GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Mythbusters getting rid of Kari, Grant, and Tory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what?!

Seems like a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they are getting their own pilot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Wait, what?!
Seems like a bad good idea.

Fixed that for ya!

I used to like the show, back before they got these three idiots...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll miss them. I figure the Discovery channel wants to cut costs so they dropped them from the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kari's boobs are the only reason to watch that show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Normally I loathe agreeing with you, but in this case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The show lately has generally been more about finding excuses to blow things up than anything else. If they really are dropping these three I think the jump the shark moment has arrived for the show. Was a good run while it lasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was a budget thing, I could KINDA see Grant and Tory getting cut.

I'd be real surprised if they would have willingly cut Kari, though. From a purely marketing perspective, she's not one of the crew you'd want to lose. For obvious reasons (see up-thread, for example).

I'd say that it's more likely they've been looking to go their own way on side projects. 10 years is a pretty long time to be doing ANY job, and infinitely moreso for 'creative types'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I read recently Mythbusters ratings are down 59% from 2011. Lower ratings mean less advertising revenue. They had to cut the budget so they basically fired not just half the cast but half of the production crew.

The show itself has been going down as well. As I said above it has become more about "what can we blow up this week?". My wife use to watch it with me but she stopped watching it last year when they went on this stupid stretch of posting live Twitter postings during the show taking up 1/4 of the screen. The Tweets were mostly stupid things like "I love Mythbusters" or "I've been watching the show since it began. It's fab!". They were trying to be trendy but it simply felt like they were trying to overtly hard to be trendy.

They may have cut the budget now but truth is they've now alienated a huge chunk of their viewers. I suspect the show is pretty much on it's last legs. You rarely see a show do something this major and survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
It did seem that this was a last minute decision. Kari, Grant, and Tory did get a send off. But it seemed like it happened during post-production. It was announced during the final episode of the season and during the final minutes of the show. They got a montage but did not say anything onscreen.

The biggest thing that annoys me about the show is they take a half hour show and stretch it out to make an hour by repeating everything ad nauseam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Kari & Tory showed up on The Soup this week and were mentioned as being from Mythbusters - so I'd be surprised if they would send them out to do publicity right before cutting them from the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Both Kari & Tory showed up on The Soup this week and were mentioned as being from Mythbusters - so I'd be surprised if they would send them out to do publicity right before cutting them from the show.

Does seem odd, but it was an official announcement at the end of last night's episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:

No, it happens. I remember reading about something like this that happened to the cast for the TV show "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" back in the late '60s. The three principles were in the middle of a publicity tour for the next season of the show when they got the word that it had been cancelled. So they camped out in their hotel rooms, ordering expensive room service, whisky, and cigars until CBS executives actually arrived and told them directly that the show was over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Oh how far we've come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
They probably walked during contract negotiations, if I had to guess. Or they are getting their own show.

At the same time, they may still work at the shop, but are doing all background work and won't be on TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll watch whatever show they give to Kari in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant Imahara already has a side gig playing Hikaru Sulu on Star Trek Continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Grant Imahara already has a side gig playing Hikaru Sulu on Star Trek Continues.

Oh. Wow, well he should be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mb
I liked the three "newer" Mythbusters better when they were assistants, rather than featured presenters.
Not to say that the three of them didn't do some good bits, but when it was the five of them, all together, that's when it was really fun.
For the past few years it's as though it was two separate shows under the same title. You got the impression that Adam and Jamie were never even in the same building as Tory, Grant, and Kari.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My new science-y edutainment show is Going Deep with David Rees on NatGeo. I laugh 100x more than I ever did watching Mythbusters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Oh. Wow, well he should be just fine.

Thanks for your contribution Mr. Snarky! I know that it's a non-paying gig and I just wanted to throw out a link for others to discover. Imahara will probably have no problem finding paying jobs using his engineering and design skills. Just ask Geoff Peterson (who owes his existence to Imahara).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
I used to like the show, back before they got these three idiots...

So you only liked the first season?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
How long can you go on being the side-kicks? For all they have done, they're still the #2's of the show, and given that all three have had hosting gigs for other shows, it does seem like they either wanted to willingly branch out or were trying to be used for other things.

As it stands the well has REALLY run dry, perhaps for years now, when it comes to good myths to test, so I would expect Mythbusters to become something else entirely.

Who knows? It's been 10 years. Very few shows can say that. Even Mr Wizard's World only lasted 6 years.

Edit:

I guess the original run of Mr Wizard did last 14 years, fwiw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
They probably walked during contract negotiations, if I had to guess. Or they are getting their own show.

They got new contracts last year. From what I'm reading this happened very quick and they may not have been informed until sometime early this week. They were at the Emmys together on Sunday. I suspect the ratings for the show these last two months were the nail in the coffin.

They already moved the show to Saturday in hopes of improving ratings and it doesn't sound like it helped. The show it seems was drawing under 2m people per episode the last two months. I was shocked when I read how few people actually were watching the show now.

Quote:
At the same time, they may still work at the shop, but are doing all background work and won't be on TV.

I doubt they're going to go work at the shop. They'll likely get their own shows of some sort somewhere.

Keep in mind that Grant never worked for M-5. He was working for Industrial Light and Magic before joining Mythbusters (he was the guy behind the remote control R2-D2 in the prequal trilogy) and was recruited for the show to replace Scottie Chapman. Jamie couldn't afford him to just work in the shop. He likely couldn't afford any of them at this point.

All three of them are going to land on their feet somewhere and it won't be working in Jamie's shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Normally I loathe agreeing with you, but in this case...

Awww shucks. I have a fan? modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.