Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mogwahh
United Kingdom
Worcester
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was listening to a podcast by nova squadron radio and they mentioned a game play they used based on the book/film "The Hunger Games" which sounded awesome. Here's what I can remember
Ideal for multiple players
21 point ships
Each ship starts on any edge of the board
"Goodies in the middle (eg upgrades, turrets cannons etc)
Last one surviving wins!!!

Sounds like a blast.
So here's my question is anyone familiar with this game play or where I can get the rules?
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a style for this. Check out the conversation here http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16513496.

If you're interested in the Nova rule set I would just message them on facebook. They are really responsive and great to talk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here are the official rules to the Hunger games, I will be in attendance and it looks really fun.

You have been chosen to represent your district in the X-Wing “Hunger Games!”
The GOAL is to be the last man standing – no points for second place!

Your OPPONENTS will be everyone else on the table.

OBSTACLES will be put forth by the game maker during the battle.

REWARDS can help you offensively and defensively.

ALLIANCES are encouraged. Talk to your friends before the game starts and work together to defeat your enemies. Just remember that at some point, your ally WILL turn on you. How well do you really trust him/her?

FRIENDLY SHIPS - Since you can create alliances, you can also choose who is a friendly ship. This means you can use abilities that will help other players.

Each player will get 21 points to spend on 1 Non-Unique Small Ship Pilot (as shown in the table below). Large Ships and upgrade cards are not allowed.

In the cornucopia (in the center of the map), you will have a chance to gain some really great upgrades to help you defeat your opponents. However, entering the cornucopia may mean placing yourself in a bad position. Are the upgrades worth the risk?

The last ship standing will win the event. The winner of each “Hunger Games” event will receive a first round bye in the NOVA Open Championship on Saturday.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this scenario format.

However:

pitsch911 wrote:
The winner of each “Hunger Games” event will receive a first round bye in the NOVA Open Championship on Saturday.

That strikes me as a horrible idea. It's gimmicky, it rewards players for the wrong things and it skews the tournament results. The whole point of a tournament is to play your best, right? Now here's a way to play less (which somehow translates to playing better) just because you showed up and did well in some other event which -- let's be real about this -- is likely to be determined by luck more than skill. You're going to let the outcome of a scenario like this affect the outcome of a championship?

Getting a first-round bye is a bad idea, period. I don't like that FFG does it for official events, but at least it makes a little more sense there since the conditions under which you win that bye are similar to the conditions under which you will benefit from it later. NOVA sounds like a big deal -- I love the podcast -- but I'm going to have a really tough time caring about the championship results when they come up on the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sounds like a neat idea, but I don't get the 21 point chart.... You say I can't get upgrades, so if I get a PS1 tie fighter for 12 points, what can I spend the other 9 points on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
This sounds like a neat idea, but I don't get the 21 point chart.... You say I can't get upgrades, so if I get a PS1 tie fighter for 12 points, what can I spend the other 9 points on?

You haven't missed anything. You run a naked Academy Pilot in this format at your own peril.

I've been running X-Wing combat races allowing each player to field a squad of up to 40 points of non-unique ships (any number of ships that you can afford), and allowing non-unique upgrades. If a ship doesn't have an elite talent slot, it can purchase one for 2 points. I'd probably do something similar for a Hunger Games (last ship standing) sort of event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds kind of fun to me, just play and have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So here's a thought... arrange the upgrades in rings, from low powered on the outermost ring to highest power in the center. Say you start with a 4' circle. put a ring of 1 and 2 point upgrade cards in a 3' circle. Then put in a ring of 3-4 point cards at the 2' ring, then maybe put the large asteroid in the center. Then put some 5+ point upgrades around the asteroid... possibly even tuck them a little under the asteroid to make it harder to pick them up devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
So here's a thought... arrange the upgrades in rings, from low powered on the outermost ring to highest power in the center. Say you start with a 4' circle. put a ring of 1 and 2 point upgrade cards in a 3' circle. Then put in a ring of 3-4 point cards at the 2' ring, then maybe put the large asteroid in the center. Then put some 5+ point upgrades around the asteroid... possibly even tuck them a little under the asteroid to make it harder to pick them up devil

That is along the same lines I was just thinking. I like adding another level put the upgrades face down and under an obstacle or asteroid. You have to take the risk to pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm thinking of going with is putting some of the container tokens out in the middle. The upgrade cards would be in a stack on the side of the table. If you are in range 1 of them you roll a die and on a hit you get a card and on a crit you can choose the card you want. If you land on the container, you are guaranteed an upgrade card but you can still roll a crit to get to pick your card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone considered using the prototype tokens from the imperial aces scenario?

Also maybe you gain upgrades from people you kill? or a token drops where someone is destroyed representing their upgrade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueLieutenant wrote:
Has anyone considered using the prototype tokens from the imperial aces scenario?
Great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Facey Food
msg tools
We tried this out on a 4ft circular board. It worked great for 4 players. We used the little green mission tokens and object tokens from the core set. 2 sets worth. We played that you had to either land on the token or your template had to pass through it to gain a card. Once a token was used it came off the board. Each player took turns placing tokens, which was fun. Some got placed right near the edge of the board, others were placed on asteroids and most were out in the open. I think next time we will use 2 sets of asteroids since the board is large enough to accommodate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
These are rules I've thought about today. They are meant to encourage actually getting upgrade cards and making ships more powerful throughout the game. Let me know what you think:

Each squad MUST be 3 ships, up to 65 points. Large based ships are not allowed. No ship may have upgrade cards. You can pick any 3 ships you like, even if they are of different factions.

Each player's squad will enter from a random edge. Ships must be placed within Range 1 of each other.

Ships without upgrade cards (all ships that enter the game) have 1 less attack than is stated on their ships cards to a minimum of "1" (e.g.- X-Wings will have 2 attack die, Tie Fighters 1, HWK 1).

In the center of the board will be number tokens from the core set, the tokens will correspond to upgrade cards on the side of the board.

Players can use an action to "pick up" upgrade cards within Range1 of their ship. Players can pick up any upgrade card they choose but may only use cards that their ship is permitted to use (e.g. Interceptors could pick up Astromech Droids, but cannot use them.) Once a ship has an upgrade card, even if they cannot use said upgrade, their attack dice revert to normal.
***Exception: Any ship may use secondary weapons so long as they have an ability to to do so. e.g. - X-Wings can use missiles, B-Wings may use Ion Turrets. Tie Fighters can pick up Proton Torpedoes but lack a Target Lock ability, thus will be unable to fire them. HOWEVER, if the Tie Fighter could get a Target Lock, say, from Dutch Vandar, the Tie Fighter could use the Proton Torpedoes.

When an upgrade is taken from the board, another will take its place.

Players can take as many upgrades as slots available on their ship + 1 Modification + 1 Secondary weapon + 1 additional (e.g. - Black Squadron pilot could theoretically have Marksmanship (Elite Ability), Stealth Device (Modification), Cluster Missiles (Secondary Weapon) and R2-D2 even though he cannot use R2-D2's ability.)

Any ship destroyed will leave behind their upgrade cards. A number token will be left behind the ship and the card will be assigned a corresponding number token. This upgrade card can now be picked up. If a ship had multiple upgrade cards on it, all those cards are assigned a single token, and can be picked up at once.

Ships can pick up upgrade cards at anytime. If they have too many they can choose which to discard.

Abilities that target friendly ships can be given to anyone. For instance, Garven Dreis can give his Focus to whomever he likes, even other players. Roark can make anyone he wishes a PS12.

Last one with one surviving ship, wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Last night we played a variant using the rules I posted above. We had five players. I began by setting up 8 number tokens in the middle of the board, surrounded by asteroids. These tokens represented upgrades on the side of the board. Then I placed a marker at 5 points around the edges, every player had to place their ships within Range 1 of those markers. We rolled 2D6 and the highest rollers got to pick where they started on the board. Setup looked like this:

It all starts so orderly

We took turns in a clockwise fashion to keep the game moving. We still used Pilot Skill, but when determining initiative it was simply based on where we started. For movement, we began with Player 1 and counted up, then for combat we began with player 5 and counted down. This seemed to work alright and kept the game moving.

Things quickly turn into a cluster.

With the rules that any ship can take a secondary weapon, things got interesting quick. Due to my placement, my Black Squadron pilot wound up with a Heavy Laser Cannon on turn 1. We had B-Wings and Tie Interceptors with Ion Cannon Turrets. And a Y-Wing with a Stealth Device, which actually lasted for 2 turns!

All in all it went better than expected. 5 players, 15 ships, 325 points in ships alone on the board, and we got through it in 2.5 hours. Five players seemed a good number too, just the right amount of chaos to make things interesting.

I think the rule that your attack dice are reduced by 1 until you get an upgrade card worked better than expected, it compelled people to go into the center and not dawdle around the edges.

All in all I liked this format. The only thing that we thought we could do better was the placement of upgrades, rather than the four columns of two I created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of a necro, but we played this variant yesterday and had a blast with it. There were eight pre-selected ships with an assigned pilot skill (designated by one of the squad number tokens). We drew numbers to determine draft order and chose ships. We had four supply points and a central cornucopia on a debris cloud, each offering a random upgrade of a specific type. You could only have one upgrade of each type save for Hull and Shield Upgrades (but could swap out for a new upgrade of an existing type). Anyone who was destroyed came back into play the second Activation phase after leaving the game, but could not win, and their attacks were determined at random from among their available targets (to prevent kingmaking). Whoever destroyed them had roll to see if they could loot an upgrade. Finally, random events occurred at the beginning if each combat phase: a gravity surge would force ships to barrel roll, energy surges forced boosts, ion storms caused ion attacks, etc.

We had an Interceptor, Headhunter, B-Wing, A-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE/fo, and TIE Bomber. I took the bomber after the B and Y were gone due to its high hull value. Then I managed to snag two Hull Upgrades (one by looting a destroyed opponent) and two Shield Upgrades. It came down to me and the A-Wing. I had one hull left and was right in his arc, but he landed on an asteroid and couldn't shoot me. The next turn, I did a hard 3 that got me out of his arc and out of range of everyone else, and he got taken out, giving me the win.

It was a ton of fun, and we had three new players who were sold in the game thanks to the experience. It's a great variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls