GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,366 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

United States
California
flag msg tools
“After a long and perilous journey through the western lands, Sajan had finally found his sister. A fervent trail of clues led him to an abandoned mining colony where he had hopes of buying back her freedom. As he made his way past the broken rock he realized this had been the site of a brutal massacre. Clinging on to the last bits of his sanity, Sajan desperately searched for his twin sister Sajni. Bodies lay in puddles of stale blood among the red-splattered rock faces, some missing limbs and heads, some mangled beyond recognition. Further examination of the site revealed to the monk that this had been nothing more than a raid on the evil lord’s mining operations—the same lord who took his twin sister away from him all those years ago. Then, in a single moment, Sajan’s world came to an end. In the corner of the quarry rested his sister’s mutilated corpse. The shackles around her wrists and ankles along with the bloodied raggedy cloth covering her body was all she possessed at the time of her merciless murder. Her wound, a deep laceration across her torso, had caused her to bleed out. Distraught and overcome with grief, Sajan carried his sister’s corpse out of the mass grave. He wandered the countryside for days until he came upon a peaceful coast. There is where he had set his beloved sister out to sea and her spirit to rest. As her body drifted further under the calm waters, Sajan swore an oath against injustice everywhere and to never pick up another weapon. Convinced the gods had forsaken him, he found a cliffside dwelling overlooking the crashing waves below, where he closed his eyes and abandoned the cruel world around him. With only the ocean, sun, moon, and stars as his companions, the monk began meditating. Falling back on his teachings, Sajan’s body entered a deep tranquil stasis where he required no food or drink. His skin became impervious to the elements; his body no more than a hard shell for the suffering soul inside. Hours turned into days, days passed into weeks and weeks became months. Finally the gods had answered his call. Sajan’s spirit underwent a divine metamorphosis. In return for renouncing worldly possessions and his absolute devotion, they bestowed upon him their infinite blessings and vast wisdom. Three years since that painful day came to pass, our monk, now a divine sage emerged from his cave with a shining conviction in his heart. Guided by the righteous hand of the gods, Sajan now travels the world hunting down injustice and aiding those who fight against it.”

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed that little story as much as I enjoyed writing it! This is my first post on the forums mainly because I am new to the site as well as the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. My girlfriend and I got it about three weeks ago looking for something new and fun to do and I’m happy to say we haven’t been disappointed. I picked up Sajan on my first adventure and I haven’t put him down since. His story, mechanics, and overall theme is fascinating and an absolute blast to play! I felt like I had to somehow pay tribute to the one who got me out of Black Fang’s Dungeon in one piece, so, without further ado, I give you Sajan Enlightened!

(I apologize for the small image, I'm not sure how to fix it but I believe it can be enlarged by clicking it.) Now, you may be wondering why I chose to build him this way. Keep on reading below to find out why as I break him down section by section!

CARDS LIST
While building Sajan Enlightened, I really wanted to stay true to the lore I created for him. He swore he would never pick up another weapon, therefore he has no access to weapons. The first major difference you will notice between my character and the original Sajan is the number of spells he now has access to. Before, Sajan was able to hang on to 1 spell. Now he starts out with 5, but more on that later. As for armor, his body has become an indomitable force on its own therefore he has no use for cumbersome armor. I reduced the number of items he keeps on him mainly because I wanted to make room for spells but also because he holds dear only a few trinkets that remind him of his sister and birthplace. He now heavily lacks in the ally department, but only because three years in a cave really takes a tool on your social skills. Lastly, I reduced the number of blessings to further balance the spell/blessing ratio. You will also notice that I properly updated his class to Sage!

SKILLS
Four skills have been updated between original Sajan and my character so I will only touch upon those. I increased his dexterity mainly because I really like rolling a d12 and d10 with some of my combat checks that use divine attack spells but also because that is his main combat stat which has developed further over the last few years. His intelligence and wisdom are in the same boat, I buffed them because of the knowledge and divinity that was granted to him by the gods. One thing I didn't like was that Sajan, the only character that uses divine blessings most efficiently had no divine skill to speak of. As a result, wisdom now makes use of the divine sub skill. As far as charisma goes it's the same story as to why he lacks in allies. Not much of a charismatic guy after having no human contact for 3 years and grieving his sister's death.

POWERS
Sajan's original powers have transitioned over to my character. His new powers are going to be the topic of discussion now. His third and newest power is basically a copy of my girlfriend's character Seoni but with the divine trait instead of arcane. You may say that's overpowered in most cases (which it usually is when it comes to combat) but keep in mind that he has no access to weapons, armors, and barely any allies. Additionally, his fourth and last power is more of a hindrance as well. Sajan Enlightened has devoted himself to all the gods equally therefore he doesn't favor any one particular blessing (I'm looking at you Erastil).

So, there it is, my wall of text. One thing I forgot to mention in the beginning is that this is a WORK IN PROGRESS and in no way do I think he is at a place where I am content with him. This is where you guys come in. I welcome any and all feedback and criticism. If you have any tips, improvements, or think he should be nerfed any further please let me know! I want him as balanced as possible while maintaining the same general theme of a sage that makes use of the divinity bestowed upon him by the gods. My goal is to make him a permanent part of my Friday night adventures with my girlfriend! And no, I'm not interested in a threesome with a card you pervs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story.

But now I gotta say that you made Sajan crazy strong for a starting character. Check all the other characters, nobody has more than 42 total dice values and your Sajan has 46. Auto-recharge for divine with 5 spells makes him the strongest caster out the gate, maybe, plus recharging his blessings for combat. Limiting him to BoG won't hurt early on.

Not trying to be too negative cause a divine monk/sage is a really cool idea. Not sure if I have any great suggestions but you gotta keep in mind that this game really ticks when you gotta make choices and trade offs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you Jeff! Based on your suggestion I just lowered his Wisdom and Intelligence to d10 and d6 respectively so I am at the 42 point mark. Now I just gotta figure out how I can work in divine spells without recharging them but still having a skill to do with them. This way he stays within his theme. I was thinking of replacing it with something along the lines of "Roll a d6. On an even number recharge your divine spells. Odd numbers discard them."

If anyone has any ideas, please post them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smoby wrote:
Thank you Jeff! Based on your suggestion I just lowered his Wisdom and Intelligence to d10 and d6 respectively so I am at the 42 point mark. Now I just gotta figure out how I can work in divine spells without recharging them but still having a skill to do with them. This way he stays within his theme. I was thinking of replacing it with something along the lines of "Roll a d6. On an even number recharge your divine spells. Odd numbers discard them."

If anyone has any ideas, please post them!

Maybe you could keep his auto-recharge divine spells if you removed his auto-recharge blessings. After all, if he is a divine caster, he will probably be healing anyway, so discarding blessings is less of a problem. I'm not sure if that weakens him enough, though.

I do like this concept as well.

Another idea: instead of auto-recharge, he adds 1 [2] [3] to his combat check with the Divine trait [or the amount of cards shuffled into his deck by a spell with the Healing trait]. There's probably a shorter way to word the last part of his power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Honeycutt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Since he is a sage, what if you found some way to auto recharge only those spells that were informational in nature? Cures and Holy lights would act as normal but detect magics and traps and other such things would auto recharge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.