GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Hussite wars/Medieval Bohemia recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a game covering the Hussite wars/Bohemia in the 1400s. I would prefer, if possible, a game with an Ameritrash feel, such as Warlords of Europe, A&A, etc.
Also, if someone could point me to a source for Hussite war-wagon miniatures in 1/285th scale or smaller, that would be great, too.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
1/285 scale? Go big instead!

Plastic Soldier Review has a few Hussite sets in 1/72 scale, including war wagons.

Good Luck with your project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pete!

The 1/72 scale would work great for C&C scenarios... (hint-hint)

I am hoping to find a smaller scale to keep it compatible with other Cav/mech units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really what you're looking for, but there's so few games based on the Hussite wars I thought I'd mention this Diplomacy variant called "Hussite Wars":

http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php?variantID=47

(I've haven't tried it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see this thread for wargames on the Hussite Wars

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/767860/recommendation-hussit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Samy! I appreciate the digging... This gives me a few more stones to turn over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crsluggo wrote:
Hello all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a game covering the Hussite wars/Bohemia in the 1400s. I would prefer, if possible, a game with an Ameritrash feel, such as Warlords of Europe, A&A, etc.
Also, if someone could point me to a source for Hussite war-wagon miniatures in 1/285th scale or smaller, that would be great, too.

Thanks!

Heroics & Ross MR13 would probably do what you want. However, combat is very asymmetric and an operational level game might be a better option; sadly I have never spotted one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror", and in the epilogue she briefly mentions the Hussite wars and the war wagon tactic. It seemed to be very successful for the Hussites, who apparently fell apart more due to internal dissension than defeat on the battlefield. But the tactic, successful though it was, doesn't seem to have been picked up by anybody else. One of Tuchman's themes is that actually winning battles (as opposed to demonstrating one's personal prowess) was not always in the forefront of military consciousness at the time, so maybe the fact that commoners can win battles using war wagons was not enough to keep the idea alive. But I'm curious if there were particular tactical problems that put an end to the era of the war wagon so quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a pretty good discussion about it here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?769786-Wh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for that link. That's a very illuminating discussion of exactly what I was wondering about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crsluggo wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

You seriously can't go wrong with John Bianchi's Warhammer Ancients Battles module Vlad the Impaler. Yes, it's miniatures gaming, but it looks as though you're heading that way in any event. Great volume and a wonderful system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion!

However, I do want to point out that the use of wagons as a mobile fortification did not die with the Hussites. The westward pioneers used the same basic principle with their prairie schooners to defend against Indian raids, thus giving us the phrase "circling the wagons".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I like this place. Never heard of this and it's caused me to do read up on the Hussites. Sounds like a perfect topic for Legion to take on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading up on the topic myself!

I just ordered this book today from Amazon:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.