GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: At the game store- race for the galaxy vs splendor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi
At the game store right now, going to buy a gift for a gamer couple my wife and I are going to visit this weekend who love Settlers and now are super addicted to Dominion. They are very smart and have recently gotten interested in diplomacy, but mostly play one-on-one or with other couples.

Debating Race for the Galaxy vs. Splendor. I know the former well and think it will be great for them. But worried it could be too redundant with dominion and also the game store does not have any expansions in stock. Noticed they do have Splendor, which looks very Dominionish and we could all learn quickly this weekend. Worried it isn't as good in the long run as RftG tho, so not as good a gift

What do you think? Tell me quick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd buy both to cover all opportunities! Although I must admit that RftG will probably have a much longer lifespan than Splendor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bockelman
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor is very simple. I like it a lot, but it is pretty much just an engine building game. It's not a deep game, but there are tactical decisions that are pretty important.

I would say if you think they would like something more complicated, go with RftG. For a solid game with simple rules, pick up Splendor.

They are both good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And neither is anything like Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ended up choosing splendor for three reasons -
1) I really want to try it
2) we only have ~40 hours to hang out and will likely only have a few hours to play games. Figured we can learn and get into Splendor quickly and easily this weekend
3) I want to get them RftG with Gathering Storm, which I can get them for Christmas when I can spend more time with them and also I can get online for 1/2 the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
2) we only have ~40 hours to hang out and will likely only have a few hours to play games. Figured we can learn and get into Splendor quickly and easily this weekend
3) I want to get them RftG with Gathering Storm, which I can get them for Christmas when I can spend more time with them and also I can get online for 1/2 the price.

Get Alien Artifacts instead of TGS, but don't play with the orb, just the new cards. It is more balanced in the paths to victory and my wife never wants to play the old expansion arc anymore. The orb makes it longer and adds turn order, which are 2 of the things that RFTG has going for it over other games. If you get TGS, I recommend also getting RvI for the additional player sets, start world choice, game cards and goals- although we always play with takeovers off. Takeovers are more complex and time consuming than the extra benefits- and the cards are balanced fine without them. Skip BoW no matter what you do- it reduces the balance and increases the amount of rules to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you could have both!

Good choice on Splendor. While I don't necessarily think its a better game than RftG, Race is starting to feel dated and could use either a fresh coat of paint (with consolidated expansions) or a re-implementation Roll for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony, what is that game in that photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonP wrote:
Tony, what is that game in that photo?

Looks like a rethemed version of Splendor (although some people might not think about it as REtheming as there was not much theme to start with whistle )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want my copy rethemed with trying to win the approval of dirty orcs.

Resources. Water, food, logs, young orcs, and mud. The wild one could be general filth and disorganization.

I really dislike the gem mining plus nobles theme. Ever so much more in that game as I do not greatly enjoy the mechanics.

Literally the best part of Splendor for me is the weight of the chips in my hand, and that was definitely built into the price I paid so it was my fair due.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So one could choose between Splendor rethemed or San Juan rethemed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:

You have chosen wisely.
While I like RftG better as a game...my friends do not. cry Splendor GETS PLAYED (and requested).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of RFTG (2-player only), its alright, but it doesn't excite me. I've played some Splendor. I like Splendor better.

RFTG 'feels' like too much randomness in the cards I get and that it destines my ability to win in one path only.

Contrary too what may be most peoples opinions, I see very little theme in RFTG, it seems very abstract to me. Splendor's mechanics and theme seems to be better connected. Splendor 'feels' to me like I have more control over what I purchase and more options in the route to winning.

Although neither game has a scintilla of direct player interaction, Splendor has more indirect player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.