GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » AWOL

Subject: Dress Code rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
My Hero!

The White House Gives Up on Making Coders Dress Like Adults

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/the-white-house-dickerson/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
My Hero!

The White House Gives Up on Making Coders Dress Like Adults

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/the-white-house-dickerson/

In the late eighties I was the first guy who went to work in a jeans in the IT department of a local bank - I still had to wear a tie though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I think the folks who coded HealthCare.gov should be wearing orange. (Wink.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing! For those of us who had to code in a suit & tie for far too long, this is good to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they still have to shave and shower? That must be a tough adjustment for many. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
I think the folks who coded HealthCare.gov should be wearing orange. (Wink.)

Badda-bing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the title I thought you were referring to the uniform of white short-sleeve shirt, black tie and trousers worn by the members of the "Spartan International Competition League", said shirt to be festooned with patches and badges won by players in previosu conventions.
This was from the days of competitive gaming clubs and the oh-so-serious business of wargaming.

I have seen a photo of an old convention with a number of these characters standing around watching a game of Afrika Korps being played, but I can't find it on the net.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=104183

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a software engineer, I definitely observed an East Coast / West Coast factor in how people had to dress for work. I'd never seen a software guy wearing a tie until I made a trip back east to IBM Burlington. Then there was a guy I worked with who took a job with GE and moved back to Ohio or wherever, and one of things he mentioned afterwards was that he had to wear a coat and tie to work every day. There's a big company / small company factor, but the biggest difference from what I've seen is regional / cultural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Casillo
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
Do they still have to shave and shower? That must be a tough adjustment for many. whistle

Now why did you have to go and bring wargamers into this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got something against empty suits, Wilhammer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
fambans wrote:
You got something against empty suits, Wilhammer?

OMFG, YES!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
West Greenwich
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
Amazing! For those of us who had to code in a suit & tie for far too long, this is good to see.

Yeah! I remember building up a collection of Civil War ties and then the notice came down that slacks and and a sports shirt were fine. Still have the ties but rarely wear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
conky wrote:

what makes you so "special"?
Although even the president is slumming it with no tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sevigny
United States
Washington
D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked at a very large company with a very rigid suit/tie dress code years ago. There were Senior Vice Presidents, people who had literally thousands of people under them on the org chart, who thought it was a good use of their time to go up to very junior staff in the cafeteria and yell at them for not having their suit coat on during lunch.

That very large company was run into the ground by its management team and no longer exists. Weird, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
When I saw the title I thought you were referring to the uniform of white short-sleeve shirt, black tie and trousers worn by the members of the "Spartan International Competition League", said shirt to be festooned with patches and badges won by players in previosu conventions.
This was from the days of competitive gaming clubs and the oh-so-serious business of wargaming.

I have seen a photo of an old convention with a number of these characters standing around watching a game of Afrika Korps being played, but I can't find it on the net.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=104183

Brian

I remember seeing a picture of those guys in my then current issue of the AH General and thinking "wow, I'm a wargamer who wouldn't fit in that group photo".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have to wear a suit (yet) but I do have to wear dress pants, dress shirt and a f$c¤ing tie to work everyday. A tie is the most useless piece of clothing ever invented, it has no practical purpose and does nothing but get in the way. In fact the only thing it does is say look at me, I have a tie on, I'm important. I understand the need to look professional and stand out so customers know who is managing but I think all of this could be done without a frickin necktie.

Whomever invented the tie ought to be hung with one!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've worn shorts to work everyday (except for the first 2 and 1 time I had to go in an area that required long pants) for 14 years.

I once wore a halloween costume to a party that involved long pants. It was the first time my coworkers had ever seen me in long pants.

One of the great things about Portland is that is pretty much nowhere that you can't get away with a nice shirt and slacks (or even shorts, if you are me).

Ok, I wear a tie and pants to weddings and funerals (and on XMAS and Easter). I'd wear a suit if I still had one that fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
As a software engineer, I definitely observed an East Coast / West Coast factor in how people had to dress for work. I'd never seen a software guy wearing a tie until I made a trip back east to IBM Burlington. Then there was a guy I worked with who took a job with GE and moved back to Ohio or wherever, and one of things he mentioned afterwards was that he had to wear a coat and tie to work every day. There's a big company / small company factor, but the biggest difference from what I've seen is regional / cultural.

The Oatmeal agrees...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeseph McCarthy
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="paul7e"
That very large company was run into the ground by it's management team and no longer exists. Weird, huh?
[/q]

I company I worked for for 25 years went belly up because moronic managers lacked focus, and this was in a business where you pretty much had to commit suicide in order to fail (OTC Pharmaceuticals). Your management team lacked focus.

I love your black kitty avatar. We have 3 black kittys, and every kitty I've ever owned has been black.

Mogadeet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Somebody should render a 'cartoon' depicting a 'Lemonade Stand'-(or akin for this) with the caption: "Hey! even WE're: Bigger than U.S. Steel; now too!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Waterloo on the table instead of Afrika Korps, but this may be close enough for horseshoes:

If I didn't know about Spartan, my caption would have been along the lines of "they had security guards at the Con, and the guards got to play?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the picture!
I did mix up the games.
Thanks Sphere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
egg_salad wrote:
...(or even shorts, if you are me).

Hey, if you have the legs for 'em...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter..however I dress I still look like a walking sack of spuds with a 'BB 35 USS Texas' cap on top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleTanoose wrote:
conky wrote:

Yeah! I remember building up a collection of Civil War ties and then the notice came down that slacks and and a sports shirt were fine. Still have the ties but rarely wear them.

You should break the Civil War tie out for Unity this coming year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.