GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: what happens if turntimers for players expire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
muthrali the relentless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hail all,

While reading the forum i noticed some of you use some sort of maximum time rule for player turns, in order to speed up time. I was wondering, what happens if that maximum time expires? I mean,I know most use it so that the turn ends, but how do you prevent exploiting that rule? I can see situations where players (openly/secretly) use this to not have to do anything in order to get the last action, for example?

Do you perhaps use a penalty system? Like, after the timer runs out, you have to pay a command counter, or?

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply, make it if he does not get his action done you stop him and pass.
For example he is building units and does not finish, time runs out, the units he said are build-ed and that is. If he moves, same what he was able to move moved, else ended.
Battle you can let it play out.
If he just does nothing and sits too long, time out, mean he must play his SC if not already played, else pass for rest of game.
But i never run into problems with players taking too long, i like the game too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
muthrali the relentless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. I think we would never use this system, we take the occasional analysis paralysis for what it's worth, but it is Always good to keep tips and tricks in mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerTer wrote:

So now I can get the Yssaril pass with every race?

No, that doesn't remotely work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
muthrali wrote:
Ah, thanks. I think we would never use this system, we take the occasional analysis paralysis for what it's worth, but it is Always good to keep tips and tricks in mind

I personally strive to get people planning BEFORE it is their move. In a game of TI3 with numerous players this can be done. If you play some other game one on one, it is mostly the case that the next move depends strongly on what your opponent does, so analysis paralysis can happen (and is very funny in that case). But for a multi-player game like TI3 this can and should be avoided. Downtime for other players could grow very large otherwise.

Cheers, Olav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
TerTer wrote:

So now I can get the Yssaril pass with every race?

No, that doesn't remotely work.

No... He passes period.. End of turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play TI at conventions and meetups. Usualy get a 6 player game in under 5 hours.

During the action phase each player has a 5 minute timer. The 5 minute timer is started when a players turn begins and stops at the end of thirr one action.

The timer stops / pauses for complex functions such as combat that involve a second player.

This forces players to plan out thing on other players turns, period. No more waiting for you to decide what to build...you should know this.

When your 5 minute timer reaches 0... Your done... Pass.. No more actions.

Players who dont like this are free to leave the table... Have had none do it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that using sarcasm and ridicule to harass my opponents until they finally take their damn turns works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
AxleKerrigan wrote:
I find that using sarcasm and ridicule to harass my opponents until they finally take their damn turns works pretty well.

Sure, while planning your move you have to take care of that as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find most players take as much time as they need, but rarely exceed that, and that's fine. I don't like being hurried, and neither do they.

It takes as long as it takes, and we're doing it for enjoyment, not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
I find most players take as much time as they need, but rarely exceed that, and that's fine. I don't like being hurried, and neither do they.

It takes as long as it takes, and we're doing it for enjoyment, not work.

You are correct, In my home games, absolutely we all BS for 12 hours..

I guess the above examples i posted were directly related to slotted time windows in a Con or Event type environment where players need to get their shit done quickly without out waste of time to the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

I guess the above examples i posted were directly related to slotted time windows in a Con or Event type environment where players need to get their shit done quickly without out waste of time to the other players.

That's fair, but also why I wouldn't play in that environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
muthrali wrote:
Hail all,

While reading the forum i noticed some of you use some sort of maximum time rule for player turns, in order to speed up time. I was wondering, what happens if that maximum time expires? I mean,I know most use it so that the turn ends, but how do you prevent exploiting that rule? I can see situations where players (openly/secretly) use this to not have to do anything in order to get the last action, for example?

Do you perhaps use a penalty system? Like, after the timer runs out, you have to pay a command counter, or?

-M

Timers are really not required. Passing someone early can ruin a game.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole point of the time clock is to force the players to move quickly. No one is actually supposed to run out of time. In timed chess if you run out of time you just straight-up lose...

The only modification I would make is that when I player runs out of time I would require them to use their strategy card if they haven't, and then pass on future turns. It doesn't seem right that you can deny players use of the 2ndary ability of the strategy card you took by running out the clock.

Knowing that game clocks are used at convention games makes me much more interested in playing in a convention game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muthrali wrote:
Hail all,

-M

We use Mulligan Cards for "Do-Overs / Take Backs" (there are restrictions on their use, but I won't detail them here, each player gets 2 Mulligan Cards at the start of the game, they have only 2 for the entire game).

First offense at going over the 3-minute time limit, burn a Mulligan Card for 3 additional minutes, we re-set the 3-minute timer. You are allowed to do this on purpose; ie, "I'm going to burn 1 of my Mulligan Cards to get 3 extra minutes."

Second offense, or no remaining Mulligan Cards, forfeit 1 Command Counter during the next Game Round. Third offense, forfeit 2 Command Counters during the next game round, and forfeit all action and political cards. These penalties change slightly every game, the group decides before we start what the penalties will be...but...we have never actually had to impose them.

To repeat, we have never actually had to impose any of these penalties because players watch the timer and take their full 3 minutes, then make their decision. We start 8-player games at around 11:00am, and finish [14] VP TLW games by 7-8pm all the time.

If we had to impose these penalties more than two or three times on a particular player we would discourage this player from playing TI3, we have never had to do this.

We have lots of new players, 1st time players, playing in practically every game...the 3-minute timer has never been an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
re above, you could also give out time slot cards every round? so instead of having 2 at the start, give out 1 every strategy phase?

Also i would assume that late game you may need to bump up the time to like 5 minutes instead of 3? just because of the complexity is increased due to players getting closer to winning and more to take in.

actually not bad suggestions here, could be worth doing in a big game where we need to keep things moving. i quite like the forced SC use and Pass, also like the CC forfeit/AC forfeit idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.