GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Heroes Wanted» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tiger: "After you reveal this hero, gain an additional strike action" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
That means I'm taking an extra Strike card from the deck and adding it to my hand, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. So you have 2 strikes. This is why we have a 6th copy of all the basics, superpower, and the specials--there is an equivalent to Tiger for each card: Turbo, Ultimate, Super, American, and Fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FANCY!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
FANCY!!

Last night, I won as the Fancy Tarantula, a fact that looks like it would please you (and your avatar), Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lindeburg
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won the other night as Stunt Tarantula by a pretty wide margin. His superpower is way OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can roll 8s like a boss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with Super Phantom. He is one overpowered hero - one injury, then you can take out 4 henchmen (and only 1 of each pair needs to be near you) before resting. Even though you lose 6 VP at the end of the game from Super, you are going to get 3 VP for most henchmen killed, plus 2VP per extra henchmen - for a net gain of around 5 VP - you probably also get an earlier headline for henchmen killed, for 1 or 2 more VP. I also was able to plan things so I got a couple of hits on the Villain with Blast and 3 injuries, so I got most damage to the Villain as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, some combos are better than others. Over-powered? We do not feel that there is a single, or group, or these in the thousands of possible combos that will always win. In testing over 200 games, we saw Super win only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super IS hard to win with - I only took it because I realized that my superpower really worked well with Super, and that I could get back the 6 VP that I would lose to Super.
It helped that we were playing the DVD scenario - After working to get my first injury (so I could place my token and use that to KO henchmen) and KO'ing a couple of boxes, I jumped on the conveyor and let that carry me around and either hit the boss when he was nearby, or a couple of henchmen or a henchman and an underling otherwise. I mistimed a couple of things and got another couple of injuries by being 1 short of what I needed to defend. I used my last headline to remove an injury to get back down to 3 injuries.
I was able to be first on 3 of the headlines, 2nd on a fourth, most henchmen killed, and most damage to the villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be fair, Aaron, you are no slouch from what I remember of playing with you in NYC. So I will partially chock this up to your skills to pay the superhero bills. The power token heroes require a good tactical understanding to execute. The good news is, with throusands of combos, it is unlikely you will see this particular hero again any time soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
Well, to be fair, Aaron, you are no slouch from what I remember of playing with you in NYC. So I will partially chock this up to your skills to pay the superhero bills. The power token heroes require a good tactical understanding to execute. The good news is, with throusands of combos, it is unlikely you will see this particular hero again any time soon

That's the part that has me not worried at all. Even if there were an OP combo it's unlikely you would see it more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few scary ones, but they players simply have to factor them into their decisions, same as they would in any other game. Dark Brain could snipe and injure you if you are reckless--same as any other hero, though he can do it from anywhere at the cost of an injury. Heavy Metal Yeti can smash the crap out of people in her space--so heroes just use movement actions to position yourself out of range, like you would with other 'hero haters.' In truth, Phantom is nowhere on our radar for being abusive--literally, our records show that is has never won a single game in testing or demoing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lindeburg
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
If you can roll 8s like a boss

That makes more sense. I was reading the card as roll 8 or higher rather than exactly 8. With Press out there, the chance of rolling an 8 or higher is 83%. Now I need to apologize to the folks I cheated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that with some experience, players will learn/adopt 'self-balancing' approaches similar to how it works in Cosmic Encounter and all its unique races. Not that I feel Heroes Wanted is quite as chaotically or gleefully and intentionally imbalanced.

If someone's particularly powerful, other players can gang up on them or people can try and strike deals with regards to their actions. There is always that meta-game aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.