the game when it comes to being able to choose one of your favorite races with an advantageous setup, and 2) A big part of getting better at Terra Mystica, which is (as with any game) largely about reducing luck elements through superior play, is learning to play all (or at least most) of the factions well enough to make yourself competitive no matter what the setup is and which chair you're seated in.

In other words, many games have a variety of approaches, but TM succeeds in incentivizing players to _use_ that variety, while at the same time allowing them to specialize. It's really a great combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik A
msg tools
Alot has to do with knowing structure of friends and foes for expansion when it comes to colours in the game in my opinion.

Getting good to know who to expand next to and who to avoid. What colour will do well when colour X and Y is in the game.

This is probably what advances skill most when forced to play a faction you are not used to. Finding the spots where to rake up your points. That and that some favours are more preferable with some factions than others; ranking changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.