Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules in the Sequence of Play (on pages 5 and 12), it states that "Each runner takes a turn, beginning with the starting runner" and that "the starting runner remains the same throughout the games".

Yet, in Ending a Scene on page 9, the rules state that "Play continues in the next Scene with the runner who had the first choice to buy a card" (which, if you read the entire paragraph, was the runner to the left of the runner who defeated the last obstacle.

If this is a contradiction to the general rule for this mission only, when does the Round begin/end. The general rules state that the new Crossfire card it put into play by the starting runner, who will not necessarily be starting the round according to the Ending a Scene rules cited above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'starting runner' is reference to the first player that you pick at the beginning of the game that flips over the cards from the crossfire deck. You can pick anyone to be that person but the recommendation is the person with the most hit points.

When the a scene ends and the next begins it picks up from the person to the left of the person who defeated the last obstacle. But this person isn't the new 'starting runner'. They just getsto play the first card in the next scene.

- we made this mistake too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, as I quoted above, the rules state that each round, each runner takes a turn "beginning with the starting runner". In practice, I would do as your suggest, but it's not what the rules state. Also, I would pass the crossfire deck to the "new" starting runner for the round so that who began the round can be easily remembered...it serves no purpose to have the same player holding on to the crossfire deck and flipping its cards if he is not the starting runner for the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Your quote says each "round" begin with the starting runner. That's very different from each "scene". The reason you'd want to continue play order and not pass the Crossfire deck is to provide a little built-in relief from flipping another Crossfire card. Say in a 4 player game, the starting player ends the scene. Player 2 starts the next scene but you won't have a Crossfire card for 3 more turns, until it gets back around to the starting player. It all follows the rules as written. Plus keep in mind that any text in a mission setup would override the rules as written as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could agree with your reasoning as well, but then wouldn't the round starting the next scene not be beginning with the starting runner? I also agree that the mission rules override the general rules, but that round definition keeps tripping me up.

Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Your quote says each "round" begin with the starting runner. That's very different from each "scene". The reason you'd want to continue play order and not pass the Crossfire deck is to provide a little built-in relief from flipping another Crossfire card. Say in a 4 player game, the starting player ends the scene. Player 2 starts the next scene but you won't have a Crossfire card for 3 more turns, until it gets back around to the starting player. It all follows the rules as written. Plus keep in mind that any text in a mission setup would override the rules as written as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's not a new round. It's a new scene. Why should the round reset just because the scene changed? That would mean the first couple of players would have more turns overall then the 3rd and 4th players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LE MM
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically how it works is as follows: There are two structures that are not sub- or super-sets of each other:

Rounds: These govern things like when Crossfire cards are discarded/revealed, and other such things depending on the mission.

Scenes: These govern things as specifically described in the mission. When one ends, generally people get to heal and take a free extra trip around the table using the buy action. The active Crossfire card is tucked at the end of the scene in Crossfire.

So when you end a scene, you haven't also ended a round (unless the next player also happens to be the first player). So for instance, you might finish out the current round with no active Crossfire card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks!

Ellyemem wrote:
Basically how it works is as follows: There are two structures that are not sub- or super-sets of each other:

Rounds: These govern things like when Crossfire cards are discarded/revealed, and other such things depending on the mission.

Scenes: These govern things as specifically described in the mission. When one ends, generally people get to heal and take a free extra trip around the table using the buy action. The active Crossfire card is tucked at the end of the scene in Crossfire.

So when you end a scene, you haven't also ended a round (unless the next player also happens to be the first player). So for instance, you might finish out the current round with no active Crossfire card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls