GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,248 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: gwek's projects - as of late Summer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you frequent the Variants boards, you may recognize my name and know that I’m working on a number of custom projects. Since a few are coming close to fruition, I wanted to take stock of what’s where and what’s next.

LOCAL COLOR

What is it? LOCAL COLOR is a deck of random events – some good, some very bad – and opportunities that can occur when you’re on a non-Supply planet. The finished product will be 42 cards (40 gameplay cards and 2 rules cards).

What’s the status? The deck is done. We ran beta for a month or more and feedback was positive. The art and design have been handled brilliantly by Corvin. You can find the beta test cards here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104815/local-color-pub...

What are the next steps? Since no changes have been made, you can print out Corvin’s cards, although I want to talk to him to get versions that can be put up on Artscow or similar sites.

ACES & EIGHTS

What is it? This was one of my initial projects to “get my feet wet.” The core of it is 25 supply cards (5 for each of Supply Planets from the original release), thematically based around the crew of the Aces & Eights from the SERENITY role-playing game.

The finished product will consist of about 40 cards (25 Supply Cards, 3 new Leaders, Wanted cards, and a few cards for house rules) and a new ship (the Aces & Eights).

You can find the current cards here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103936/playtesting-doc...

And the discussion thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1174022/please-help-play...

What’s the status? Probably about 90% done. Much of the deck has been ready for some time, but my card design buddy is still working on a template for Wanted cards.

What are the next steps? Wanted cards aside, I will now revisit the deck in light of the new material in BLUE SUN. I think this will impact two or three cards. Once those issues have been sorted out, there’s one other impediment: finessing the cards to make them ready for Artscow. Hopefully, this will all be complete sometime in September.

SHIP PACKS

What is it? Ship Packs are a series of small products centered around specific ships and their crews. Each will be 12 Cards (which will include a Leader, appropriate Crew and Gear, and Wanted Cards), a new ship, and probably a story card.

What’s the status? Three ship packs are at various stages of development: The White Lightning, The CanTankerous, and Huntingdon’s Bolt. As with Aces & Eights, some fine tuning or review is needed in the wake of BLUE SUN. Since these are one-off add-ons, status will be rolling. Threads for the current ship packs and the idea as a whole are listed below:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1212824/ship-packs-how-d...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1182154/white-lightning
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1183674/cantankerous
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1212800/huntingdons-bolt

What are the next steps? The cards for two of these are close to final, although the ships need some fine-tuning (and story cards need to be added). Reverend Killjoy did great mock-ups for the ship cards, and I’m hoping he’ll continue to!

It’s no accident that these are 12-card products and LOCAL COLOR and ACES & EIGHTS will probably be 42 each. 42 +12 = 54, and I’m sort of envisioning White Lighting printing with ACES & EIGHTS and CanTankerous with LOCAL COLOR. Not sure about Huntingdon’s Bolt.

The SERENITY RPG is starting to run a bit dry, so I’’ll be looking at other sources for future ships/crews. The crew of The Betty (from Alien: Resurrection) is pretty much already a lock, although it may get folded into THE BLACK MARKET (see below).

Other people are doing fantastic crews on the variants board, so I may even look into working with them and trying to package them. 4 ship packs would be 48 cards, so I could see a printed deck based around player characters from existing RPG campaigns, or a “sci fi spectacular” (including GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, FARSCAPE, and STAR WARS) or an “animated edition” (COWBOY BEBOP, TITAN A.E., the crew from RISE OF ATLANTIS…).

THE BLACK MARKET

What is it? When I started toying with custom cards, I initially created a bunch from two sources I consider to be compatible to Firefly in tone: ALIEN: RESURRECTION and the CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK franchise. Someone asked me what supply planets the cards should go with and that got me thinking about an entirely new deck, and a new concept.

Details are vague at this point, but THE BLACK MARKET will feature a Supply Deck that can be access through any supply planet, and possibly a Contact who can be reached in the same way. Captains can’t always find The Black Market, though, and will have to earn (or bribe) their way in. Most of the characters involved will be unsavory types or bounty hunters. This will likely be a bit more ambitious than ACES & EIGHTS.

What’s the status? I was originally holding off on this until PBH released (since many of the characters involved are pirates or bounty hunters) but it’s sort of fallen to the wayside as I work on other stuff. Once LOCAL COLOR and ACES & EIGHTS release, this will probably be my next major project.

You can find some early notes here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1121339/virtual-expansio...

What are the next steps? Sort of on hold until other projects complete and I have more time. Still, I’m really looking forward to revisiting these scumbag characters.

CAMPAIGN GUIDE

What is it? I’m not sure yet what form this would take, or even if this is one concept or two.

On one hand, I want to develop some ideas that would be used to enrich the game and make things more “complicated.” I’ve started a number of threads around ideas like this, but they all still need more consideration and development. Side quests, captains for hire/first mates and mutiny rules, disadvantages for leaders, and relationships among the crew are all on the list. Threads below:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1096580/side-quests
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1078803/captains-hire
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1207434/disadvantages-le...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1088489/relationships

On the other hand, I also like the idea of developing a campaign that continues from game to game. Distinct from Reverend Killjoy’s idea, this started out as a solo campaign idea (and might remain as such) and also would leverage existing story cards, although perhaps somewhat modified. One idea is to give each story a more robust finale (especially for a solo campaign) so that victory is not simply flipping over the last two or three cards and going “Yup. Won it.”

These ideas are somewhat modular, so, for example, if you like a robust ending, but don’t want to carry things over from game to game, you could do that. Some threads below for reference:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1078809/solo-campaign-id...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1159859/finales-existing...

What’s the status? Pretty loose. I’ll probably spend more time on it once Local Color and Aces & Eights are printed.

What are the next steps? Not clear just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McCormack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniela Siegesmund
Germany
Bad Schwartau
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very impressive indeed! I'm especially eager to get my hands at your Black Market deck. This sounds very promising!

If I can help in any way, just let me know. I'd be happy to contribute

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when ready for ArtsCow, please supply us with the link here...i'm def ordering and would love prof. quality cards to use with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
gwek wrote:

SHIP PACKS

What are the next steps? The cards for two of these are close to final, although the ships need some fine-tuning (and story cards need to be added). Reverend Killjoy did great mock-ups for the ship cards, and I’m hoping he’ll continue to!

The SERENITY RPG is starting to run a bit dry, so I’’ll be looking at other sources for future ships/crews. The crew of The Betty (from Alien: Resurrection) is pretty much already a lock, although it may get folded into THE BLACK MARKET (see below).

Once we have "official" final stats, the ship cards are a done deal. No worries, Mon!
As to the RPG, have you started mining the new Firefly RPG yet?

Killjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Epona Rhi wrote:
Very impressive indeed! I'm especially eager to get my hands at your Black Market deck. This sounds very promising!

If I can help in any way, just let me know. I'd be happy to contribute

Thanks! I'm always excited for feedback! I do this because I love it, but I also genuinely hope that other people will enjoy and use this stuff, so I want to hear what people think. Every one of these projects has been influence or changed by community feedback.

You can help by posting whenever there's new material. Honestly, I don't get to do multiplayer playtesting nearly as often as I'd like, and even when I do, I'm biased by my personal play style. More than once, folks have pointed out things that would not be a problem in "my" games, but could be troublesome -- or work better -- for other games.

On the tech side, one of the biggest challenges I'm facing is that I need to figure out how to get bleed zones to go with the various cards (I have at least 8-10 different card backgrounds). My cousin, Shawn (who is far more tech savvy than I) is on vacation and tool a list of "requests" with him (including this), so he may come back with things fixed. If not, that's one of the major impediments to printing right now.

Also, post your own stuff! Although I like to create my own material, I'm most on my game when I know there are other folks doing quality stuff too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patrick McCormack wrote:
Many thanks

Glad you're enjoying! Any favorites? I always like to know what people want more of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
when ready for ArtsCow, please supply us with the link here...i'm def ordering and would love prof. quality cards to use with the game!

Will do! As noted, one of the main impediments right now is adding bleed zones. I hope to have that resolved in a few weeks.

LOCAL COLOR is apparently laid out for professional printing, not the DIY sites. Corvin is hoping to resolve that over the next few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ReverendKilljoy wrote:
Once we have "official" final stats, the ship cards are a done deal. No worries, Mon!
As to the RPG, have you started mining the new Firefly RPG yet?

Killjoy

Great to hear, Killjoy! Thanks!

I actually don't have the new RPG yet. I wanted the core book in hard copy so I've been waiting -- for months! It just shipped yesterday. *sigh*

I'll probably get the modules as pdfs, though. Unfortunately, I just got a huge shipment of Star Wars RPG stuff yesterday (4 products) and still have a few books from the old Firefly RPG that I'm re-reading -- so who knows when I'll be caught up?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New playtesting document added here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103936/playtesting-doc...

Not sure how long approval will take. I posted appropriate comments in the individual threads, but this one includes Aces & Eights, White Lightning, CanTankerous, and Huntingdon's Bolt.

Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
gwek wrote:
New playtesting document ... Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated!

Some notes, comments, and questions:

1. Why does it list Kids as Wanted? Also, is there still a rule where kids gain experience, or was that junked to just make them free gear-carriers?

2. Devil- I still think Devil is over-powered. She has Medic, plus either grifter or the supposed-to-be-rare Companion, or both with the wardrobe, plus 2 skill? I know she's wanted, but the gear is common enough that she's a swiss-army crew. I would suggest keeping her as is, except reducing the skill to 1 at the current cost, making her an investment crew requiring gear to really pay off.

3. Kids- Ask me later about the Fagin character idea. Think that kids would be like Hillfolk, and Fagin gives them a skill bonus if you have a gang of kids...

4. Devil's Wardrobe- seems underpriced. I know there is variation in gear costs, with some buys better than others. This one gives two great keywords at 1000, while most good IDs or Duds run 800 each and take 2 slots for both. I suggest a balance cost of 1200-1400, maybe 1200 since it gives no skill bump.

5. Barker- I like the Barker, but would you consider making one a more "shady" Barker, with a cost of 100 and Wanted? Just a thought.

6. Hwa Ling still seems very complex in the mechanics, though I love the idea. Not sure how to fix, but don't give up on this one yet...

7. Suggestion for alternative Prayer Book. Keep on as-is ("Preaching to the Choir"), and make one (maybe with Imam in the picture?) targeted at the sinners ("Listen and Repent! Discard to remove disgruntled from all non-Moral crew"). I like the idea of complimentary options, and there are a few already in the game and in your expansions.

8. Shuttle- the mechanic still seems wordy/awkward. Also, "spend" vs. "spent." Maybe try "May be used to make delivery for a job if no Misbehave is required, without taking a work action."

9. Leland- Suggested text, "When you earn any bonus completing a non-crime job, take an additional $300." Great character!

10. China- Did we decide how wanted Leaders work? Perhaps remove the warrant and add, "Her ship must always be considered an Outlaw ship." Does she need an Aces and Eights logo too?

11. Andreas, to avoid double-disgruntle, which might not be intended, what about "After completing shore leave, roll a die: 1-2 A. is disgruntled, 4-6 A. is not disgruntled." I don't know, I'm not sure how to make it fool-proof, or at least fool-resistant.

12. Distillery Contract- I understand the Contraband, but why Fugitives? Doesn't seem thematically correct, or am I missing something?

13. Engine Room Still, should be "Engine-Room Still." Yes, I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you.

14. Masterwork Stash- does this work with Regina's extended stashes too?

15. Fulton- thought he was a Husker, with Hacking Rig as the keyword?

16. Reina- Still think she is over-powered. Is she really a Companion, or is she more like Emma and Lucy? Don't know the source material. I DO know there are a number of misbehave cards power-balanced based on the rarity of Companions...

17. Priscilla- see companion comment above. Also, 2 skill, Companion AND fake ID for no cost? This seems wildly out of kilter. She sits out immoral jobs. So what?

Overall- Great work. Original stuff is nice, the RPG materials seem well-thought out and nicely designed. Please continue your excellent work. Finally, if you include the ship stats, people can test them without waiting for the final "pretty" ship cards.

We appreciate your contributions to the community and to our games. Namaste!

Killjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReverendKilljoy wrote:
1. Why does it list Kids as Wanted? Also, is there still a rule where kids gain experience, or was that junked to just make them free gear-carriers?

Kid cards don't actually have the wanted symbol, so that looks like a typo in the stats.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
4. Devil's Wardrobe- seems underpriced.

Agreed.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
10. China- Did we decide how wanted Leaders work? Perhaps remove the warrant and add, "Her ship must always be considered an Outlaw ship."

That's a good fix.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
11. Andreas, to avoid double-disgruntle, which might not be intended, what about "After completing shore leave, roll a die: 1-2 A. is disgruntled, 4-6 A. is not disgruntled." I don't know, I'm not sure how to make it fool-proof, or at least fool-resistant.

He looks like an easy guy to double-disgruntle. I figure it makes sense that if you send him on Shore Leave you might not get him back.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
16. Reina- Still think she is over-powered. Is she really a Companion, or is she more like Emma and Lucy? Don't know the source material. I DO know there are a number of misbehave cards power-balanced based on the rarity of Companions...

The wording is confusing. My first read interpreted it as "If you have to do a Medic check on a Disgrunted crew and succeed, the crew is no longer Disgruntled." If she can play ship's moral booster that's different.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
17. Priscilla- see companion comment above. Also, 2 skill, Companion AND fake ID for no cost? This seems wildly out of kilter. She sits out immoral jobs. So what?

"Discard if you Work an Immoral job" would be more balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
selenite wrote:

ReverendKilljoy wrote:

He looks like an easy guy to double-disgruntle. I figure it makes sense that if you send him on Shore Leave you might not get him back.

Okay, if that's the intent, I get it.

selenite wrote:
ReverendKilljoy wrote:

The wording is confusing. My first read interpreted it as "If you have to do a Medic check on a Disgrunted crew and succeed, the crew is no longer Disgruntled." If she can play ship's moral booster that's different.

I just think we're trying to do too many things with this character. I'd either make her Companion + Medic but only 1 skill point, or make her a medic and add something like "Trained on Sihnon- may remove disgruntled from any crew with a medic check once per turn."

selenite wrote:
ReverendKilljoy wrote:

"Discard if you Work an Immoral job" would be more balancing.

That would be interesting, and justify the 0 cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! I saw the additional responses, but I'm replying to this message because it hits everything so far.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
gwek wrote:
New playtesting document ... Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated!

Some notes, comments, and questions:

Kids will, indeed, have a bounty (like Scrappers and Enforcers). With the introduction of Lawmen in PBH, I had expressed some concern that there might be too many free Crew. Someone responded that a balancing factor might be a Bounty, not because they're wanted, but because it was posted by someone unscrupulous. I liked the idea, and decided that it will actually be Blue Sun, offering a "reward" to any conscientious citizens who can sent poor orphans their way. Don't worry, though, the orphans will receive room, board, and the best education the Academy can afford...

As for the level-up idea, that was something that was discussed, but I didn't develop it myself. I think someone else did a "Rookie" card off a similar idea.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:

2. Devil- I still think Devil is over-powered. She has Medic, plus either grifter or the supposed-to-be-rare Companion, or both with the wardrobe, plus 2 skill? I know she's wanted, but the gear is common enough that she's a swiss-army crew. I would suggest keeping her as is, except reducing the skill to 1 at the current cost, making her an investment crew requiring gear to really pay off.

4. Devil's Wardrobe- seems underpriced. I know there is variation in gear costs, with some buys better than others. This one gives two great keywords at 1000, while most good IDs or Duds run 800 each and take 2 slots for both. I suggest a balance cost of 1200-1400, maybe 1200 since it gives no skill bump.

Okay, forget about the synergy for a minute -- are these two cards overpowered/underpriced ON THEIR OWN? I would say no, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Devil follow a pretty established model up to a point: in general, each skill point and keywords adds $100 to the cost, and Wanted reduces it -$100. Thus, before we get to the ability, she should be $200. Based on my study of existing cards, a conditional bonus (ie, one requiring Gear or a specific Crew configuration) should be "free" (most Crew cards factor in a "free" ability, unless the bonus is extreme, in which case the cost should go up $100.

Now, my math may be a little fuzzy because we're talking keywords vs skill points, but I don't think it's too far off. Again, remember that under normal circumstances, she would only benefit from one additional keyword at a time.

With respect to the Wardrobe, yes, it offers FANCY DUDS and FAKE ID, but, honestly, FANCY DUDS are practically a dine a dozen. Also important to note: no skill bonus. All existing Gear with either keyword also offers a +1 Talk bonus -- in addition to another minor ability.

Consider the Wardrobe to be a FAKE ID that offers you FANCY DUDS rather than +1 Talk (since it's the same price as "Bona Fide" Credentials). Is trading +1 Talk for FANCY DUDS a fair trade?

I'm not opposed to upping the cost a little, but if I recall correctly, last time around, people thought it would be overpriced at $1200!

Now, yes, there is obvious synergy between the two cards that can't be ignored, but I think they should be considered on their own merits first.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
5. Barker- I like the Barker, but would you consider making one a more "shady" Barker, with a cost of 100 and Wanted? Just a thought.

I did have two different versions at one point, but no one seemed to express a favorite, so I kept them both non-Wanted to save the need to make the Bounty card.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
6. Hwa Ling still seems very complex in the mechanics, though I love the idea. Not sure how to fix, but don't give up on this one yet...

If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to hear 'em! This was my "get it down on paper" draft.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
7. Suggestion for alternative Prayer Book. Keep on as-is ("Preaching to the Choir"), and make one (maybe with Imam in the picture?) targeted at the sinners ("Listen and Repent! Discard to remove disgruntled from all non-Moral crew"). I like the idea of complimentary options, and there are a few already in the game and in your expansions.

I MAY drop it down to one copy for now (it's potent enough that I considered just making it "Shepherd Book's Bible"). The gameplay issue with something specifically targeting non-Moral Crew is that it probably just means you didn't pay them. Remember, it's a lot easier for a Moral Crew member to get Disgruntled.

Having said that, I will probably deal a lot more with non-Moral Crew in THE BLACK MARKET.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
8. Shuttle- the mechanic still seems wordy/awkward. Also, "spend" vs. "spent." Maybe try "May be used to make delivery for a job if no Misbehave is required, without taking a work action."

I'll have to look at the existing version. I agree it's wordy, but I'm afraid to leave it ambiguous.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
9. Leland- Suggested text, "When you earn any bonus completing a non-crime job, take an additional $300." Great character!

Thanks! I'll probably leave the text as-is. Although I agree that your phrasing is more streamlined, this is modeled after the existing leader ability descriptions.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
10. China- Did we decide how wanted Leaders work? Perhaps remove the warrant and add, "Her ship must always be considered an Outlaw ship." Does she need an Aces and Eights logo too?

Yeah, thing with China Malone and Doc Steele is this -- I love 'em enough that I threw them in for playtesting for fun! To be honest, the original reason I added them was that I was printing mock-up cards for a few games, and I had space for two more cards. I though they would be good to throw into the mix!

There's no real room to remove the Warrant (although maybe I'll change the color or something to distinguish it) and add the text. Also, my intention is that there will be other Wanted captains in the future.

My default during limited playtesting has been "Begin play with one Warrant. Your ship is always considered an Outlaw ship."

I'm not sure if that's enough, though. I've been considering if it's worth making it harder to avoid Alliance detection for Wanted Crew who run into the Cruiser (basically, by association with China, they are presumed guilty and therefore looked at in more detail).

ReverendKilljoy wrote:

Nope. That's exactly the intention. That he might come back from Shore Leave in worse condition that he went out in. Note that if you're playing with the White Lightning Crew, you can use Jinny to get around this with Family Dinner. It might also pay to have a Morale Booster aboard to distract him from his liquor.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
12. Distillery Contract- I understand the Contraband, but why Fugitives? Doesn't seem thematically correct, or am I missing something?

I just figured they're into all kinds of shady business, but you may be right.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
13. Engine Room Still, should be "Engine-Room Still." Yes, I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you.

As a professional editor/writer married to an English teacher, I'd agree -- except that the cards seem to have an established house rule that does not require the comma.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
14. Masterwork Stash- does this work with Regina's extended stashes too?

Sure. It modifies any Stash you have.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
15. Fulton- thought he was a Husker, with Hacking Rig as the keyword?

Yes, and then I realized how silly the term "husker" was. It only appears in the RPG, and is inconsistent with the term HACKing rig...

ReverendKilljoy wrote:

She is an actual Companion who has been trained as a Companion (I believe since she was young) and who also went to medical school. She's the real deal.

Again, she follows a somewhat established pricing scheme: $100 per skill or keyword ($400) - $100 for Moral, with a conditional ability.

Here's an interesting fact: most of the Medics and Companions in the game are underpriced, a few of them aggressively so.

Compare her to Sheydra, in the new set, who apparently has 2 Talk, 1 Tech, Companion, Fancy Duds, and the reverse of Stitch's ability -- for $300! She doesn't even seem to be Moral!

ReverendKilljoy wrote:

Here's what I find a little funny about folks having problems with Priscilla's pricing: Priscilla = Shepherd Book.

Seriously, with two exceptions, they identical. He has Talk/Fight vs her Talk/Talk, and he's a Solider vs her Companion.

So, it really comes down to the question of whether Fight + Soldier is better or worst than Talk + Companion. I suspect you'll probably point to the 4 Misbehave Cards with Companion as an Ace, and that's something to consider, but that's not the whole picture.

Again, I'll point out that all three official companions are aggressively priced. Also important to be aware of: during Crew construction, GF9 seems to value Fight over the other abilities. In fact, I would say Fight > Tech > Talk, at least with respect to how much Cost each translates into. If you compare all the Crew who have 2 of the same skill, those with 2 Fight cost $100 more than their counterparts with 2 Tech or 2 Talk, all other factors being equal.

Maybe I've just over analyzed the numbers, though.

I hope the responses don't come off as argumentative -- in most of the extreme cases, I'm just trying to outline the thought process.

All feedback is much appreciated!

As you note, the ships should be included. When I update next, I'll add them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
gwek wrote:

I hope the responses don't come off as argumentative -- in most of the extreme cases, I'm just trying to outline the thought process.

No worries. This posting format is not ideal for complex threading conversations with multiple posters. Nothing I commented on was personal or a deal breaker, and nothing that would stop me from including the material in my game if I ever get them printed.

On the subject of verbiage, I guess I am just more comfortable than some about making the cards sound the way I want, rather than hewing to the guidelines of the published cards. I'd edit more than a few official cards, given my druthers...

Anyway, Priscilla: I guess the companion thing is a sticking point for me, since we made it quite a way into fleshing out the verse with rather rare companions, and now they are popping up even in official products. I think it's shifting the misbehave ratios, and unless they plan on adding new misbehaves soon, it can have ripple effects.

I also think Book in underpriced, and would point to the mad dash to get him which always ensues when he shows up in my games.

Last thing- what kind of organizer do you use for all your kit? I just built a box expansion and card tray deal with foamcore, inspired by The Esoteric Order of Gamers page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204818107555214....
I wanted something with room for our dinosaur, Melvin.

Last, last thing- tweaking the campaign game Volumes I and II, and prototyping game flow for III and IV. The Earth-that-Was collector arc, which has you searching motherlode to Priam for Action Comics #1, and infiltrating the Alliance Cruiser to steal Harken's Coke Classic, is shaping up nicely. It's a 9-episode arc currently. Will keep you posted.

Keep flying,
Killjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Just for fun, a little something to go with your Kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whitaker
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need a hand with ArtsCow, I've done multiple card desks for TFL's I Ain't Been Shot Mum and Sharp Practice games, and am getting pretty good at deck building.

(Just as soon as I'm back from vacation next week, anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ReverendKilljoy wrote:
On the subject of verbiage, I guess I am just more comfortable than some about making the cards sound the way I want, rather than hewing to the guidelines of the published cards. I'd edit more than a few official cards, given my druthers...

Oh, I'd love to go to town on the whole thing with a red pen... but part of the fun for me is making something that is as close to indistinguishable from the "real thing" as possible -- and that includes the mistakes!

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
Anyway, Priscilla: I guess the companion thing is a sticking point for me, since we made it quite a way into fleshing out the verse with rather rare companions, and now they are popping up even in official products. I think it's shifting the misbehave ratios, and unless they plan on adding new misbehaves soon, it can have ripple effects.

You bring up some interesting points that bear discussion.

First, I don't think introducing more of a rare resource like Companions "shifts the Misbehave ratio" -- as long as the proportion of the resource remains relatively constant.

Consider: In the Core game, there are 125 supply cards. 4 of them have the Companion keyword. That's 4-in-125, or 3.2%.

Adding in Breakin' Atmo and Pirates and Bounty Hunters, there are now 180 Supply Cards, but no new Companions, so the rarity is 4-in-180 (or 1 in 45), or 2.2%, a significant drop.

Blue Sun adds 2 more Companions (if we count Lenore), but also 25 new Supply cards, so we're now at 6-in-205, or 2.9% -- still marginally less than the core game.

But it's not all that simple, is it? Because there's also the chance of finding something in each individual location. We can see that better with a different limited resource, I think. In the Core game, there were 5 Mechanics at Persephone, so they made up 20% of that Supply deck. So 1 in 5 Persephone Cards as a mechanic. With the introduction of PBH and BA (with no new Mechanics here), it's now less than 1-in-7 (a drop from 20% to 13.3%). The fact that a new Mechanic appears at Meridian, or that there are 2 others at Regina, helps the game overall, but doesn't increase your chances of finding one at Persephone.

Numbers are going to fluctuate up and down as the game progresses -- and are actually a way to help flavor the tone of things. It's no accident, I think, that Blue Sun introduces no new Pilots, because Pilots make it easier to travel (especially through Border and Rim space) and the game is about the DANGERS of Border and Rim space.

Now, it gets even more complicated with fan stuff, because we don't want to care about the numbers too much. The game designers throw in things like Expendable Gun Hands and a fistful of Scrappers to reduce the likelihood of stumbling across the valuable characters (I call them "consolation prizes" -- I didn't pull Inara, but I did find Bridgit and The Interrogator...).

Unless designing a full set, we generally want to work with the interesting and fun stuff, and that means that some of those rare resources get out-of-proportion boosts. With my stuff, that's far more apparent with the Ship Packs, for example, than Aces & Eights -- where I CAN reduce the numbers with things like Kids and Barkers.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
I also think Book in underpriced, and would point to the mad dash to get him which always ensues when he shows up in my games.

Again, another good point. In character design, there's something I call "the Star Factor."

When I was breaking down existing Crew to find my (admittedly imperfect) formula, I found that all of the Crew of Serenity were underpriced, which was not a surprise. But so where a few others (I think Lund and Saffron and another one or two). Similarly, in Breakin' Atmo, there's a Crew or two who break the mold, and the same holds true of PBH (Chari and The Guardian, definitely). (Similarly, there are a few who aren't normally worth their cost, but forget about that for a minutes).

I believe the flexibility of design is intentional. I don't remember how it breaks down, but let's say 80% of Crew are at a certain "power level," with 10% better and 10% worse. Gale Force 9 is probably going to maintain those proportions to keep ongoing balance, or else some older Crew eventually become obsolete or complete in demand. For example, Simon is a fantastic Medic. But, all things being equal, I'd probably rather have The Guardian these days (unless I have River). And the brilliance of the deck design is that if I want a Medic, I now how two stong options: I can go to Persephone and hope that I pull Simon, and will probably pull some great random stuff along the way, or I can go to Osiris and try for The Guardian... but maybe I'll only end up with a consolation prize of a Med Staff... That's why I try to pick very carefully what supply deck each card would go into.

I'm probably overthinking all this.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
Last thing- what kind of organizer do you use for all your kit? I just built a box expansion and card tray deal with foamcore, inspired by The Esoteric Order of Gamers page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204818107555214....
I wanted something with room for our dinosaur, Melvin.

I'm low rent. Right now, everything is shoved into the core game and PBH boxes. I know that's going to change when I get Blue Sun, but I'm not sure how. I may eventually put all cards in long card box and most of the rest in some sort of folder. Or maybe maintain the core box.

ReverendKilljoy wrote:
Last, last thing- tweaking the campaign game Volumes I and II, and prototyping game flow for III and IV. The Earth-that-Was collector arc, which has you searching motherlode to Priam for Action Comics #1, and infiltrating the Alliance Cruiser to steal Harken's Coke Classic, is shaping up nicely. It's a 9-episode arc currently. Will keep you posted.

Very cool. Sounds like a lot of fun! I look forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'm probably overthinking all this.

Yes, but it's entertaining so please keep sharing your overthoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope it's entertaining in an educational way rather than a "he's a d-bag" way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'm low rent. Right now, everything is shoved into the core game and PBH boxes. I know that's going to change when I get Blue Sun, but I'm not sure how. I may eventually put all cards in long card box and most of the rest in some sort of folder. Or maybe maintain the core box.

When we played at GenCon (and had limited time for set-up and break-down) I found you could fit all of the base set+PBH into the basic box. I think I could have done it with Breaking Atmo too. It meant no bags or neatly stacked pieces and the ships were just kind of 'dumped' into the mix.

SIDE NOTE: I told my wife this and she actually shivered in revulsion. In a flat voice she stared me in the eye and said "We are keeping the bags".

Anyways, It is doable to get everything in a single box (without Blue Sun...that puts it over). I mentioned the "joke" about the 2016 "all-in" collector set that they would eventually release and they looked as if they honestly hadn't considered it. Maybe they are now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really hope they DO consider it -- and if they didn't before, Dave, I think you should get a free copy for bringing it up. I want credit for being one of the first (if not the first) to mention it.

I think if I remove all my custom cards I can fit the base game, PBH, and BA in the main game box. If not, it's really close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
And now with the Blue sun expansion, the bcw card sorting trays are not large enough either.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
True.

Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
HarleighDhai wrote:
And now with the Blue sun expansion, the bcw card sorting trays are not large enough either.......

That's why I like my foamcore expansion insert for storage: it "stretched" the original box and got rid of the flimsy plastic insert, with room for all my cards, pieces IN BAGS (Howdy, MrsDave!), and Melvin the dinosaur. And the "footprint" of the box is still the same, it's just taller.

Now, it does NOT help with gameplay. Considering making a 4x6' or 4x8' board, covered in playmat neoprene, marked off for the maps, decks, and ship cards, with 6 defined player stations. The whole thing will slide over my coffee table top. Just waiting until the map extensions are both out.

Killjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.